Earplugs and playing

Mello

""higher section bands make a bigger sound, but that's as much down to better intonation and balance as it is to individual volume "".

I am not disagreeing with anything which has been said, but bear in mind many of the top bands have an audition process which tends to equate to cherry picking those players with good sounds to join their ranks.
Therefore it isnt surprising that the top bands do have bigger sounds . as each member has been selected , largely for their sound and importantly their tone quality.

( this type of audition factor also occurs in Orchestras , so that their brass section players are well matched soundwise.)
- obviously their audition process is more in depth than even our top bands Trumpets for example can include transposition and can ,even involve multi instrumental ability Picc , C Bb Flugel etc..

Tom-King

""higher section bands make a bigger sound, but that's as much down to better intonation and balance as it is to individual volume "".

I am not disagreeing with anything which has been said, but bear in mind many of the top bands have an audition process which tends to equate to cherry picking those players with good sounds to join their ranks.
Therefore it isnt surprising that the top bands do have bigger sounds . as each member has been selected , largely for their sound and importantly their tone quality.

( this type of audition factor also occurs in Orchestras , so that their brass section players are well matched soundwise.)
- obviously their audition process is more in depth than even our top bands Trumpets for example can include transposition and can ,even involve multi instrumental ability Picc , C Bb Flugel etc..
Absolutely, we're then talking about the next step again - in bands I've played with the better they get, it's balance and intonation that really swells the sound moreso than raw power (this is up to grand shield level, with the odd bit of depping with Open bands).

I don't doubt for a moment that even pickier bands will think about individual sound character and weight to take it a level further, I was just talking generally about trends in higher/lower sections.

Mello

Absolutely, we're then talking about the next step again - in bands I've played with the better they get, it's balance and intonation that really swells the sound moreso than raw power (this is up to grand shield level, with the odd bit of depping with Open bands).

I don't doubt for a moment that even pickier bands will think about individual sound character and weight to take it a level further, I was just talking generally about trends in higher/lower sections.
To help illustrate: The late Frank Bryce used to relate the time he first took a rehearsal with James Shepherd Versatile Brass, ( on his Toccata) He said . when they opened up, he was amazed at the weight of sound that hit and surrounded him. Like a thick wall of sound ....fabulous ...and there were only 9 brass players plus percussion.
"I couldnt believe the massive sound from so few players , and it was real quality "