Ebbw Vale Contest News - Ooops!

lynchie

could solve the adjudicator quality argument... just grab the first guy to walk past the hall on the day!

wayne

I thought the ethics of this site was not to make personal attacks on people?? It's appears that some of you (who should know better) are enjoying having a laugh at Bryan Hurdley's expense, even though you have no idea of the circumstances behind this uncharacteristic oversight.

Although it caused inconvenience to the bands on the day and indeed much embarrassment to Bryan himself, he's not the first person to forget something or make a mistake during the course of his job.

I think he should be applauded for being honest with everyone and for not coming up with some poor excuse as I suggest most people would.

It would be very unwise of the Brass Band movement to alienate a Player, Conductor and adjudicator of Bryans quality because of ONE mistake.

wayne said:
I think he should be applauded for being honest with everyone and for not coming up with some poor excuse as I suggest most people would.
It would be very unwise of the Brass Band movement to alienate a Player, Conductor and adjudicator of Bryans quality because of ONE mistake.

Well said Wayne.

I can vouch for Bryan being a top class conductor and man. He must be absolutely mortified by what has happened. Indeed, he could have made up a monumental story to cover himself and he didn't. We've all made mistakes and it is unfortunate for Bryan that everyone seems to know about it and because Bryan himself doesn't post on here it makes him defenceless. I sincerely hope it doesn't affect his bookability so to speak because I think he is a very talented and decent person, we're human (well some of us anyway :wink: ) and we all make mistakes.

Suz

Ebbwvale

Kerwintootle said:
wayne said:

Well said Wayne.

I can vouch for Bryan being a top class conductor and man. He must be absolutely mortified by what has happened. Indeed, he could have made up a monumental story to cover himself and he didn't. We've all made mistakes and it is unfortunate for Bryan that everyone seems to know about it and because Bryan himself doesn't post on here it makes him defenceless. I sincerely hope it doesn't affect his bookability so to speak because I think he is a very talented and decent person, we're human (well some of us anyway :wink: ) and we all make mistakes.

Here here, nothing more to add to the above comments except to say it all sorted itself out in the end and the contest did not suffer as a consequence. End of story. I bet if we started a thread on worst mistake made at a contest it would be inundated with posts!!

edward_allen

I'm sorry but I disagree with the last three posts.

Sure, we all make mistakes. But how many of you have ever forgotten about a contest ? And if you did forget one, do you really think you would be relied on again ?

If I was an organiser, I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that the person who forgot (a) did not attach much importance to my contest and (b) could not be guaranteed to turn up next time. So I would not book them again.

Also I disagree that this is in any way personal. I would make this comment about anyone who forgot to adjuducate a contest.

What do you propose then? Shall we banish him? :wink: I know lets send him to that place full of criminals ( :lol: )............................Australia. I think a six month stretch would teach him a lesson. :lol:

(please note tongue placed firmly in cheek, sarcasm to the previous post is hard to pull off on the internet :roll: )

Sharpy

I agree we should give him a break. I've forgotten to take my instrument to an area contest before now! :oops:
Only problem was it was our now Principal Director of Music Royal Marines who was taking the band to the contest! Not a good carrer move!
Just remember the saying "He's not the first and he probably won't be the last......"

Delboy

Mmmm,

I've maintained silence on this topic as I am aware of the incident from Bryan himself.

As Wayne has already said this is totally out of character and has caused great embarassment to Bryan.

He has apologised to the organisers and been truthful as to what had happened.

Not everyone on this forum knows the full story, so to Edward Allen and anyone else who wants to sling some mud I would suggest that you tread carefully.

Delboy
No one wants to be slated by people who do not know them or know the full circumstances behind this topic.

I would ask the Moderators to watch the posts made on this topic.

Roger Thorne

wayne said:
I thought the ethics of this site was not to make personal attacks on people?? It's appears that some of you (who should know better) are enjoying having a laugh at Bryan Hurdley's expense, even though you have no idea of the circumstances behind this uncharacteristic oversight.
Let me know who's made a personal attack on Mr. Hurdley and the Moderators will deal with it. Although up to now we can't see anything wrong! :?
You and Delboy mention the circumstances behind this 'oversight'. I gather then that there's more to it than simply forgetting?

Although it caused inconvenience to the bands on the day and indeed much embarrassment to Bryan himself, he's not the first person to forget something or make a mistake during the course of his job.
Maybe not, but most people do this AT work. Come on, how many people actually 'forget' to go to work.

Couldn't agree more.

True, Brian is a great talent, and a personal friend, but I think this 'oversight' is likely to stick in contest organisers minds for some time to come.
If there is more to this than meets the eye and the reason was not simply just forgetting, then please bear in mind that the vast majority of people were unaware of this until you made your post.

:wink:

GOOD GRIEF :!:

What a reaction : :shock:

Thank you Mr Thorne, for defending those of us who tried to make light of a very bazzar set of circumstances, which on reflection,we can now laugh at ( for those of us who were actually in Ebbw Vale for hours and hours and hours)

I note from the locations of those who seem to have been offended by some of the comments and banter you probably wern't actually there.

Had you observed the sheer looks of horror on the organisers faces and the ensuing panic when it was realised "WEHAVE NO ADJUDICATOR" and then the relief at the sight of Nic Childs entering the Centre to go for a swim with the kids. and agreeing to step in.

Followed by the vibraphone breaking down, delaying events even more.

a 40+ youth band arriving expecting to play ay 8pm to find the 1st section was not quite half way through.

you may have not been quite so quick to react

Please give us a chance , it was a very long day, and yes i agree we do all forget now and again.
still think alien abduction was acceptable excuse though. :wink: :wink: :wink

Voldemort

Delboy said:
He has apologised to the organisers and been truthful as to what had happened.
Not everyone on this forum knows the full story
'the full story' . . . so the banding tabloids have only been given half the story then . . .

:dunno

rutty

LOL! Well, my own opinion is that if someone makes a big gaffe like this then they can expect some ribbing from their peers. Poor fella, I know how he feels ... ;)

Thegroupies said:
Thank you Mr Thorne, for defending those of us who tried to make light of a very bazzar set of circumstances, which on reflection,we can now laugh at ( for those of us who were actually in Ebbw Vale for hours and hours and hours)

Well said! It woz an extremely long day and altho many ppl were frustrated at the time i'm sure we can all laugh it off now!! :lol:

edward_allen

Does anyone know who will be in the box at Cambridge ?

In light of the events at Ebbw Vale, let's hope Nick Childs is swimming near by just in case...........

Delboy

Voldemort said:
'the full story' . . . so the banding tabloids have only been given half the story then . . .

The tabloids always print what they WANT to, irrelevant if they have received the full story or not. Some more than others in my opinion.

Anyway I'm now off to read 'The Sun' to find out what's REALLY happening in the world!

Delboy