Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Use guests for Contests.

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapier

Supporting Member
Are you saying the tenor horn is easy? 1 month of practise can take any decent cornet player comfortably into the solo horn chair of a 1st class band like dyke or tred. Really?

It's just another brass instrument. So it isn't that hard to move from one to another without too much fuss. Watch Glyn Williams play most in one performance on You Tube.

If the player is already good enough to play at that level, it won't take them long to change. And I suspect most have played various other instruments during their banding life. I have, but the difference is I'm rubbish on all of them.

Aidan

To say that Ian isn't first class or experienced is also unfair. He spent several years in the mid nineties occupying the 2nd Euph seat in an excellent Faireys band as well as the last 12 months at Grimey........
and ybs, I'd say he was definately both first class and experienced, good signing there.

Aidan

Why didn't Nick get an established team on the end chairs and bring the youngsters in to learn their art in the sections?
I'm sure other people will have been asked too, it's not often you get your first choice to fill a position, even sometimes for bands the calibre of dyke.
The incoming principals are top class acts, of course there's always a gelling period with any new sounds in the band but I bet they are working their asses off to get things more than ship-shape asap.

Cath Ata

I think we are being a bit unfair to Dr Nick Childs and the band here.

The band have so many fine players and let's be honest, when players like Brett Baker, Morvern Gilchrist and Danny Sinclar are sticking by and supporting the Dr's decisions and sticking together to come through this rebuilding process, we can only interpret it as confidence in their leaders decisions and the quality of his leadership. Let's be honest, the players I've mentioned could play anywhere and te choose to play under Nick Childs.

It must count for something.

The band are superb and the overall quality of the musicians around the stand will ensure these new players will have the support they need to reach their potential.

The Dr has the confidence of his players, no one else is leaving. It's not an issue. Bring on the areas.

Bass Trumpet

Lancester Bomber is on the moon,

Being piloted by Lord Lucan, Freddie Mercury and Elvis. You mark my words!

I wouldn't dream of accusing any of our resident trolls of having multiple accounts. They always get too cocky and expose themselves in the end. I wonder how long the present bunch can keep it up?

Re. the topic? I don't have an opinion and couldn't care less about Dyke. I do, however wish I had an office in the bandroom like Dr Childs. I'll put it to the committee.....

MoominDave

You reckon the present trolls are different people from any of the previous groups / one single person?

The loft is certified asbestos-free, and the ceiling's only fallen down at one end. You can stand up in the middle, and you get light through the hatch. Deal?

DMBabe

Supporting Member
They could at least provide you with a torch..... although the batteries are your problem.:D

cplcharisma

Ok, so apart from some of the old and grumpy members taking the mikky, we have established that Morvern Gilchirst, Danny Sinclar and Brett are definatly not leaving.

Are there hints here that Marshall is? Is back to Grimethorpe the theme here?
Is Richard Marshall going back to Grimey?

BlowRob

Ok, so apart from some of the old and grumpy members taking the mikky, we have established that Morvern Gilchirst, Danny Sinclar and Brett are definatly not leaving.

Are there hints here that Marshall is? Is back to Grimethorpe the theme here?
Is Richard Marshall going back to Grimey?

Weird, because i've heard that he's stepping down to 3rd man, Paul Duffy's going on principal cornet, Glyn Williams is leaving Fodens and changing instrument on going on Sop there, meanwhile Mike Dodd and Matthew White are going on job-share duties at Fodens. Also heard Mr King is sacking all of B&R and replacing them with Boobs 'n' Brass for publicity.

Then again this could all be bull and i'm making up things with an unknown username to stir things...

cplcharisma

Brilliant. A job share. Now that would make sense. What about two doctors sharing one band.

How about Dr Thick and Dr Nick. 6 months at Dyke each.

That would be superb. A little like the film "Trading Places" I bet a dollar we wouldn't notice the difference! ;-) :clap:

Brett, Morvern and Danny will never leave Dyke. Stalwart material!

Status
Not open for further replies.