Dundee Predictions ?

skins

Dundee predictions

The Judge said:
Quite a few bands with a long journey ahead, eh? We've got 4 hours on a ferry and then about 6 hours on a coach. Wonder what we'll do to pass the time??

Don't worry Judge..........I've spoken to the coach driver and arranged the usual library stop once we get off the ferry!!!!

Aidan

kirmat said:
1.[/b] St. Dennis (southeners.. but I think theyre decent)

These "Southerners" are the current 4th section National Champions so they were "decent" enough to beat the best the North could offer last year!
I think you need to employ a slightly less patronising tone.
Ian Heard.

Meeeow :)
If you've been on here long enough you should realise that most things I say are tongue-in-cheek. You are (most probably) a southerner.. I am a northerner... its all purely factual. I will employ a slightly less patronising tone when you employ a sense of humour.. i didnt slur your band in any way by predicting you to win...!!

IanHeard

Hi Aidan,
Unfortunately with the written word it is difficult sometimes to pick up a tongue in cheek comment, I obviously do need to lighten up a bit, but I did not realise that I was in presence of such a "wag". :D
Ian Heard.
Soundhouse Brass.

P.S
In banding is being a "Northerner" or a "Southerner" an issue ?

Tromgod

I am a Scotsman playing in a Cornish band. Does that mean that I have crossed the huge cultural divide?
:D

yorkyboy

Only prediction I will make is that Old SIlkstone will wipe the floor in the 2nd section. They won pontins last year on Sunset Rhapsody ( i depped on the sop ) and they will be clear winners this year assuming theres no dodgy adjudication

The Judge

yorkyboy said:
Only prediction I will make is that Old SIlkstone will wipe the floor in the 2nd section. They won pontins last year on Sunset Rhapsody ( i depped on the sop ) and they will be clear winners this year assuming theres no dodgy adjudication

Very confident, probably with some justification after last year's Pontins. However, it only takes a good (or bad) day at the office for any band to cause an upset on the day. And does it make it a dodgy adjudication if a band who wasn't tipped before the contest wins? Don't forget, every band in the Nationals is the best their region has to offer, which isn't necessarily the case at Pontins. Good luck to all (especially us!!) :wink:

Heather

I agree 'The Judge'.
With the Finals they are all excellent Bands. They must be to have won through their Areas.
Its easy to comment on your local area Bands who have won through or bands you have helped out but there are always Bands from far away you have no experience of hearing.
Favourable comments about your Band are always great to hear..keep them coming...but alot can happen on the day and thats the beauty of the National Finals!

manx_yessir

I agree with the previous 2 posts from The Judge and Heather. The bands competing in the nationals have obviously got there through being the best in their regionals.
Good luck to all at Manx Concert by the way Judge! :wink:

yorkyboy

Ok maybe not wipe the floor. I dont play with silkstone but Im confident that they will win. They are a excellent outfit that should really be in the 1st Section. They will take a lot of confidence from the fact that they have already won a major contest on this piece already.

Judge ...

The Isle of Man - 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock ?

You've found a suitable replacement for me then?

I hear that rehearsals have been going well back on the IOM.

Best of luck to all anyway!!

jambo

dundee predictions

Zone one are doing well but as for far surpassing the rest of us with technique I disagree. Just because you're at music school doesn't make you a great player despite your aspirations. Perhaps the rest of us are just knackers or never has beens... :evil: we'll see. May the best band win, but as has been pointed out, this piece is about music not notes per second. Good luck to all

Darth_Tuba

Just as an aside, it's amazing how many people on the forum in general assume when saying "technique" this means how fast you can play stuff. I am guilty of mis-using the term myself! Good technique surely is the whole package, in terms of note production, keeping sound throughout the range, use of vib of the right speed at the right time etc. Sorry, slightly off topic, as it was bugger all to do with the finals.... never mind.

jambo

technique

Darth you're probably right. However in the context to which I was replying it would be pretty dismissive to assume that a bunch of students had better all round technique (to keep u happy) than the rest of us out there, just because we are no longer spending student loans. Don't ya think?

Darth_Tuba

I don't disagree with you at all. In fact I often get the other end of the stick were people assume that because im a student and play in a band I must be doing music! :? I wasn't getting at you at all, I was just making a point I observed about the use of the word "technique" :)

Tromgod

JEZ@LADSB said:
Tromgod said:
I am a Scotsman playing in a Cornish band. Does that mean that I have crossed the huge cultural divide?
:D

No you Scottish twit!

Hmmmmmmm........

Didn't think so. My greater Scottish intellect prevails as I thought, then :!:
:twisted:

skins

Dundee predictions

davidquinlan said:
Judge ...

The Isle of Man - 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock ?

You've found a suitable replacement for me then?

I hear that rehearsals have been going well back on the IOM.

Best of luck to all anyway!!

Not quite Dave, couldn't find anybody to drink as much Guiness as you!! ;-)