Eccleston band old-timer

Richard Knock

Grandfather violinist, was a dance-band leader in the 1920s, so I naturally had violin lessons as a kid. Did quite well (8 grade) but at 13 discovered jazz through AFN broadcasts after the war, so bought a trumpet for £5 and practiced. Went to sea at 16 and sat in with a number of bands in Trinidad, Lagos, and Mombasa. Married aged 26, Got a job ashore at 30, and was a founder member of Eccleston Brass. Now unfortunately (though fortunately for me) the only founder left. 50 years this year (2019). Formed my own jazzband in 1987 the Yarrow River Jazzband, and played many festivals with them (Keswick, Llangollen, Marsden) many times. Recorded 5 CDs and played for a week at a major festival in Szakesfehervar, Chorley’s twin town. Eccleston did me the honour of making me their president this year. Love music, and especially Eccleston Brass. Constantly worry about my teeth!

PeterBale

Staff member
Grandfather violinist, was a dance-band leader in the 1920s, so I naturally had violin lessons as a kid. Did quite well (8 grade) but at 13 discovered jazz through AFN broadcasts after the war, so bought a trumpet for £5 and practiced. Went to sea at 16 and sat in with a number of bands in Trinidad, Lagos, and Mombasa. Married aged 26, Got a job ashore at 30, and was a founder member of Eccleston Brass. Now unfortunately (though fortunately for me) the only founder left. 50 years this year (2019). Formed my own jazzband in 1987 the Yarrow River Jazzband, and played many festivals with them (Keswick, Llangollen, Marsden) many times. Recorded 5 CDs and played for a week at a major festival in Szakesfehervar, Chorley’s twin town. Eccleston did me the honour of making me their president this year. Love music, and especially Eccleston Brass. Constantly worry about my teeth!
Welcome Richard - you've certainly had a varied musical life! Hope you enjoy sharing on tMP.