Durham Association Contest Feb 1st

bigcol

Re: Durham Association Contest

Resurgam said:
Indeed on your own website a member of the Band recently stated that you should win the contest by a 3 miles so that is confidence surely.

Lol - that comment is a bit like a mum telling her son he's going to win sport's day!

Anyway - (courting trouble) at least we've got a website. :p

We know that on most days that Horden should win the contest - we just hope to give you a good run. It'd be boring for you to walk it - and there's others out there than us that will have a pop. Musicially less difficult pieces are known to be good levellers.

Resurgam

Hi bigcol,

I congratulate you on your website you have done a great job - indeed I tried to get you involved with the Leagues website at the last meeting as I knew you had the ability to sought out their problems.

I sincerely trust you have taken this onboard.

Ray Hutchinson

(probablyyou might have to give me a few lessons on how to pull down the qoutes etc as I am still in the learnig stage.)

p.s Your record as a conductor in the N.E Graham is very good and I am sure you will continue to be successful - we go back a lot of years from your time at ER.

missflugel

Its a local grading contest Rick so they have to be in that section regardless of national gradings. A bit like some of the Manchester ones we used to do

Jo x

Resurgam said:
(probablyyou might have to give me a few lessons on how to pull down the qoutes etc as I am still in the learnig stage.) .

HI Ray,
PM me if you want any help.

Resurgam said:
p.s Your record as a conductor in the N.E Graham is very good and I am sure you will continue to be successful - we go back a lot of years from your time at ER.

Thanks, Ray. I'll get the mutual back-slapping out of the way by saying (and meaning) that you are the best band manager I've come across.

jambo

The Durham league committee work really hard and I think that's an unfair comment. I take it that you will think they are marvellous if you win?

BTW I have nothing to do with the committee.[/quote]

No, sorry Graham its not about if we win or not, hopefully they will think we're marvellous anyway regardless of the result. I just do not and never have liked the idea of pre draws. If major contests such as the nationals etc can cope with the draw on the morning of the contest and still have the percussion etc sorted for each band, I can't see the problem for the durham league.

jambo said:
I just do not and never have liked the idea of pre draws. If major contests such as the nationals etc can cope with the draw on the morning of the contest and still have the percussion etc sorted for each band, I can't see the problem for the durham league.

Hi Jambo,
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I like pre-draws as they can really help sort out out any timing problems - shiftworkers etc. The Durham League is much more forward-thinking in that respect.

Now, if only they would announce the adjudicators in advance of the contest.

Lauradoll said:
GrahamCatherall said:
[.

I thought it was common knowledge. I'd better not say anything then!!!!

The Durham League have never announced the judges until the day of the contest. I have an inkling who they are but what use is that?

Lauradoll

GrahamCatherall said:
Lauradoll said:
GrahamCatherall said:
[.

I thought it was common knowledge. I'd better not say anything then!!!!

The Durham League have never announced the judges until the day of the contest. I have an inkling who they are but what use is that?

Inkling? Apparently only one person knows according to bigcol. I'm sure that's not true but where has your inkling come from? A conspiracy!!!!!

[quote="Lauradoll]

Apparently only one person knows according to bigcol. I'm sure that's not true[/quote]

It will be true - the judge is usually only known to one of the officials, usually the chairman.

[quote="Lauradoll]
but where has your inkling come from? A conspiracy!!!!![/quote]

I'm a medium in my spare time.

Resurgam

I do not know what all the hassle is about - the League rule has always been that the Adjudicator is not made general knowledge until the day of the contest. I sincerely believe that only the Chairman, Geo Bramfitt and the adjudicator of course are the only ones who are aware of this.

At the meeting on the 17th January, this matter was raised and was deferred for further discussin to the AGM which is to be held in September. If member Bands feel so strong about this then attend the meetings with a directive from your Band and then it can be considered as an item agenda at some earlier meeting.

At this point in time I feel that the officers of the Association need our help and support not criticism. I would therefore like to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the weekend and sincerely trust it is a very enjoyable day for all who attend.

Ray Hutchinson

bigcol

Aye it's going to be a good-un. We've had our first practice tonight with our pro and it was great!

There are 2 people who know - George Bramfitt and the printer of the programmes :lol:

Roll on Sunday!

jambo

bigcol said:
jambo said:
I'm not gonna hold out for a result though. A pre-draw 2 weeks before and contesting band members on the committee, call me a synic ..but...

It's spelt cynic, the contest has always been pre-drawn in recent years to make it easier for bands to prepare. There is only one person who knows who the adjudicator is, and he isn't affiliated with any band.

No point causing trouble - esp. when you are clear favourites to win anyway! Or are you getting your excuses in early :p

Thanks

Lauradoll

Re: Durham Association Contest

[quote="bigcol]

Lol - that comment is a bit like a mum telling her son he's going to win sport's day![/quote]

Sports day.

geordiecolin

Is this a Durham League Topic or an English grammar/spelling class??

Anyway, best of luck to all at the Durham League. Wish I was there with a North East band :( Oh well, only another year and a half at uni!!

I don't believe there are any spelling mistakes in this post.....

dave jake

Good luck to all the bands competing on Sunday. my bands not there but I hope to be,I ll be cheeriing on Gateshead if I get out the bar :D :D

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.