Euphonium

drumandbass

Hi I’m currently looking for a new euphonium. Give me your recommendations. Thinking Geneva Symphony or either a sovereign or prestige. Any issues people have had ? After sales care etc. thanks

Rob Dawson

Sovereigns are known for their poor build during the 90’s though if you find a good one then they’re well worth the money. I believe the early prestige’s are a good buy. I had one new at the end of 2017. It was poor. The valves needed attention on a weekly basis. It was literally always in bits and the only time I felt confident with it was directly after I’d put it back together. Prior to that I had a sterling virtuoso - also from new. That too had build issues. Now I play a Geneva (GVL cardinal oldroyd) and it’s superb. The intonation is good, build quality is great with valves that barely require any attention and a sound....I know the price is a bit higher but than the instruments listed but if it’s possible then give them a look. Superb and a life time guarantee to boot!

jobriant

Hi I’m currently looking for a new euphonium. Give me your recommendations. ...
I have multiple friends here in California who are greatly impressed with the Wessex Compensating Euphonium. Made in China, but after a couple of years of owning them, they say they're as durable as any American or European brand, that they play well and have good intonation. In the USA they're priced around US$ 3500.00.

simonium

New or new to you? Also depends on your budget, but I’d personally be looking at a reconditioned round stamp B&H as there seem to be a few coming up for sale. I’ve owned Bessons of all types ( I can’t remember how many, 13 or so) and the 1980s ones are good (indicated by Besson stamped in the bell rather than engraved ) but the UK prestiges are dreadful; the German ones play better but are no better finished, although I will concede the three I had issues with were very early ones.

I’d agree with Moomin about the Neo - it’s an outstandingly good modern hooter. If it’s only sound your interested in the round stamp, in my opinion for what it’s worth, cannot be equalled.

I tried Sterling and I’ve tried Geneva, both of which have their strong points (Sterling sounded old fashioned which I likeX and the age Eva was ergonomically good, if too heavy). I’d look at Adams too, as they seem to be innovating rather than simply copying a fifty year old design. Compared to a Prestige they’re not expensive either.

Tom1313

I have a Yamaha 842TS Euphonium since March . It’s the best Euphonium I have ever played . The valves are absolutely amazing and are the Rolls Royce of valves . The instrument took me about two months to get used to, but so worth it. A glorious sound, amazing register, both low and high . I had a Wessex for five years. The valves were terrible , I had to have so much work done on them !. The intonation on certain notes was awful and it had a air leak too. However It did have a very good case . The instrument also dented very easily when putting it down or on its side .I also tried Adams Euphonium ‘s but of the three I tried only one had a great valve action. So it’s The Yamaha for me, I did also try the other two Yamahas .Valves were good , but I preferred the 842, pricey but well worth it

BigBlaster

Hi I’m currently looking for a new euphonium. Give me your recommendations. Thinking Geneva Symphony or either a sovereign or prestige. Any issues people have had ? After sales care etc. thanks
I believe Elliott Euphoniums are great and really reasonably priced and can be purchased in the UK through Brass Toff.

TimEuph

They are not seen much in the Brass Banding World. But for me the Adams E3 (with Sterling Silver bell) is the best euphonium I've ever played. Response in fantastic and I really love the sound I get from it.
I've tried them all and nothing could beat the Adams E3 for me.

Here is me playing mine:

Bottom line... Try as many as you can and get what fits you. Don't get a euph because player X is playing one....