Dry Mouth Problem

Soppy

Starburst are great (the old Opel Fruits for people in the past! :D ) I ALWAYS have a packet with me before a contest/concert etc. If you eat a few before hand it's great, and in a Solo contest or something you can swallow just before you get up!!!

I did get desperate once and ate just before I stood up in a concert to do a solo. Problem was, the conductor tried to say something to me to answer, and I nearly choked!!! :D :oops:

David Robinson

This happened to me during a solo, bad stuff :(

An old Indian (Native American, for you politically correct ones) trick is to stick a pebble in your mouth. Why? Your brain thinks that it's food, and when you start to eat your have more saliva being produced.

Of course, pebbles don't taste too good (Well, not the ones I've had, anyway!) so putting anything in your mouth will get the salive flowing.

EIBB_Ray

not sure what a "polo" is, so parden any redundancy, our section trick is to use strong peppermints, seems to work for us. We're partial to Nieman Marcus mints.

HBB

A Polo

is a mint sweet, with a hole in the middle.

Dry mouth !

I must say this is something i've suffered a lot with, especially on stage.
A bottle of water has always sorted it out for me.
But one golden rule -- Never eat a bacon sandwich on contest morning. You'll live to regret it !!

TIMBONE

Unfortunately, the brains remarkable capacity to control things sometimes causes problems. Nervous anticipation and positive stress help the performer to be 'on top', they can also become negative, and the apparatus most important becomes affected, the pianist and violinist gets uncontollable shakes in the fingers, the percussionost seems to loose wrist control, the brass player gets a dry mouth.

My Dad was a professional MC who also sang and played the harmonica(properly!) - he always downed one shot of neat whiskey, (which he never normally drank), and swore by it - two important points though, ony ONE measure, and you should be 18!

I also know a pricipal cornet player who swears by Trebor Extra Strong Mints.

Humphrey

The composer Allan Street suggested sucking a fruit gum until it was wafer thin, sticking it to the roof of the mouth and keeping it there throughout the performance.
More practically, Bob Childs would tie a small water (?) soaked sponge to his instrument prior to a performance. Knowing it was there was usually enough to stop the mouth drying up but water was available in an emergency.
Apologies to Bob if I've just given away his secret. Works great though!!

drummerboy

Humphrey said:
More practically, Bob Childs would tie a small water (?) soaked sponge to his instrument prior to a performance. Knowing it was there was usually enough to stop the mouth drying up but water was available in an emergency.
Apologies to Bob if I've just given away his secret. Works great though!!

Well, can't speak for Bob, but his son David does it, and doesn't hide doing it on the Europeans DVD from 2003, so probably not a secret!

Seedhouse

Was about to post that to, David Childs highly recommends using a slightly soaked sponge that he attaches to the back of his Euph with an elastic band. He uses it all the time, and the European Champs DVD is evidence of this! :wink:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.