Do you all have a full Bass Section ?

iancwilx

As a spin off from my related thread, I get the impression that many bands do not have 4 "Permanent" Bass players.
Is it just Bass players, or are there empty chairs in all sections in many bandrooms, that are only filled by deps or occasional players for Concerts/ Contests.
Just curious - but your responses may reveal an underlying problem that we should be aware of.

We had a big shift around on the bass section at Jackfield to make sure we had a "full" bass section attending every rehearsal. Some players work and so find it hard to commit-but we very rarely have the full 4 bass section there! people try their best though! :D

flugelgal

I think we have 6 too... which is useful since some work offshore and some work shifts so we usually have mostly a full section there... what a sound when 5 are there at once (last week's rehearsal i think)

Okiedokie of Oz

Is there such a thing as a full bass section???? :wink:

Due to a shortage of bass players, we only have 2. I have a former bassplayer switching back to help fill it up, but noone likes playing an instrument for the team down here. They all want to have the melody!!

Any bass players interested in moving to a small coastal community in Queesnland where it never gets colder than 8 degrees, and we average an annual temp of 22????

johnmartin

Okiedokie of Oz said:
IAny bass players interested in moving to a small coastal community in Queesnland where it never gets colder than 8 degrees, and we average an annual temp of 22????

Where do I sign.........

We have five in our band (3 Eb & 2 Bb) and some of them even know all the fingering :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Drury
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

johnmartin

Do we have a full bass section.....usually after a night down the pub.

Seriously though, yes we do. Again shift working means that we can't all get to every rehearsal but we all make efforts to get there prior to contests etc.

Straightmute

Yes, we have five regulars. 2 Eb and 3 BBb with a reserve waiting in the wings! All five present and correct last night.

D

2nd man down

Staff member
We have 2 Eb's that are there wind, rain or shine, but our Bb's are a bit less regular (attendance wise that is!!). One of them has work commitments that mean he can't do all rehearsals and the other is our london marathon running local vicar (So sunday jobs are a complete no-no for him generally.)

PeterBale

Staff member
We currently have 4 basses (3 EEb & 1 BBb), although one of the EEbs has just come back ouit of retirement and can't do any marching etc.

We are going to need to do a switch round next year, as our current BBb player (the corps officer) retires in February and is moving away. Another (very good) BBb player has decided he needs to step down from the band as he doesn't feel he can give the commitment required in terms of time etc.

Okiedokie of Oz

PeterBale said:
Another (very good) BBb player has decided he needs to step down from the band as he doesn't feel he can give the commitment required in terms of time etc.

That is always such a shame. If only there was a way to make sure everyone was happy.