Durham Association Contest Feb 1st

Wonky_Baton

I do not know what all the hassle is about - the League rule has always been that the Adjudicator is not made general knowledge until the day of the contest. I sincerely believe that only the Chairman, Geo Bramfitt and the adjudicator of course are the only ones who are aware of this.

At the meeting on the 17th January, this matter was raised and was deferred for further discussin to the AGM which is to be held in September. If member Bands feel so strong about this then attend the meetings with a directive from your Band and then it can be considered as an item agenda at some earlier meeting.

At this point in time I feel that the officers of the Association need our help and support not criticism. I would therefore like to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the weekend and sincerely trust it is a very enjoyable day for all who attend.

I am with ray on this one. Contest is always well run and its easy to critisise without realising the unpaid time and sacrifice to run it. I haven't the time or inclination to give up so much of my own free time to help improve the contest. Its not perfect but nobody can express an opinion without putting the time in that this lot do for the benefit of everyone. Years and years of action as the present comittee have done is what is required to make your voice heard. They do it to the best of their ability and deserve praise for the job they do.

Doesn't matter in the judge is public knowledge or not. Sometimes if a certain judge is announced bands alter there performance to suit. keeping it secret to the day means that all bands are on a level playing field. Its a lottery in any case and as judges are impartial should make any differnce if band dont know who is ajudicating or if it a pre draw. Any system is open to fixing pre draw or not and swings and roundabouts if you win or lose. Contesting should be used to keep a band sharp and bands shouldn't take the result so serious. One mans opinion on variable musical parameters and depending if the band play an optimim performance. Hard work and ability is one thing but there is also an element of luck!!

neiltwist

Wonky_Baton said:
Contesting should be used to keep a band sharp and bands shouldn't take the result so serious. One mans opinion on variable musical parameters and depending if the band play an optimim performance. Hard work and ability is one thing but there is also an element of luck!!

there's also the money too!

i think the notes thing saying what the adjudicator is looking for is a very good idea, for example, i have seen judges pick apart performances note by note in their speech, but have also seen the same sort of performance praised because of the musicality shown, despite a few splits the occaisional messy entry.

sorry, back on topic, the league is a brill event!

come on easington!

BoozyBTrom

Good luck to everyone taking part. We're not there this time. But i will pop along to cheer on a couple of bands.

Especially

Horden ( with my old ER muckers in it )
Pride Valley
Easington
and Gateshead ( to cheer on my mate Gav whos just joined )

Good luck folks

BoozyBTrom said:
Good luck to everyone taking part. We're not there this time. But i will pop along to cheer on a couple of bands.

Especially

Horden ( with my old ER muckers in it )
Pride Valley
Easington
and Gateshead ( to cheer on my mate Gav whos just joined )

Good luck folks

Hi Gareth (quietest bass trombone player in the world :D ),

Thanks for that - see you there.

BoozyBTrom

bigcol said:
Aye to hear what a proper bass trombone sounds like :eek: :twisted:

But we're not going :p :p

Anyone else could be offended by that. Especially if they had never met you in person.

But Gav's a good lad and im sure he will do the band proud. Those lessons i gave him must have paid off for him :p :p

bigcol

BoozyBTrom said:
Anyone else could be offended by that.

Yes but I knew you wouldn't!

Gav is an asset to the band - he has a great sound and more to the point a wicked sense of humour.

So how come no ER at the contest? The fact that you are there means they haven't got owt else on.

BoozyBTrom

bigcol said:
Yes but I knew you wouldn't!

Exactly

bigcol said:
So how come no ER at the contest? The fact that you are there means They haven't got owt else on.

Its been a really busy begining to the year and last year was a nightmare too. So it was decided to sit this one out. Give the chops a bit of a rest.

But we are rehearsing on the night for a couple of big concerts coming up for the university. Heavy stuff! Like a second job at the moment

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.