DESFORD 1987 - 1992

nickjones

I've just been listening to recordings of Desford at the National Finals some which stick out as fantastic competition performances are.
1987 Harmony music..brilliant interpretation band sounds fantastic .
1988 Seascapes...rarely heard now but what a band sound
1991 Energy..I think the piece is great , and a massive test for bands , I prefer the 1990 recorded version on Hyperion but the live performance is pretty special..
even the 1992 "New Jerusalem" is very good and on any other year might have won the nationals...
I would add the 1989 Odin but unfortunatly I dont have a recording.

I think Desford from this era in Banding ( including the 1986 European win ) are one of the best bands ever.

Sorry NickJ but Desford didn't compete
in 1992.
Already won 3 so they gave the poor tired
souls a rest that year!!!
Bless! :oops:
S.

Humphrey

JOCKBLAST! said:
in 1992.
S.
Oops!!! Desfords year out of banding was 1990. The hat-trick was achieved in 89 (Odin). They came back in 91 to win a fourth title on Energy. :)

Humphrey said:
JOCKBLAST! said:
in 1992.
S.
Oops!!! Desfords year out of banding was 1990. The hat-trick was achieved in 89 (Odin). They came back in 91 to win a fourth title on Energy. :)
Sorry Humphery I stand corrected!
Too much Wray & Nephews!!!! :oops:
HELP!!!! :guiness :shock:

ersop

After winning in 1987, 1988 & 1989 (barred in 1990) and then again in 1991 as already reported, Desford missed a 5th win by 1 point in 1992 when they were placed 2nd on New Jerusalem. The following year they gave a rip roaring performance of Devil and the Deep Blue Sea which found no favour with the judges and resulted in a dissapointing 21st (and last) place some 34 points behind the winners Williams Fairey.

craigyboy1

ersop said:
The following year they gave a rip roaring performance of Devil and the Deep Blue Sea which found no favour with the judges and resulted in a dissapointing 21st (and last) place some 34 points behind the winners Williams Fairey.
:shock:

I heard Desford on "Devil" that day and I still can't believe they were last!!
If I remember correctly there had been conflict with the powers that be earlier in the year at the Europeans and the rumour mill had this result down as their payback :?:

I still rate Desford's win on Harmony Music as the best contest I ever heard. The hall was near full and the atmosphere intense. Desford were drawn third from last played brilliantly and were followed immediately by Dyke who gave a top class performance.
For me the adjudicators got it right (Desford 1st; Dyke 2nd) it would have been interesting though if Desford had been handed an early draw.

Blagger

Going back to Harmony Music - I too feel that this is one of the best live performances ever. A college mate of mine was on second Euph at the time ( Dave Evans - Conducts now). Steven Mead had played the high solo in the bandroom without a blemish during the lead up to the contest.
Then on stage he seemed to have to reach for it ( the high E ).
I think it adds to the feeling of excitement - I've got a Dyke recording from a few years later and although Morgan Griffiths plays it with ease it just doesn't do it for me :)

johnflugel

Does anyone have any CD recordings of the above performances? They were a great band and I would love to hear more of them.

nickjones

I have a copy of 1987 National Finals on Cassette and LP , I dont think there was a CD version produced ( it is I think a double LP or is that 1986... I cant remeber but they both are with the gala concerts)
1988 on Cassette
1989 - no copy
1991 Cassette - am sure there was a cd version produced.

As per previous posts , I try and get all my information correct before I put my posts..dont pluck figures out of the air...who wants to look silly on a post..never mind.
I listened to a few of the 1992 performances at the RAH..and have to say Desford were very good , and maybe should have had another National Championchip..

I stand corrected & humbled Nick.
Was a bit tipsy when I replied to your
original Query.
I know that there were CDs available from
all the years Desford won at the RAH.(pretty sure.)
I'd contact Desford band & I'm sure the will
help you.
S.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Talking about the best ever live performance... I saw Grimey in the Barbican the year they didn't qualilfy for the finals - they played the piece for that year - Harmony Music - and it was simply fantastic.

I also believe that Philip S. was in the audience that evening and also agrees that this rendition was exellent.

TIMBONE

As a latecomer to the world of brass bands, it was an album by Desford from the period of time mentioned that led my steps in this direction.

Seedhouse

I'm interested in getting hold of any of the Desford recordings from when Steve Mead was playing with them.
I have Variations, as Peter Bale kindly passed on a copy of the tape that he no longer needed (thankyou very much Peter!)
Can anyone help me find a list of recordings, know of where to get them, or if anyone could send me any copies (will be willing to pay if wished)?
Pleeeeeeeeeeease!
Feel free to contact by PM.
Cheers,
Alex

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
The Harmony Music finals were the first ones I ever went to. I was just a young whippersnapper at the time, but the performance still sticks in my mind - I had heard quite a few bands before ('cos I liked the piece!) but Desford's performance seemed to bring out parts of the music that I didn't hear from any other band. I was completely blown away by it. We were back again the year after for "Seascapes" and again, Desford seemed to have that extra 1% over everyone else. I know points are irrelevant but the fact the judges awarded them 197 / 200 says something of the quality of their playing - simply stunning.

stewie76

why did i miss this thread??!!

Hi,
Maybe i can resurrectic this by saying I have a few of desfords recordings from that time if anyone is interested...
And hello to s.s........brill sop player even if he is a jock!!!!