English Nationals 2010

Pav

Isn't a better football analogy the winners of the FA Cup qualifying for Europe until one year a 1st division side wins it and you retrospectively decide not to allow them in.

cornetshell

Thank you for clarifying your original post, I must have mis-interpreted your opening statement about “…one [band] from Lancashire :( who have never been above them in the rankings…” which you have clearly marked out as Wingates (Although I am sure there are others of the same criteria being in the mix)

Football was a poor analogy for me to have chosen (especially as I know so little!) – though you probably explain a better football analogy above, Pav – is there actually a contest you could win that would allow you entry in into the English Nationals?

My upset wasn’t about the innacuracy of the line-up criteria or that people seem quite so stung that Hammonds are not there; more that you would choose to single out Wingates as your example band and a band you feel don’t deserve to be there, yet they would seemingly fit in the line up better simply by being a Championship section band.

Why could you not just state that you felt Hammonds should have been there - Why did you feel you had to put another band down in the process of making your point?

DublinBass

Supporting Member
Football was a poor analogy for me to have chosen (especially as I know so little!) – though you probably explain a better football analogy above, Pav – is there actually a contest you could win that would allow you entry in into the English Nationals?

The Championship section at the Areas. However, I believe it would be impossible to win the areas and then be officially demoted before the English Nationals.

Pav

Well if you won the Open you'd be top 20!

My only issue with the whole thing is the criteria is the regional winners of the championship plus the x highest ranked bands. If they had said the x highest championship section bands then fair enough.

It's a funny one but there's no reason why a 1st section band shouldn't compete in these contests if they qualify (think Imps were still in the Open when they dropped into the 1st briefly).

If you ever want a meaningful 1st section it has to lose it's stigma.

Lauradoll

Anyone else notice that Reg Vardy are missing from the line up as well? Would be nice to know the date of the rankings used for the selection.

Yeah, we're not there but no point in making a song and dance about it is there? Obviously there are other bands that deserve to be there above us so we can't really complain, can we? ;-)

Masterblaster jnr

Well if you won the Open you'd be top 20!

My only issue with the whole thing is the criteria is the regional winners of the championship plus the x highest ranked bands. If they had said the x highest championship section bands then fair enough.

It's a funny one but there's no reason why a 1st section band shouldn't compete in these contests if they qualify (think Imps were still in the Open when they dropped into the 1st briefly).

If you ever want a meaningful 1st section it has to lose it's stigma.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong here, but did Ashton Under Lyne not perform in the open a couple of years back then two weeks later do the lower section nationals?

Pav

I will, just looked. 2005

Imps won the 1st section that year but didn't do the Open. Vague recollections of being given permission to miss a year because of a prior engagement.

Ali

I will, just looked. 2005

Imps won the 1st section that year but didn't do the Open. Vague recollections of being given permission to miss a year because of a prior engagement.

Ashton qualified from the shield on maaqurade. Can't remember if they won it it not. Stayed in the open fit around 3 years including one while in the first section. Think they were relegated from the open that year ad well

scotchgirl

Surely clarification could be sought from the contest organisers...wouldn't that end all the speculation as to the reasons why certain bands have been invited and not others. There is no point in 'wondering' about it...go and ask!

critic

Ashton qualified from the shield on maaqurade. Can't remember if they won it it not. Stayed in the open fit around 3 years including one while in the first section. Think they were relegated from the open that year ad well

they were seccond .Hepwoth won it that year

rastock

As I understand it Hammonds were invited to the contest (as per the rules of the contest and not because of any appeal to the organisers), but for some reason were missed off the published list on 4BR. Hope this clears things up.

Hove Edge

As I understand it Hammonds were invited to the contest (as per the rules of the contest and not because of any appeal to the organisers), but for some reason were missed off the published list on 4BR. Hope this clears things up.

With respect....thats rubbish!....they were reading the wrong rankings me thinks

rastock

With respect....thats rubbish!....they were reading the wrong rankings me thinks

Maybe they were, who knows. I don't know at what point the band were invited, but they are invited to the contest as they should have been and that's all that matters. Good luck to all the bands! :)

ericthered

From what I've heard, they have no intrest in the contest or the loss of the £30,000 odd grand they lost attending the euros last time around. However, I have been proved wrong before.

This is the biggest worry. Grimey is one of the few bands with big sponsorship and earning power they were also given money from the National Lottery to attend the Euros in Stavanger and they still lose money?

What chance have a band e.g. the likes of Wingates, Redbridge, Hepworth, if they won the English National to then go on and attend the Euros?

Just the cost of fights and hotel comes in at around £20,000 if you assume 35 people i.e. band of 28 plus, conductor, band manager, secretary etc.

In Scotland the honour of attending seems to be passed around as the bands simply cannot afford it. In Wales outside of Cory who can afford it? OK maybe for one year but say for example Tradegar hit a purple patch and have the chance to do two or three years in a row...how many £30k trips can they afford? Great if you're YBS and have a sponsor picking up the tab.

A great contest to do but who wants to compete when it has more to do with who can afford to attend rather than playing ability. Especially when in the UK bands are at a disadvantage against our continetal cousins who get better support etc from their national and local government funding bodies.

Anno Draconis

A pound to a pinch of sh!t says that Briggus ain't going to Preston next year, however I bet they'll give their all to get to London.

Why do you say that Bayerd??? Do you know something we dont at Brighouse? If you are going to come out with statements like that and name a specific band please back it up with some solid evidence.

Clearly he did! Or he's been channelling the spirit of Old Mother Shipton again. Any chance of Fridays euromillions numbers?

ill be surprised if brighouse arnt at preston

Funny old world :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Attending the Europeans

This is the biggest worry. Grimey is one of the few bands with big sponsorship and earning power they were also given money from the National Lottery to attend the Euros in Stavanger and they still lose money?

With respect, not necessarily about if money was lost or not....more about priorities within the band, and the fact that the Europeans just does not have the same sort of pull as it used to have...IMHO It is just not worth all the effort for what is now a bit of a tin pot contest...please remember this is my opinion..And as for the qualifying contest, well don't get me started on that shambles...

Product tMP members are discussing