Does Yoga help you play better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bell_end

Can you help? I have recently started Yoga lessons and have found that in terms of stamina, tone and concentration it's all better.
Overall playing has improved.
Could it just be a coincidence - or does it really help?
Kinda Interesting eh?

One thing makes you play better ----- Practice!!!!

Although Yoga will probably do wonders for your breathing.

I think you also maybe suffering from the "new toy" pshycological factor, you know, like when you buy a new mouthpeice, you instantly play better!

If you want my advice, stick to constructive practice!

Having said that, Yoga would probably get me out of the house another night of the week, so hey, why not!!!

Keep it up, and let us know the long term effect!

Although I havn't tried Yoga myself, I feel certain that it would help playing. Especially with regard to correct breathing and control generally.

Yoga is often mentioned in the "Method Books".

monkey

I am appalled that anyone could contemplate such a thing. Brass banding is for real men who understand the value of 100 years of tradition like woodbines, proper pints and keeping females in their place. It is people like you that will ruin banding for all of us who understand true values.

In my band players would be sacked for even hinting at wearing a raincoat never mind these namby pamby southern shandy drinking ideas like Yoga - I think you belong in a wind band Mr Bell_end.

monkey

When I wrote my previous comments I feel that I may have been too hard
Anyone who wants to try new things are entitiled to do so. But is it
:? :? :? :?
necessary to foister such silly opinions on other people?
Knowing a lot of people in banding I know that new ideas are tried but
:arrow: :arrow:
every time it seems that people want to throw out what is old without
:shock: :D :) :( :eek:
really thinking it through.
Sorry to have gone on for so long but where are the traditionalists?

monkey

shedophone said:
Hmmm. Beer versus yoga. Now that is interesting. Wonder if we could mix the two....

I am sure they can but better without the yoga. Unless you can have a long straw and suck while on your head.

The only contemplating I want to do is about playing good honest sounds and not sitting crossed legged with fingers crossed while uttering low but audible sounds - we have a Eflat bass who does that all thro rehearsal but we put that down to age and lack of muscle control

GJG

There is evidently a sub-discipline of yoga which is referred to as "Hatha" yoga; I am not an expert, but apparently Hatha is particularly concerned with breathing. Allegedly, Maynard Ferguson's breathing techniques are based on it.

'Nuff said.

G.

Maestro

Don't know about playing, but when I was at University, my conducting teacher made us do Tai- chi (?), for 1/2 an hour everytime before she would let is start conducting.

Seedhouse

I'm sure Yoga will probably help, especially with breathing.
Also on Steven Mead's website (www.euphonium.net) he has a breathing device called an "Ultrabreathe," which I have been using for a few months now and has significantly helped me with my breathing. I'd recommend people go on his site even just to take a look at it, and i'd be interested if there were other tMPers that used it?

Edited for a stupid mis-type

lynchie

Haven't been to see it but it sounds slightly worrying! Is breathing in and out normally not good enough for people these days?

Seedhouse

Brass playing improves our respiratory systems, and apparently helps asthma sufferers (i'm not one, so don't hold me to that you'll have to ask them).
Also having an efficient respiratory system enables us to significantly be able to be better at our instruments, if we aren't breathing efficiently, or even sufficiently, then we obviously won't be able to do as well.

I don't know how to insert an image of the Ultrabreathe but this is the web link for information on it.

http://www.euphonium.net/ultrabreathe.html

Seedhouse

Hmm, maybe this'll work...
UBenlarged.jpg

For those that are interested, Steven Mead writes:

" I've been using the Ultrabreathe for over two years now and have noticed a large improvement in the quantity and quality of air I'm able to use. I was a little scepticle of breathing devices in the past and did buy a few which now collect dust on a shelf somewhere, but the ultrabreathe is quite superb. I think it was developed initially for the medical professional to help people with air 'disorders', asthma etc and has been used by young and old alike and in more recent times by athletes in training and in the last couple of years , by brass and wind musicians. To date I have never met anyone who used it and did not feel an almost immediate benefit from it. I use it early morning for about 3 minutes, then a minute or so before I play, and sometimes in the interval in the middle of a concert. It keeps my air supply in the highest condition...it actually reduces stress levels and makes you feel better. Sometimes while driving too, although having the ultrabreathe in the mouth can cause a few glances when you have to stop the car...oh well!! It is a resistance inhaler with varying levels of resistance so you can start gently and build up. I try to inhale my full lung capacity in about 3 seconds then exhale , depending the exhalation setting in about 2 seconds. If the exhalation setting is set at maximum resistance you can try to exhale for up to 6 or 8 seconds. Repeat the process about 20 times and thats it, you're done, ready to play...until you feel you need it again. Use it every day and you'll notice a positive improvement with your playing within a week. Don't just take my word for it...try it".

He is not endorsed or supported in anyway by the company before someone says anything, and i'm only posting this here as from my personal experience it helps significantly with my breathing and will only take around 4 mins of your time during the day at most.

Seedhouse

Woohoo it did! :D :roll:
Hope that the information i've provided helps people, and it's certainly a purchase that I highly recommend.

monkey said:
Knowing a lot of people in banding I know that new ideas are tried but
:arrow: :arrow:
every time it seems that people want to throw out what is old without
:shock: :D :) :( :eek:
really thinking it through.
Sorry to have gone on for so long but where are the traditionalists?

Next thing you know they'll have women and children in brass bands!

bell_end

To be honest I'm a bit scared by that picture
:shock:
Oh God! I thought, it's a weapon.!
:?
Seems we may be going off the thread a little?
Seedhouse, there's more to yoga than just breathing.......it's good for the sole and temprament.
:wink:
Everyone I spoke to says it aids concentration and makes you more calm.
:)
Really works too, honestly.
Should I try some martial arts??

Seedhouse

I posted details of the Ultrabreathe on the grounds that it aids breathing as much as yoga does. If not more effectively- I don't know. Which is on topic. And also Lynchie responded to me mentioning it so that's why I posted details on it.
I don't know if you are being serious, or just having a laugh on tMP but the suggestion of whether you should do martial arts, I find, is ridiculous. Unless you want to complete pound another player

lynchie

looks a bit odd... think i'll just stick with my practice mute! Anyway, I imagine they cost money, and they probably wouldn't accept leaves as a substitute for cash...

PeterBale

Staff member
I don't think that including other breathing aids in this discussion is necessarily going off-topic, as it is a natural progression from other matters that have been raised.

Having said that, I would agree that there are other aspects of yoga that may be of assistance, and I'm rather surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the question of posture. So many players face problems becssue they sit slumped in their chairs, and I am sure that the discipline of yoga could assist in developing better posture etc in such cases.

bell_end

The discipline of martial arts is relivant.
We always assume it to be used for aggressive purposes.
Actually it's a way of channeling your natural energy and focusses it.
Tai Che (or however you spell it) is very powerful.
Surley we should be more open minded regarding these disciplines.

Status
Not open for further replies.