Desperate help with Sibelius!!!!!

James McFadyen

Anybody know wher I can get the User Guide for Sibelius 2?

Or is the user guide the help file in the sibelius folder????

Need to know advanced stuff about typesetting Avant Garde scores!!!!

James McFadyen

Oh yes of course I forgot.........................I bought it! :wink:

does anyone, even u roger, know where I can download it, can't get it from the Sibelius site at all.

James McFadyen

It's ok, just found out u can't download it at all, u have to get them to send a replacement. If anybody wants to email me it or put it on a web server for me, I would be most greatful ;)

Roger Thorne

Click on the blue question mark on the toolbar and this should take you into the Acrobat Reader version of the handbook.

:wink:

Roger Thorne

James McFadyen said:
If anybody wants to email me it or put it on a web server for me, I would be most greatful ;)
Can I refer you to our copyright fact sheet facility. Books are subject to copyright laws as well as music. Or if you would like to ask a specific question I'll try and help you as much as I can.

:wink:

MoominDave

Given some of the sympathy we've been asked to give recently to producers of music who are being deprived of income by illegal copying, it's perhaps worth noting that computer programmers are in the same boat...

Not that I'm condoning Sibelius' rip-off pricing structure that reeks of corporate greed, but...

Dave

James McFadyen

I find it crazy how u cannot get the user guide off the Sibelius website! Most other software I have u can get the User Guide easily legally.

I clicked the Blue Question mark but it came up with that 169-page guide that only briefly touches on most of the aspects and usually says see User Guide for more information.

I'll locate it! I'm sure! but thanks anyway! :lol:

super_sop

Supporting Member
tut tut tut, are you saying you also have "other software". and i thought you were paying thousands for all this stuff!!

James McFadyen

:) not for composing brass band/orchestral works - for typesetting.

Although Sibelius 3 seems to have solved the main gripe I have with composing directly on siblelius - called Focus on Staves!!! If I get Sibelius 3, I might change my view completely, and start composing all my music directly on the computer.

JessopSmythe

James McFadyen said:
I might change my view completely, and start composing all my music directly on the computer.

:?

James McFadyen said:
How many people here use Sibelius for the ACTUAL COMPOSITION PROCESS?

Now, the reason I say this, is because way too many people have said to me they no longer work with manuscript and pencil, but instead use Sibelius - Instantly, my brain cells (or the ones I have left at least) start to go crazy.

It really amazes me at how gullable people can be about Sibelius. Sibelius is a notaional package, and yes, while there are many cool things you can accomplish compositionally with sibelius, it really cannot do the job the same as the brain can by looking at a blank sheet of manuscript!

There is a major problem here - the reviews (along with the advanved features of Sibelius) advise that Sibelius can be a great compositional tool, people read the reviews, play with the features and walla, they call themelves composers (or arrangers)

Sibelius is a machine, the problem is it's just to perfect, low tubas can play fast awkward semiquavers that would sound muddy in real life, but the 'virtual' composer is oblivous because of the sound that's comeing from the soundcard, which, let's face it, sounds *beep*.

When your COMPOSING ON SIBELIUS, you'll find you need to 'add more stuff' to make it sound full - opps, no, no - take it to your Band and you'll soon see how very little playing can sound full! - Good quality sound comes from the brain, not the soundcard or sibelius.

Also accent, dynamics and general humanity is lost, the ear hears and is driven by what Sibelius plays back, and what it plays back is wrong.

Contrary to popular (and misguided) belief, Sibelius is rubbish and playing back scores!!!!!!! For anyone who regards themselves a professional, I'm sure you'll agree with me. With the advent of Sibelius 3, some aspects of crapy playback can be tweeked (ie altering the volume for individual notes - a much needed facility of you ask me!)

My advice is this: Forget about Sibelius - don't use the gimmicks, get manuscript paper and use Sibelius what it does best - MUSIC NOTATION. If you want to hear it back properly (ie outwith Sibelius) either take it to your Band (or local band) and have them play it or export it as MIDI File, import it into Cubase and mess about and tweek it for the best performance (without altering any of the notes, etc)

Now, no doubt you fling back at me the ADVANTAGES of composing on Sibelius - which, as a competent Sibelius user, I know practically all of them, and they don't hold enough ground in my book.

But anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to see who is using Sibelius to compose music instead of doing some hard work for a change!

Given your previous position on Sibelius, that would be a turn around worthy of a New Labour politician.

James McFadyen

There is no need to digging up the past, I know what I said.

For me, at this moment, unhappy to compose a full Brass Band score directly on the computer.

I have composed directly on the computer for a string orchestra.

The sibelius thread was written before Sibelius 3 came out, and becasue of this new facility on Sibelius 3, it enable unused portions of the score to be hidden and zoom in on active staves. It's too much faffing around on a 17" monitor with a full brass band score - you need to be able to see the whole score VERY clearly, hearing it is simply not enough, IMHO.

Until I buy Sibelius 3 and try out the new feature, I shall stick to manuscript and paper for the most part - there is simply is no other way for me at the moment. I don't know how a composer can work without seeing the whole score clearly all the time throughout the entire process. Like I said, I do write String Orchestra and other ensemble that take up very few staves, since all the music can be seen clearly at all times at a reasonable zoom level.

Anyhow, Let's not go digging up old dirt, now. ;)

Other disagree, other agree, the point it, I suppose do whatever is right for you and what gives the best results (NOT just sound-wise) but from a learning perspective.

jameshowell

I agree james, Sibelius 3 does make huge improvements in general on all older releases, and the Zoom function is making life much easier!

Another handy feature is the Kontakt Player and the create .wav file function. Great for submitting those compositions to teachers and examiners!

And midi playback has improved as well, though still doesn't compare to getting live playback by real people. But as computer playback goes, it's getting there slowly...

And as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, for us student Sibelius is just a little heftily priced...

James McFadyen

I have just investigated the Kontakt/Siblelius soundset, and although a very reasonable sound is produced (a few sample ever come from the Peter. S series) but the whole soundset still sounds too sampled for my liking.

However thery are good for mock-up's, but that's baout it really, strings are good, but still sound sampled, mainly due to the fact that it's a Violin patch and u can switch to different samples every note - but hey Like I said in another thread, if these sound were equal to the sample libraries I have Sibelius would be very expensive - so for the price I give it a big thumbs up for value for money! No contest whatsoever. :wink:

I'll stick to my sample libraries, much much much better quality - just means I'll have to spend hours and hours doing it!