"Deps" - and payment?

iancwilx

What about introducing a fixed fee for deps throughout the UK..eg,BBbass players get £80 a job,EE basses £60, troms £40,euphs baris £30 horns £20,cornets £10 and drummers £5...this would be a fair price taking into account the size of the instrument and how important it is .

Brilliant !
I've been an EEb Bass player for 50 years, but for an extra few quid - bring on that BBb beast !!!

- Mr Wilx

Thirteen Ball

Generally if I do charge anything it's only to cover some of my petrol, or if it's a local gig, enough to get a curry from Mr Hassan's on the way home.

If truth be told, I've only rarely been paid for helping bands out, mainly because I rarely take any money when offered. I've often found that this attitude encourages people to reciprocate in a 'job for a job' kind of way.

Mostly it's for a person rather than a band too. There's a few folk I know where both of us have completely lost track of who owes who depping favours - so there's an unspoken bond that we never charge whichever band the other one is playing for.

Of course, the other one is always asked if they want any expenses - it'd be pretty bad form not to.

P_S_Price

I must be stupid then - If I help out a band I dont even take petrol money!

(Mind you I only help out locally)!

BottyBurp

[...]I m quite happy to help bands out for nothing but if the dep next to me is being paid 50 quid I m afraid that I m having the same.
Why?

I don't care if the bloke sat next to me is picking up a dep fee - it doesn't influence whether I have any or not.

I truthfully cannot remember the last time I accepted a dep fee...

Bryan_sop

What about introducing a fixed fee for deps throughout the UK..eg,BBbass players get £80 a job,EE basses £60, troms £40,euphs baris £30 horns £20,cornets £10 and drummers £5...this would be a fair price taking into account the size of the instrument and how important it is .

£5 for drummers?? You are Joking aren't you?!

Drummers/percussionists, are generally those that charge the most! If they're any good, there's such a wide scope of things they can do, they can justify the fee (supposedly)

Bryan_sop

Brass bands are probably the peak of amateur music making in the UK. Even the lowest 4th section band is better than a medium rate amateur orchestra.

I disagree completely! I've played with some absolutely awful local orchestras, as well as equally awful brass bands. at the end of the day your average amateur orchestra is willing, to let someone like myself (as I did last week) turn up and play, and demand a (somewhat meagre) fee on the night without rehearsal.

You have to consider, that there are people around that have invested in a musical education. I didn't spend 3 years at university studying music to play for free (although I mostly do with brass bands!)

Generally if I do charge anything it's only to cover some of my petrol, or if it's a local gig, enough to get a curry from Mr Hassan's on the way home.

If truth be told, I've only rarely been paid for helping bands out, mainly because I rarely take any money when offered. I've often found that this attitude encourages people to reciprocate in a 'job for a job' kind of way.

Mostly it's for a person rather than a band too. There's a few folk I know where both of us have completely lost track of who owes who depping favours - so there's an unspoken bond that we never charge whichever band the other one is playing for.

Of course, the other one is always asked if they want any expenses - it'd be pretty bad form not to.
I agree,I have always done the same as you......but it s nice to be asked and thanked for your services...if im not I never play for that band again....what s wrong with that .If a band is daft enough to pay 50 quid a dep that s up to them,but we all know what happens to them in the end.

Last edited:

Di B

A band should approach and ask if you want expenses. If they don't, I am left feeling angry and unappreciated.

I charge petrol money only. If they want me to attend a rehearsal prior to a job petrol also needs to cover travel to that rehearsal. Parking expenses if incurred also need to be covered. A beer is also nice too!

I can't afford not to do this and I won't be struggling financially for a month just because I helped a band out.
I help bands out wherever as long as they cover my petrol. Problem is, if it is a local job for the band but you are travelling 50 miles each way they sometimes think £5 will cover your fee. It won't.

Most bands I help out regularly have no issue with my fees - most local ones are £5 or £10. When I have depped for contests the fee has hit three figures just, but the mileage involved was very high. With a two week commitment I also added an extra £20 for wear and tear on the car too.

Of course, the other thing is about who the band is.
One band I would only dep for if they offered a five figure sum to put up with them.
Then there are some bands where it is lovely helping out, seeing old friends and catching up. Sometimes for these I charge a lot less than petrol money :-D

Depping fees

You have to consider, that there are people around that have invested in a musical education. I didn't spend 3 years at university studying music to play for free (although I mostly do with brass bands!)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you but I have encountered this issue over the years and have a very simple solution-when a band/orchestra/etc phone to ask me to help out get the details and give them a figure that I am prepared to play for, taking into consideration my personal circumstances-then it is up to them whether or not they want to go ahead and book me-simple! I dont charge extortionate amounts but feel that if I am out of the house (for up to over 12 hours on some occasions) away from my wife and family that I should be able to charge not only for my time but for my musical talent also-the band get a fee for the job and if they dont want to pay dep fees thay should do the concert with the players they have got-a good example is a friend of mine conducting a fourth section band regularly drafts in 4 or 5 top section players purely to make himself look better to the audience-when he rang and asked me I said I was free but would need £25 to cover expenses which was a 100 mile round trip and I didn't feel that was unreasonable, when he said he couldnt pay any expenses my wife said if that was the case he should take the band out as a fourth section band and not try to present the band as something it wasnt.....just my viewpoint x

You have to consider, that there are people around that have invested in a musical education. I didn't spend 3 years at university studying music to play for free (although I mostly do with brass bands!)

I agree with you but I have encountered this issue over the years and have a very simple solution-when a band/orchestra/etc phone to ask me to help out get the details and give them a figure that I am prepared to play for, taking into consideration my personal circumstances-then it is up to them whether or not they want to go ahead and book me-simple! I dont charge extortionate amounts but feel that if I am out of the house (for up to over 12 hours on some occasions) away from my wife and family that I should be able to charge not only for my time but for my musical talent also-the band get a fee for the job and if they dont want to pay dep fees thay should do the concert with the players they have got-a good example is a friend of mine conducting a fourth section band regularly drafts in 4 or 5 top section players purely to make himself look better to the audience-when he rang and asked me I said I was free but would need £25 to cover expenses which was a 100 mile round trip and I didn't feel that was unreasonable, when he said he couldnt pay any expenses my wife said if that was the case he should take the band out as a fourth section band and not try to present the band as something it wasnt.....just my viewpoint x[/quote]
I agree...some very good points here.

brassneck

My belief is that a dep should not be out of pocket unless that person chooses to be so. Expenses should be, as a rule, covered for fuel/travel, accomodation and possibly meals (if need be). If that person is at risk of losing income as a result of the hire, further compensation should be offered. That does not mean that a music student/graduate automatically fits that criteria if he/she is not earning as a teacher/performer in the evening/late hours.

iancwilx

I recall about a zillion years ago depping for a band at the Yorkshire Miners Dem. (Ackton Hall and Snydale Colliery Band if my memory serves me correctly.)
I was depping on bass and a mate of mine, Irvine Vaines from Carlton Main was depping on cornet.
Irvine says to me " What shall we charge 'em Wilkie" - we decided on £4 apiece as they were a 4th Section struggling band.
Come the end of the march, up comes the "Paymaster" and asks how much I want. "£4" says I and was duly paid. "What abart thee Irvine" says he ? "£7 should cover it chief" said Irvine with that famous winning smile and a cheeky wink in my direction.
What a fella !!
Trouble was, you just couldn't help liking the guy - star man !!

- Mr Wilx

paddo

still be £4 then wont it wilki!
i think from reading most of the comments on this thread all are in some way about right. i generaly do not charge, helping EYMS out on wednesday night and will not be charging, my mate John Belton had just done the same for us, got picked up, we all had drinks and my wife picked us back up and dropped him off.

But! some of the bigger bands, expect you to drop everything at the drop of a hat, travelling quite a way of, and I have been known to charge quite a bit. But like someone said, if the guy at the side of me is getting 50-60-70 or whatever, im on BBb i want if warented the same.

some just charge for the sake of it, and at the moment some of the students are the worst....

astreet83

Get this....

A signed member of our band, who plays at contests when required (bass), was asked to help at two summer concerts due to players being on hols. The first concert he was given a lift and the second was probably 10 minute drive yet he still charged £20 per concert!!!

Still in a bit of shock to say the least. A signed member of the band taking money from the band, unfortunately I wasn't able to thank this player for their help as I always do for our deps.

To continue...

At the second concert we needed two trombones (2nd and bass) and we got in a couple who didn't charge and said that they enjoyed playing with the band and were very complementary of the band quality and wished us luck at the finals. Just goes to show that there are the players out there which are willing to help and enjoy themselves for no fee.

I never charge when helping bands out. I see it as a perfect chance to have a practise; 1 - with a different band and 2 - with a different stick wagger.

TheFopp

Get this....

A signed member of our band, who plays at contests when required (bass), was asked to help at two summer concerts due to players being on hols. The first concert he was given a lift and the second was probably 10 minute drive yet he still charged £20 per concert!!!

If the only reason he is signed to the band is to help out at concerts then you can't really say he is a member of the band in the truest sense.

I've 'signed' for bands to help them out at a contest or two. Doesn't mean I'm a regular member of the band though.

astreet83

Sorry I disagree "TheFopp". If your a signed member of a band be it concert or contest player you do not charge for the honour of playing in your own band. Unless of cause you are playing within the top 4/6 bands in the country.

"Doesn't mean I'm a regular member of the band though" - does that mean you would charge? Since the band supplies the player with a excellent instrument, music, uniform, provides a conductor of excellent standard and oh yeah pays for there player registration (I know its not alot) is it fair to charge your own band?

towse1972

Sorry I disagree "TheFopp". If your a signed member of a band be it concert or contest player you do not charge for the honour of playing in your own band. Unless of cause you are playing within the top 4/6 bands in the country.
Well, there will be a lot of bands at the area etc with empty seats if people work on this premise. I have signed with bands to help them out at major contests. I travel there and back for 2 week solid rehearsal. Dont i deserve recompense?

Paddo mentioned students over charging. This really infuriates me. Kids who get a lift there and back asking for £40 for a job! Percussionists are the worst for it. In the past I have been known to ask percussion students from the Northern if they have forgotten to wear their mask and swag bag!