Durham Miners Gala 20101

Okay, so with just over 4 weeks till the big event on the 10th July, I was wondering who will be braving the streets of Durham and the surrounding collieries for this year's Miner's Gala. Murton will be there... who else is going?

youngblood

Over thirty bands booked in so far

I have been informed that there are already over thirty bands booked in so there are a lot more than have replied to the thread, would love to know who they are though!

Any bands from the South coming up for the Big One?

Every year there are more banners needing bands!

Just had word we have a band from Boston USA coming over with a party of 150+ to march with the Bowburn banner. They were here the year before last and are coming back so would love to see some more join in!

This is more than just another event this is history and something we should all do at least once. The sight of the banners, bands, cathedral and castle are something you never ever forget.

Lets make this year even better than last year where there were over 45 bands involved!

So let us know if you will be there this year!

YB

jockinafrock

Every year there are more banners needing bands!

Just had word we have a band from Boston USA coming over with a party of 150+ to march with the Bowburn banner. They were here the year before last and are coming back so would love to see some more join in!

Used to take part every year but can't due to work and location now. I assume this band has 150 playing members marching with the Bowburn Banner not including their own followers? Would they not be prepared to split themselves and provide at least a couple more separate 'bands' for some of the other communities? Just a thought. :D

youngblood

Good to think that....

. I assume this band has 150 playing members marching with the Bowburn Banner not including their own followers? Would they not be prepared to split themselves and provide at least a couple more separate 'bands' for some of the other communities? Just a thought. :D

Would be good if it were but that includes the followers and that is next year.

It is a great showcase for brass bands as a whole and great it is still going strong!

It's good to think the Gala is seen as worth saving up to travel across from America to play at!

bandless

Hi there - do you know of any bands at the Gala who could use an extra euph/bari?
I live down south now and haven't played in the Gala for years but I'm going to be in Durham that weekend
All the best
Bandless

Mrs Horn

Nelson Brass will be there helping out Horden Village - can't wait !! Never done the job before and I have been appointed driver for the day :eek:

Could do with a bass drummer to save one of our lads having to take the job on if anyone fancies it :wink:

One of our lads can't get a sitter, so he's bringing his two sons who are going to carry the Nelson Brass banners with specially made frames by our Principal Cornet who just happens to be away in Italy on the day :rolleyes:

Mrs Horn

What a fantastic day out that was - the atmosphere is electric !!

A very long day for us but very memorable :)

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
Hi there - do you know of any bands at the Gala who could use an extra euph/bari?
I live down south now and haven't played in the Gala for years but I'm going to be in Durham that weekend
All the best
Bandless
Many thanks for your help. We really appreciated it.

It was a great day until Stan got carried out in the ambulance with the blue lights and sirens blazing. Again many thanks to all those who rallied round to help