Earlham 6 1/2 AL Mouthpiece, first impressions

Jack E

I spotted this one on Trevada's website, and at £24.11 inc. shipping, I thought it worth a punt. I compared it with the Wick 6BS that I've been using for several years on my JP 173 baritone, and the differences were immediately obvious. The cup in the Earlham mouthpiece is only about 1mm wider than the Wick, but the shape of the top is very different - much more radiused than the 'flat top, sharp edge' of the Wick, which makes it feel much larger when playing.

Internally, the Earlham is much shallower than the Wick - in a rough and ready comparison, seeing how far my index finger would go into both, the difference was about 1/8th of an inch (that index finger is very tapered at the end, having lost a straight fight with a hatchet nearly 60 years ago, so it goes pretty much to the bottom of the cup)

Early days, I know, but my first impressions on playing one after the other were that the Wick now feels a bit cramped - as though I'm having to sqidge my embouchure in to fit, whereas the Earlham feels like there's a lot more room - and with the pronounced radius on the top, it feels as though I've got more freedom to change my embouchure to cover different parts of the register, and to do it easily. In comparison, the Wick makes me feel as though altering my embouchure is sluggish - too much stiction!

As for the sound; I'm still getting my lip muscles back into full fitness, but, even so, it felt like everything had the freedom to open up with the Earlham - with the sound being fuller and richer. All in all, it looks very promising, so I'll only play with the Earlham for a month, and then try a cross-comparison with the Wick again.

Mind, I'm not knocking the Wick, by any means; I think it was Wendy (can't remember her user name!) suggested I try the 6BS several years ago, even though it was intended as a trombone mouthpiece, and it has served me very well indeed. I suspect that, if I had tried the Earlham back then, I wouldn't have got on with it at all well. But now? We'll see, and I'll keep you posted.

With best regards,
Jack

PS - I just checked back on Trevada's website, and I must have collared one of the last they had, as it no longer shows.

Vegasbound

all 61/2’s vary a lot, as do Wick’s from different era’s both in size and rim design and remember your still in the ‘ honeymoon period’ we all get with a new mouthpiece that said if it works for you then result!

Jack E

" . . . remember your still in the ‘ honeymoon period’ we all get with a new mouthpiece . . . "
. . . that's why I said I'll try it for a month, and only then play the Wick to give it a fair comparison.

With best regards,
Jack

Product tMP members are discussing