drum solos!

Naomi McFadyen

Seeing as we have a thread on Percussion Solos I thought I'd start the Drum Solos thread... (or pieces that have decent solos throughout the piece)
NOT Drummers Delight please ;-)

I like Goff Richards version of Strike up the Band. Great Kit stuff in that :D

Sing, sing, sing is good too- Bren does this a lot with Leyland- really brilliant!

drummerboy

Windows of the World is a good one for kit (well, more the first and last movements). Stuff like Light Walk is also good to play on kit (well i like playing it anyway!). The one i hate playing, though obviously will always have to, is the Floral Dance (ggrr, non stop high hats). Is it just me who hates playing it?!? :roll:

flashbarry

I have written a new piece called Barock! which features both the kit and timps. Should be available from Wright and Round shortly.

Naomi McFadyen

drummerboy said:
Windows of the World is a good one for kit (well, more the first and last movements). Stuff like Light Walk is also good to play on kit (well i like playing it anyway!). The one i hate playing, though obviously will always have to, is the Floral Dance (ggrr, non stop high hats). Is it just me who hates playing it?!? :roll:

oh yes! Windows of the World is great for percussion over-all with lots of features for various instruments... I've played the tuned/timp parts...
Pentium is also another good one by Peter Graham for perc...

I've played Light Walk; agree it's a good piece to play.

I hate Floral Dance as well and Lord of the Dance as well... it's just too cheesey for me! lol! :lol: I dont use hats all the time for it- I never read all drum parts as written as its only a guide- do some funky stuff on the ride cym! ;-)

Naomi McFadyen

flashbarry said:
I have written a new piece called Barock! which features both the kit and timps. Should be available from Wright and Round shortly.

ooooo goody goody goody!
Will be looking out for that... thanks! :D

tubatu

There's the Drum Solo at the end of Chorale and Rockout that goes down well, we recently performed this one with 2 players on 2 drumkits, lasted about 5 minutes!

Railybobs

Cry of The Celts

Peter Graham's arrangement of the Lord of the dance stuff is good for perc. as a whole. I played it whilst at Salford. i've heard the ISB play it and both times 5 or 6 percussionists were used.

But....................... The piece is extremely demanding and is maybe in the Champ classification.

jafe

oh yeah!! windows of the world is brill i played kit part for our band at our annual proms concert

gr8t drum cadenza in last movement

Roger Thorne

If you're after an interesting kit part take a listen to a new piece I've just released on my website

SPRITZ by David Sullivan

Click on links below to visit site.

:wink:

Naomi McFadyen

... not bad Roger! not bad at all...
Tell your friend David Sullivan I enjoyed listening to that a lot... find myself playing it through again! lol!

James McFadyen

One of my new releases, 'Threnody for 9/11' is a stonker for Drums!!!!

I bet u'd have some fun with it, Naruco. You have to be a rock drummer to play it right, otherwise it sounds crap - without mincing my words!

If any of u drummers think ur upto the challege, why not buy it and see!!!! :lol:

PeterBale

Staff member
Faireys featured "The Heat of the Day" at the Best of British Brass in Birmingham - I think they may be repeating it at RAH on Saturday - and that showcased their drummer very well.

Another one is Barrie Gott's "Daniel": that includes provision for a drum solo that can be extended to suit the abilities of the drummer - or the patience of the audience!

Regarding "Lightwalk", I've heard that done quite effectively with a vibraphone taking one or two solo choruses in the middle, although the accompaniment needs to be pared down to let the sound come through.

beard_4b

The SA piece Daniel is used as a drum solo feature by Johnny Whitmore the principal percussionist of the ISB and Regent Hall Band.

Straightmute

flashbarry said:

Top title! Is there going to be sequel called Rock-cocoa ???

D