Do march composers REALLY hate us?

Jack E

A couple of little gems, from march cards, which make me seriously wonder; was Hubert Bath suffering from piles, lumbago and gout when he wrote the 2nd baritone part (yes - 2nd baritone!) for 'Out of the Blue'?

And did L. Bancroft assume that all 2nd baritone players would take a look at this little gem of a bar, shrug, and say "D'you want me to throw in a trill whilst I'm at it?", when he dreamed up this one, in 'By the Left'? (I don't even want to think about what he wrote for the Solo Cornet . . . o_O )

You cannot be SERIOUS!!.jpg

Once I've cracked these two, I shall await (with quiet confidence) the call from Dr Childs - and refer him to my accountant and business manager . . . and I will not come cheap . . . :cool:

Jack

justonecornet

I have a pet hatred of march cards! When we're playing a march seated, I call it 'lyre-o-vision': that awkward ache you get from straining to read the tiny print on an old march card from the 1930s while also trying to look at the MD at the same time. Thankfully, I'm able to enlarge pieces where necessary ...

Jack E

I have a pet hatred of march cards! When we're playing a march seated, I call it 'lyre-o-vision': that awkward ache you get from straining to read the tiny print on an old march card from the 1930s while also trying to look at the MD at the same time. Thankfully, I'm able to enlarge pieces where necessary ...
That's my ruthless approach, too! ;) In fact, some of mine have ended up as two sheets of A4!

But, in all seriousness; my eyesight has never been that good, it's worsened over time, and I'm in the early stages of cataracts in both eyes, so I'm damned if I'm going to put any unnecessary extra workload on them - especially when a well-known publisher sells brand new march cards which look like photocopies of photocopies of photocopies, and all of them done on a rubbish photocopier . . . :rolleyes:

With best regards,
Jack

2nd tenor

When people see a part labelled 2nd they typically think that it will be easy or at least easier than the part labelled 1st - having lost my ambition and being lazy I prefer to play the 2nd to the 1st part. Whilst I wouldn’t dispute that there is some logic in that rule of thumb it certainly does have its exceptions. The 2nd Baritone part isn’t one that I’d enjoy ‘cause it can be awkward and all over the place.

With regard to naff copies a mate in the band has some software to scan and tidy them up. Unfortunately I’ve no idea what it’s called but maybe someone else might be able to say.

Product tMP members are discussing