Engagements over Christmas

MattB

Just wondering how many jobs in general people have got over Christmas? I have worked out that between both Junior and Senior bands I am going to be out for 20 of the 25 days up to Christmas Day! A

Anybody else this busy (or should it be mad!)?

Dave Payn

I used to be similarly busy Matt, but I've cut down in the last couple of years as I'm sure overwork in frequently outside and wet conditions contributed to me getting a very heavy cold and then flu two Christmases running. Oddly enough, this weekend is my busiest with a job this afternoon, tomorrow and Sunday. I've still got a few rehearsals to negotiate too (even a few here at PRS. They do a pop/rock concert every year and they have a backing band which I'm in!) but generally less busier than in previous years. Pretty glad too!

Regards

cornetchap

Watford Band have about 6 engagements over Christmas which I think is a bit down on previous years.

However, when I played with a band in Sheffield we'd split into to 2 smaller bands and each band would be out every other night in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas, mostly at pubs to lead carol singing. Is it just me or do more southerly bands/pubs not practise this fine art of public communal carol singing? I used to love it, I've never heard better carol singing than that in a packed pub, singing While Shepherds to one of about 16 local tunes.

One disgusting memory though, is of being in a pub so crowded, hot and smokey that nicotine was literally condensing on the high ceiling and dripping onto our white shirts!

Cheers, Greg.

leisa

ive got about 20 all added together with ssbb, flixton, my old school band and the college orchestra the week after next weeks my buisiest as i have a concert or rehearsl every night

Aidan

smithills school band have AT LEAST 1 every day in december including full band small ensemble and quintet gigs. Don't think any band can beat this

Dave Euph

Christmas jobs ... don't get me started. I've actually got quite a few this year but I've pulled out of some thanks to uni work ... thank god!

asteria

Lauradoll said:
Em Helen, shall we confess to our schedule, or is it taking the mick!!!?

Erm, yeah, it does seem a bit daft that we only have the one tiny christmas concert this year. Think it really would be cruel to say where it was tho :wink:

Anyone else have a bah-humbug conductor who hates christmas?!

andyp

1 or 2 concerts per week, plus Friday + Saturday nights carolling, and Xmas morning "down the village".
Then nothing till 6th Jan, phew!

Di

OK, between Vicki and Adam's bands here's how it goes:

5th Dec - Stardust* (Youth Band)
6th Dec - Stardust (Youth Band)
7th Dec - Church service (Youth Band)
8th Dec - Last band practice (Youth band)
9th Dec - Last practice (Hathern Band)
10th Dec - Carol Concert (Youth Band)
11th Dec - A :D NIGHT :D OFF :D
12th Dec - Carols in the Market Place (Hathern)
..............- Stardust (Youth Band)
..............- Carolling**
13th Dec - Christmas Concert (Hathern)
..............- Stardust (although we won't be able to make this one!)
14th Dec - Carols for Radio Leicester (Youth Band)
..............- Horn lesson in Manchester!
15th Dec - Southwark Cathedral London (Barclays Bank Brass Band)
16th Dec - Church service (Youth Band)
17th Dec - Church service (Youth Band)
18th Dec - Stardust (Youth Band)
19th Dec - Stardust (Youth Band)
..............- Hathern Club (Hathern)
..............- Works Christmas do :D Had to drop out of above! :cry:
20th Dec - Stardust (Youth Band)
..............- Scouts & Guides Christmas singalong (carolling** group)
21st Dec - Marks & Spencers (Youth Band)
..............- The streets of Hathern am
..............- Hathern Church evening

:shock:

* Nice job, short indoor concert.
** Vicki, Adam and couple of friends hit the local pubs!

We have got 17 this year.

Last weekend we our busiest. Playing at The festival of christmas in Portsmouth dockyard, 6 times in all.
Plus lots of drinking :guiness

cornetchap said:
when I played with a band in Sheffield we'd split into to 2 smaller bands and each band would be out every other night in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas, mostly at pubs to lead carol singing. Is it just me or do more southerly bands/pubs not practise this fine art of public communal carol singing? I used to love it, I've never heard better carol singing than that in a packed pub, singing While Shepherds to one of about 16 local tunes.
Cheers, Greg.

It wasn't Loxley band by any chance was it?

It was my training band and I have never been as busy at Chrristmas as I was then.
I used to love it too

cornetchap

It wasn't Loxley band by any chance was it?

It was my training band and I have never been as busy at Chrristmas as I was then.
I used to love it too[/quote]

Aye it was! Loved, and to this day, it is one of the things I miss. I was up at the Shoulder of Mutton in Worrall where my mum lives wondering if they were going to have a band.

When the family's old enough I'll have to try and sneak away for a weekend with my cornet :)

When were you with Loxley? I was there from around '81 to '86, Mark Rotchell was MD.

Cheers, Greg.

Straightmute

Helen V said:
Anyone else have a bah-humbug conductor who hates christmas?!

<innocence> No, certainly not! </innocence>

We have one big gig on the stage of Harrogate International Conference Centre and then six or seven money spinners and charity events around the town, but nothing too heavy.

D

cornetchap said:
When were you with Loxley? I was there from around '81 to '86, Mark Rotchell was MD.

Cheers, Greg.

Missed you by quite a while. I was there from '94 to '99
Took my son to learn cornet and ended up learning bass myself.
I think the Christmas carols were the first things I really learnt to play properly, probably because of the number of times we played them.
I still think they are the best arrangements I have come across of the Local carols.
Mark Rotchell had left, I think he conducts a choir now. His brother Peter is playing in Chapeltown Band where I play now

After reading this thread I am actually counting my blessings! Last year Wem were out (rehearsal or engagement) for 5 nights out of 7 in a busy week in December. Don't get me wrong I don't mind giving my time freely - am normally quite generous with that. It's the cost that we have to actually pay to do it. Both my husband and I play so there's normally childcare charges, which are at least £10 per evening. Also living 55 mile round trip from Wem there's a decent amount of fuel costs, also the cost of time off work for some engagements that don't tally in with work committments! Any other time of year and perhaps the cost wouldn't appear so noticeable but with having to pay Santa - it always adds an extra strain and makes me a bit of a bah-humbug! Last year our conductor was very understanding - cheers Rog! :wink:

HOWEVER

This year instead of moaning about it, we've been a bit ruthless when it's come to band and have either taken the children to engagement (it was only late night shopping - very informal) or have simply had to prioritise, in which band doesn't always come first! It's hard letting the band down and you do feel guilty but until Santa makes playing in a brass band a paid profession - xmas will be full of tough banding choices for us!

Steve

Havent had a night off banding for 2 weeks thanks to xmas, am well and truly sick of it already!!! The concerts seem to start earlier every year and i will have done about 20 gigs by the time xmas actually gets here. :( Moan over!!!

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
Try my trick. I work in Santas Grotto so I'm usually working at the same time the band has most of their Christmas engagements