Ern Keller

ted

** International Soloist of the Year **
Kevin Joughin from South Australia won on cornet, playing Concertpiece no.1 by Brandt.

Other soloists were
Daniel Alexander - New South Wales - Euphonium - Euphonium Concerto (Cosma)
Amanda Casagrande - Queensland - Flugel - Weber's Last Waltz (Rimmer)
David Chaulk - New Zealand - Trumbone - Sonatine pour Trombone et Piano (Casterede)
Joe Cook - Australian Champion (Tasmania) - Euphonium - Zigeunerweisen (Mendez)
Paul de Cinque - Western Australia - Trumpet - Carnival of Venice (Arban)
Alexandra Kerwin - GB - Cornet - Slavische Fantasie (Hohne)

Alexandra performed really well, I had her picked as my winner.

** Quartet Championship **
Waratah Brass won.

** Band of the Year **
Waratah Brass won from
Gunnedah Shire Band
St Marys Band Club Brass Band
Sutherland Shire Brass
Willoughby City Band

Mark Ford was the adjudicator for all events.

The "Band of the Year" competition will be available on DVD. However there are were a lot of noise from the audience during the contest, most noticibly baby screams. (the solo and quartet event won't be on DVD)

Ted
St Marys Band Club Brass Band

Okiedokie of Oz

Isn't thjat four years in a row for Waratah??? Ron Prussings must be REALLY happy! Especially since I hear he didn't do too well last year @ the Nats

PeterBale

Staff member
Dave Payn said:
It's what happens when a trumpet and trombone mate. Watch out for the other cross-breed, the trompet.
When my Dad used to do Old Tyme Musical, one of his frequent party pieces was to play on a trumpet fitted with a clarinet mouthpiece - you've guessed it, the CLARUMPET :wink:

Dave Payn

PeterBale said:
Dave Payn said:
It's what happens when a trumpet and trombone mate. Watch out for the other cross-breed, the trompet.
When my Dad used to do Old Tyme Musical, one of his frequent party pieces was to play on a trumpet fitted with a clarinet mouthpiece - you've guessed it, the CLARUMPET :wink:

I thought he might have used that opportunity to crack a gag about playing with a bit of 'crumpet'!! :shock: :lol:

fitzmark

Just making a correction to the list of performers at the Ern Keller. Mark Fitzpatrick from Victoria also performed the Haydn Trumpet Concerto. For some strange reason I was left out of that list given on here!

Mark

PeterBale

Staff member
fitzmark said:
Just making a correction to the list of performers at the Ern Keller. Mark Fitzpatrick from Victoria also performed the Haydn Trumpet Concerto. For some strange reason I was left out of that list given on here!

Mark
Good to hear from you, Mark. Hope you enjoyed the experience :lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ted and hiya Mark, it was good to see you.

I was very pleased with the way I played, I even wore a dress (my goodness!!) But anyway, congratulations to Kevin Joughin.

I had a fantastic time in Australia. I played a solo concert with Waratah Brass which went really well and I also played with them in the Band competition and won with them, which was nice.

By the way, St Mary's Band Club is some place, amazing.

Cheers Okie as well :lol:

Okiedokie of Oz

Kerwintootle said:
Cheers Okie as well :lol:

Would've loved to beent here for ya, but unfortunately...poor timing. Well I suppose everyone has whinged about the timing of Qld championships for years!