Errata sheet for Comedy Overture?

flatatone

Here is tones of mistakes written all over the parts in comedy, it is best just to sit down at a sectional with the score and pick them out, and line your part up with the score.

GJG

flatatone said:
Here is tones of mistakes written all over the parts in comedy, it is best just to sit down at a sectional with the score and pick them out, and line your part up with the score.

Unfortunately that's only half the battle; there are also many inconsistencies between unison parts within the score itself. I can think of one quaver passge which has three different patterns of slurs and articulations between the different parts in the score. Unfortunately, there's no-one alive to ask which one is correct!

geordiecolin

Yeah, we sat down and had a 2 hour bass sectional, most of which was spent correcting parts.

To be honest, Comedy is a disgrace. If you'd bought a car and all the gears were in the wrong place, you'd sure as hell take it back!!

Ian Bartram

Comedy

jimmythesaint said:
Has anyone found problems in any of the parts? We're findingthat not all of the individual parts correspond with the score and with other parts around the band?
Is anyone else having problems with this and is there a known errata sheet?
Look forward to your responses.
Regards
James
Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band

There are lots of discrepancies between the score and the parts.

(i) The adjudicator will have the score in the box.

(ii) Correct the parts to agree with the score (part of a conductor's job!)

(iii) Adjudicator happy (???!!!)

QED

Ian

stevetrom

we did consider playing a totally different piece and saying that it was Comedy but we had corrected all the errors in the parts -It might make someone laugh and that is surely the whole idea of a Comedy :)

Laserbeam bass

Ian Bartram said:
There are lots of discrepancies between the score and the parts.

(i) The adjudicator has the score in the box.

(ii) Make sure the parts agree with the score.

(iii) Adjudicator happy (???!!!)

QED

Ian

All well and good, but there appears to be two different scores doing the rounds. One of my fellow BBb bass players advised me of an errata in his part and score, that is not the same in my part and score. I know that one dynamic marking in the BBb bass part will not make the greatest difference to any score, but if the adjudicator has the other version how many other discrepancies are there likely to be over a 12 minute piece:ranting2:

Laserbeam bass

stevetrom said:
we did consider playing a totally different piece and saying that it was Comedy but we had corrected all the errors in the parts -It might make someone laugh and that is surely the whole idea of a Comedy :)

And there was mew thinking that the reason for the name was that the basses play off the beat, instead of on :confused:

Ian Bartram

Laserbeam bass said:
All well and good, but there appears to be two different scores doing the rounds. One of my fellow BBb bass players advised me of an errata in his part and score, that is not the same in my part and score. I know that one dynamic marking in the BBb bass part will not make the greatest difference to any score, but if the adjudicator has the other version how many other discrepancies are there likely to be over a 12 minute piece:ranting2:

Yup - ain't life a bitch.

Well, seriously, the intelligent and musical conductors will be able to make the right decisions.

Ask the man-in-the-middle.

Ian

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Surely, the idea of having a man-in-the-middle is that he has absolutely nothing to do with the music - he's just there to look grand and wave his arms about a lot. ;)

However, can you guarantee that your man-in-the-middle is making the right decisions?

Conspiracy theory anyone? Aidan?

Ian Bartram

AndyCat said:
I brought this up with a member of the Test Piece Selection panel 2 weeks ago, so the problem has been raised with them.

Slightly difficult one though, as John Ireland is unavailable at present!

Yes, John Ireland is no longer with us - but his original hand-written score should be: somewhere in the bowels of R.Smith & Co.

Before Claudio Abbado recorded the complete Schubert symphonies he checked with Schubert's original scores in the archives of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna - with some startling results, and produced outstanding recordings of Schubert's intentions.

This goes back to my point that it's part of a conductor's responsibility to ensure the composer's intentions are faithfully communicated (and not just to band contest adjudicators).

It's not a huge job with a little 12 minute piece to proof-read the published score and parts against the original score (if it's available) and issue errata. In our band contest scene this would be best done by one competent person (on behalf of all bands). Just make sure a musician does it.

On the other hand - why select a test piece riddled with errors? (Beyond the irony of the title).
Did the selection panel know of the errors before choosing Comedy? If not, why not?
I think we should be told.
If they did know, surely an errata sheet should have been issued by them at the earliest opportunity through Contest Management.

Any complaints about it should be sent to Contest Management - your Regional Committee.
Good luck.

Ian

Will the Sec

Boys and Girls,

If you do find anymore errors in Comedy, PLEASE PM THEM TO ME rather than posting them here.

Thanks

Will the Coordinator

GJG

Ian Bartram said:
[1] Yes, John Ireland is no longer with us - but his original hand-written score should be: somewhere in the bowels of R.Smith & Co.

... ...

[2] It's not a huge job with a little 12 minute piece to proof-read the published score and parts against the original score (if it's available) and issue errata. In our band contest scene this would be best done by one competent person (on behalf of all bands). Just make sure a musician does it.

[1] Less likely than you might think; I recently had a conversation with a well-known composer and arranger of light music (not just for brass bands), when I was trying to track down an original m/s full score for one of his arrangements for concert orchestra with a view to making a (legit!) brass band arrangement myself. The published set for orchestra only included a short score, and I was hoping he might be able to point me in the right direction, however he assured me that, once the first print run was released, the publishers (who, at that time were not in the habit of producing full-scores) would have automatically destroyed all original m/s materials. The concept of publishers archiving such materials is, apparently, relatively recent. (I can't really say who the person was - the conversation was kind of "off-the-record" :wink: ). Consequently, R.Smith may well not possess an original m/s copy of something released as long ago as "Comedy".

Even if they did, leading onto [2], how likely is it that the handwritten m/s itself would be error-free? I would have thought this is why composers/arrangers and publishers have always employed Editors, is it not?

Or perhaps they don't anymore ...

NeilW

At least the MD is now asking if we've got the accents/dynamics/phrasing marked rather than just blaming us for not playing it right :tup

Almost every practice there's a new "missing mark" on the Euph parts... I wish I had the time to go right through the score and find all the others in one hit!

I wish I'd been organised enough to differentiate between "missing marks" that are in the score and not the part and things the MD wants (i.e. our interpretation!). If I had I'd pm the first category off to Will...

Neil.

Product tMP members are discussing