Euphonium mouthpieces

HunkySteve

IMHO, whatever floats your boat.

I use a SM4 in my Euph and a DW 4AL in my Trom because they are so similar and I dont get embouchure probs when switching (well no more than normal anyhow :oops: )

Remember the Rudy Muck cushion rim mouthpieces for trumpet/cornet? (and maybe other instruments too) They were screwed on to chops by everyone from jobbing dance-band players to dedicated brass banders, but died out in the late 60s. I think they've been dug up now...

BR

HunkySteve

weuphl

I use an SM4 as it was similar to the 4AL I used for years. Arrived recently at a practice a bit late - pulled out a mouthpiece from my case - remember thinking afterwards - felt good tonight - yes it was the 4AL and not the SM4 I had pulled out!!

All in the mind? :roll:

Okiedokie of Oz

I played 2nd Euph under protest once, and I was given a new Sovereign, with the standard DW4. While the instrument itself was sweet, I found the lower register forced, and got sore chops up high. I went slightly bigger to the SM3 and ironed out a lot of problems. Next time, I may go bigger again, but it'll probably cost me in the upper register :evil:

Dave Euph

I have a Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL ... but I must admit I'm not very knowledgeable on what's what. This mouthpiece for me is comfortable and produces a decent tone.

Seedhouse

I think what you've got to remember is that what one person may like another may not. Just because someone says"oh, this mouthpiece is good" doesn't mean it'll work for you.

I use a Bach 4G, which is very nice to play,but after a while i've found that my playing especially when I play louder is actually barking (no pun intended!). The mouthpiece just doesn't work for me so i'm probs going
to change back to the SM4.

Try many mouthpieces out, and see what you like about them. Then get one with all the aspects that you want.
There is no "best" mouthpiece.

MoominDave

Ditch the Denis Wick xALs!
Horrible wide rims...

VB 2G for me - lovely fat sound, and, after years of playing on a DW 3AL, I found an instant improvement in flexibilityand articulation in the high range.

Dave

HunkySteve

Scuse me for saying so, but on a Bass Trom I agree completely!
I use a VB 1.5 on a Bass Trom. DW anything doesnt cut it for me on that...

Dont have a Bass Trom in my current instrument set (got the MP though...)

BR

Hunky STeve

dkinzett

What are the differences between the old Dennis wick 4AL and the SM4, and between the 3AL and SM3?

I have always liked the sound from my 3AL, but find endurence up high too compromised, so use a 4AL normally.

Does anyone here use a Joseph Klier?

Cheers

David

Seedhouse

Yup the link provides all details about how Steven has designed and changed the mouthpieces. I personally find them better than their old versions.
You must remember that with changing mouthpieces, you do not get immediate benefits from changing. Things DO NOT happen overnight and you will have to try them for at least a month to see whether they are suitable for you (in my opinion).
Others may disagree, but I seriously doubt that you can see that a mouthpiece is better for you from one practice session, as there will be no time for changes/ adjustments to be made for the change of mouthpiece.

MoominDave

HunkySteve said:
Scuse me for saying so, but on a Bass Trom I agree completely!
I use a VB 1.5 on a Bass Trom. DW anything doesnt cut it for me on that...

Dont have a Bass Trom in my current instrument set (got the MP though...)

BR

Hunky STeve

For years I had it in my head: 'VB suits Trombone, DW suits Euphonium'. Now I'm drawn to the conclusion that DW doesn't suit anything... (Leaving aside the SM range, which I'm not familiar with)

Dave

Dave

neiltwist

Seedhouse said:
Yup the link provides all details about how Steven has designed and changed the mouthpieces. I personally find them better than their old versions.
You must remember that with changing mouthpieces, you do not get immediate benefits from changing. Things DO NOT happen overnight and you will have to try them for at least a month to see whether they are suitable for you (in my opinion).
Others may disagree, but I seriously doubt that you can see that a mouthpiece is better for you from one practice session, as there will be no time for changes/ adjustments to be made for the change of mouthpiece.

and also, a move can sound and feel good at first, but then drop off, or feel really good, but sound bad to others!

blue euph

"Things DO NOT happen overnight and you will have to try them for at least a month to see whether they are suitable for you (in my opinion).
Others may disagree, but I seriously doubt that you can see that a mouthpiece is better for you from one practice session, as there will be no time for changes/ adjustments to be made for the change of mouthpiece."

That was my experience when I started using the SM3, two years ago. I was previously using the Bowman BB1. They didn't give me the sound and gave I wanted for my euph. which I just bought at the time. I went through a couple of months of rebuilding my range a bit and just getting air. It was a bit nerve whacking at the time as I was in the middle of putting together my senior recital at university but that's why they evented summer holidays for :) . The 3 at times for me, almost gave me a too big of a sound but that might have to do with the players I was playing with the concert band and brass band that I was playing at the time.

I have used the SM4 as well. The 4 is a touch less taxing getting air through the horn but to me, the low register doesn't respond as well as the 3. If you like the shilke 51D and find the SM3 a bit too big, the 4 will work nicely for a person.

For my trombone, I use the shilke 51D, I don't have too much problems switching mouthpiece wise on either of the Mead mouthpieces I use and the shilke on trombone.

In the end, it just gets down to the persons lips, tastes etc. what may work for one person may not work for another.

jamie the euph

mouthpiece's

Hi i play on a sm4 mouthpiece but started euph on a 4al which is the most popular euph mouthpiece and is a really good one in my opinion!
After playin on a 4al i went on to a sm5 because i had ordered a sm4 but got sent a sm5 so put up with it and it was great in the sense of range because it was like playing a baritone u could play with a massive higher range.but the lower range i felt suffered and the sound was to thin for my liking!so i decided to move on to a sm4 which i am currently on. i feel it givs a warmer more finished sound and is overall very gud in case of range control etc!but i am contenplainting moving on to a sm3.5 which doesnt sound like there will be much diffrence but there is a lot and u can feel it but the players sound becomes even more fuller but u loose some control in your playing, range in ur playing etc but i guess u have 2 start from scratch and redevelop ur ombrovich(dunno how 2 spell it!)but i dont want to because im happy with mine at the moment!any1 else thaught bout the effects of there diffrent mouthpieces??

Brad J

I’ve just moved from to Euph from Baritone and have tried out the 4AL and the SM4 (I didn’t try the 3’s – a 4 takes enough wind at the moment :) ) and they were both good, but I was more of a fan of the 4AL’s more traditional sound. For some reason I felt like I was blending in better in a band situation as well.

I used an SM6 on the Baritone, and it made a difference compared to a 6BS. Added a lot of colour.

Personally, I use an SM3.

Having tried loads of mouthpieces. Bach, DW, Shilke etc. etc. I find it's the best combination for myself and my euph (Large Bell Prestige).

I did find an SM3 was pretty good on a Yamaha Maestro, but also the 4G seemed well suited to that particular combination.

These days I stick to a 4G on trombone, but I have been very happy the the SM3. Infact I have been with this mouthpiece for over 4 years, which to some is a very long time indeed.

At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal preference. What works for you need not be a good combination for someone else. There are some who are always on the quest for the perfect mouthpiece.....one could argue there's no such thing. For me the SM3 is the best, for me, so far. In my opinion the SM range were the first mpce that were designed specifically with the Euph in mind, not trombone mpces that were used for Euph playing. Works for me anyway.

So that's my opinion, if it counts for anything.