Did you start playing on a recorder?

Did you begin your musical life on the recorder at primary school?

• Total voters

Vickitorious

I started playing it when i was about 6 and I eventually mastered how to play 3 blind mice!!!! yay! but then it accidently got snapped during a tantrum :cry: :eek: I was only 7 though, and of course, I don't throw tantrums or strops at all now!! :wink:

Di

Vickitorious said:
I started playing it when i was about 6 and I eventually mastered how to play 3 blind mice!!!! yay! but then it accidently got snapped during a tantrum :cry: :eek: I was only 7 though, and of course, I don't throw tantrums or strops at all now!! :wink:

Yea right!!!! :shock: :roll:

Believe that an' you'll be as gullible as she is! :D

I started on recorder in primary school, then progressed to the treble
which was OK, but my Mum got really upset when they decided to send me home with a violin! :D

drummergurl

i think i started with either recorder or singing or piano, they all started around the same time, quit the recorder within about 2 years, got to summat like grade 1 with it!!! still sing, and play piano, but i always had a shine for the drums, apparently every christmas id ask for one of those lickle drum kits you get in the argos catalogue, until 1 year i think i was about 6 i said to my mum well im not gonna put it on this year coz santa never brings it. and alas about 3 years l8r a pearl forum series drum kit arrived for christmas.

dave jake

I started on recorder and me and me brother used to sword fight with them so I joined school band and came home with an Eb Bass. So an Eb Bass IS good for something, winning a fight with a recorder oh and taking the rap for any mistakes in the bass section. :cry:

Straightmute

I started on recorder at junior school but was thrown out of the group for 'busking' the four rising quavers in the middle of God Save the Queen. MISS UNSWORTH, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN.

Oddly enough, at infant school - age 5/6? - we were taught to beat time using standard conducting patterns. Seems strange now - I don't think that any of us knew what we were doing - but one of my fellow pupils from that little class also grew up to become a very active band conductor.

D

brasscrest

Started cornet before getting the the recorder stage.

We didn't even have real recorders, we had something called a "Flutophone" with about an octave and a third range. (There are recorder groups in the US, but our schools apparently didn't know enough to find out about them.)

I once attended an SA music camp where one of the instructors was an elementary school music teacher. He brought a whole case of them and we played as a band. Because all of them were in the same range, (there are no bass Flutophones :? ), it sounded like the worst barbershop quartet music in history.

Owen

I began on the descant before moving to the tenor because I had big hands!

I found my old recorders a few months ago and decided to have a tootle. Unfortunately I had forgotten the relative amounts of air you need to get a sound out of a recorder compared to a brass instrument and the first note was about 4 octaves higher than it should have been! After that I felt like I was playing on half a lung!

I was thrown out of recorders when I was at school as I was caught playing marbles (honest!!) with a girl in the cupboard. I was already on a warning for being caught swapping my football stickers the week before.

Panini football stickers now there's a memory.

My earliest musical moments were 'playing' the piano. I was bought a recorder by my parents just before I went into the reception class--I think that my parents where prepared... :?

Started playing cornet when i was about 10 as i had given up the recorder (ive tried that a number of times..but always end up going back) played cornet ever since and recorder on and off since I was about 4!! :lol: :lol: Occassionally play the piano too which I started when I was about 12.

Never interested by a violin (or any strings) :lol: :lol:

I've just moved back onto recorder :oops: and will (hopefully) be joining the uni's early music ensemble next year playing tenor or bass

But, yes i began my musician's life as a recorder player and have gradually moved down to B-flat Bass.

Where to now?

Tuba Miriam

Thankfully, I've never played a recorder and at primary school found listening to others do so a prejudice forming experience.

I think it has to do with the high-pitched 'wailing' noises that treble/descant players seemed to enjoy making - it hurt. Plus, having to listen to 'Londons Burning' every time the recorder group played, especially where it gets to the 'Fire, Fire' bit; this was clearly just an excuse for more high-pitched 'wailing'.

Jo Elson

Curiosity_Kills said:
I've just moved back onto recorder :oops: and will (hopefully) be joining the uni's early music ensemble next year playing tenor or bass

But, yes i began my musician's life as a recorder player and have gradually moved down to B-flat Bass.

Where to now?
The only way is up i guess! :wink:

Crazysop

nope cornet first, then trumpet. then as a favour I was roped into a music centre early music group playing bass recorder and bass crumhorn and great bass racket. I still cant read bass cleff, how the hell i busked my way through for weeks on end i'll never know!!! good job sop parts are in treble clef!

ian perks

Started on Recorder but then moved to cornet, but i soon become mixed up with the recorder fingering and was using the brass fingering for some of the notes.

In the end it was " GOODBYE RECORDER"
I am glad i did that as i won a national championship 3 years later,with a area win and a better SOCIAL LIFE making many friends in this GREAT BANDING MOVEMENT we have.:-D
Been playing 32 years next month.:-D
Most of them on
BARITONE!!!!!!:-D
A BRILLIANT INSTRUMENT:-D

Laserbeam bass

I once got confused with Michaela Petri, until the member of the audience opened her eyes and saw a 6"3" rather hefty Tuba like player, and not a waif of a German lass
scratchhead.gif

Thirteen Ball

Straightmute said:
I started on recorder at junior school but was thrown out of the group for 'busking' the four rising quavers in the middle of God Save the Queen. MISS UNSWORTH, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN.

I got told off for playing the high harmony at the end of each verse of 'Abide with me.' (Real cheerful music teacher, funeral hymns over lunch! We Played 'Nearer my god to thee' as well. Mrs Nash, I still haven't forgiven you! :ranting2: )

Started on recorder, got sick of it, tried Piano, Rock Guitar, :metal: Cello :shock: Then started dating a cornet player. Next thing you know I'm holding an Eb Bass wondering how I got there!

A Confusion that still persists somewhat to this day...

euphfanhan

I started my musical life playing piano at 5, but was still forced to play recorder at primary school. It was one of the most horrific experiences of my life. I may be forced to sue. memories of my first school concert in year 2, we were in rows, with the shorter people on benches and the taller ones in front. The girl behind me who was scared stiff as her family were watching, happened to BE SICK DOWN HER RECORDER. having studied many recorders, (looking at them, not playing!) i have no idea how she managed it:dunno it was coming out of the holes and everything...:-( ...

Product tMP members are discussing