Degeneration of banding today

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobgoblin

Im not aware of the full circumstances... so, I take no sides. If the original poster would like the details of an independant media contact already investigating the way our banding instituition operates, please get in touch.The contact will deal only with fact.
I assume they have had to make it clear to you on at least one occasion that they will only deal in fact? Be clear, any serious media contact would only take interest in banding if there is a story like the Grimethorpe / Brassed off thing (which I happen to think did us not much good) or if there is muck to be raked. Please tell me you are not trying to bring a wider audience to all that David Ike style tin-foil hat stuff you were on about last year? Even if you believe all the banding conspiracy nuts, the only thing to find would be cronyism and dodgy adjudication. To the wider world we would just look like plumbs, and it wont change help anything.When you involve an "independent media contact" it may very well be a case of be careful what you wish for I'm afraid.

Cath Ata

I assume they have had to make it clear to you on at least one occasion that they will only deal in fact? Be clear, any serious media contact would only take interest in banding if there is a story like the Grimethorpe / Brassed off thing (which I happen to think did us not much good) or if there is muck to be raked. Please tell me you are not trying to bring a wider audience to all that David Ike style tin-foil hat stuff you were on about last year? Even if you believe all the banding conspiracy nuts, the only thing to find would be cronyism and dodgy adjudication. To the wider world we would just look like plumbs, and it wont change help anything.When you involve an "independent media contact" it may very well be a case of be careful what you wish for I'm afraid.

I have to agree with this. Dr Nicks "I'm the Alex Ferguson of brass bands" will be a resounding faux par for years to come. Thai sort of exposure only ever leads to mockery, in some cases as above lead by those who should know better.

Leyfy

I post this under a pseudonym purely because I don't wish to drag my band's name into discussions of this nature (which ALWAYS happens however much we might protest that comments under our own name have nothing to do withthe band we play for). This forum is unique in that names automatically have an association with a band.

Except that, like me, you don't have to say which band you belong to. A lot of the more provocative posters I have encountered on this forum over the past 5 years have chosen not to reveal which band they belong to. Banding is such a small community and with events like Butlins that are on the national scale you are more and more likely to come across someone you have had an online 'disagreement' with on this forum than others! I belong and regularly post on tMP, a forum for adult brace wearers from across the world, the TES forum and theDibb (a forum for Brits who like Florida... a lot! Saves me winding up Essex Elvis with constant talk about our upcoming holiday!!). Out of the four, I have never knowingly encountered anyone 'in real life' from any other forum other than tMP.

Which is again why I can understand why the OP has not given any extra details, but then that kind of negates the point of the post in the first place?!

(However, I will point out there is nothing sinister in me not revealing my band. I recently left City of Cambridge because of the rising fuel costs, and I'm not currently signed anywhere at the mo.)

Last edited:

katej

My main 'complaint' if you will was the attitude of the committee inside the band room to not allow entry to a new player wishing to join the band despite them having the authority to do so if they had wished, I asked that they be admitted and was told 'no they are not a member' on the other side of the coin the constitution states that an open policy is in place, the general public or anyone else for that matter can attend a rehearsal with no notification having to be given. I do realise that these posts can seem to be inflammatory - those that have posted saying they know the band and how great it is or could be will also then be aware that the principle cornet player and secretary of the band resigned as they did not agree with the actions being taken by certain members of the committee. Nothing is ever black and white - my rant was to do with the non-admittance of a player who had travelled 23 miles to join a band only to be turned away at the door as she was not a member - to me that isn't and will never be acceptable.

As for why I chose to leave my last band -I originally when moving to the area I now reside in looked at the bands website, despite being the nearest band to me they were non-contesting so I joined a competing band. When I found out they were contesting and needed players as 4/5 had left I jumped at the chance to join as I have already stated I thought I was joining a forward thinking, progressive band. My previous band prior to that I left due to personal commitments and travelling costs.

IanHeard

...my rant was to do with the non-admittance of a player who had travelled 23 miles to join a band only to be turned away at the door as she was not a member - to me that isn't and will never be acceptable.

In normal circumstances yes, but it would seem (in the absence of any facts!) that your committee seem to be reacting to circumstances that are`nt normal. Perhaps the committee feel backed into a corner and are acting accordingly.

drummercat

The lost art of cummincation?

In a day and age where communication is just a click on the computer or a touch of a button. Whether it be in the form of a phone call, a text message, or even a message on a social media website, you would think that people would have contacted members and let them know that they will not be permitted to attend. Is it really an impossible task?

I had intended to become a member of this brass band for the friendship, the common love of music and also the laughs and banter that the team had shown so often. I may have only been to 2 rehearsals but from what I had witnessed, I knew it was what I wanted to continue with. Travelling from one end of the county to the other in order to attend, happy at the self knowledge that I was ready to sign the paperwork and pay dues ready to learn and master more skills within the percussion section, then on arrival being told my name wasnt on a list by 3 security men who werent exactly polite about it either, was a kick in the gut.

It seems to me that the only way you can attend this band at present is if you are one side of the fence. I have witnessed a bond between friends shatteered in one night because of something I do not understand nor wish to be involved in . My concern is that as a potential new member ... why was I not allowed in? and will this happen to other members?

I will no longer be attending this brass band because of the way that myself and other offical members were treated, by the actions of an executive committee decision and a committee. I thought, and please correct me if I am wrong .. Brass Banding was a cause to unite .. not to argue, fight and become as petty as I have witnessesd lately.

As many have said here ... " a sad day for banding" .... it is indeed.:(

hobgoblin

Answered your own question to some extent here. It sounds like the art of "cummincation" has indeed been lost if "In a day and age where communication is just a click on the computer or a touch of a button" if you can't sort things out with those involved rather than playing the hard done by card on here. Don't be such a Wendy about things. Dry your eyes and get in touch with the members of the band that have not gone fully mental and see if you can get on the guest list. It sounds like you had a great time last lime you played there, and it would be a shame to miss out. Whatever has gone on is probably so sad and petty that it no one could put it in writing on here as they would realise how silly it all sounds as they type. Remember the Wales 2011 area fiasco which was supposed to have implications for the whole movement - and then just turned out to be a load of rubbish? - this is probably just the same. Get to band and start knocking some sheds up on those drums!

Trombell

My main 'complaint' if you will was the attitude of the committee inside the band room to not allow entry to a new player wishing to join the band despite them having the authority to do so if they had wished, I asked that they be admitted and was told 'no they are not a member' on the other side of the coin the constitution states that an open policy is in place, the general public or anyone else for that matter can attend a rehearsal with no notification having to be given. I do realise that these posts can seem to be inflammatory - those that have posted saying they know the band and how great it is or could be will also then be aware that the principle cornet player and secretary of the band resigned as they did not agree with the actions being taken by certain members of the committee. Nothing is ever black and white - my rant was to do with the non-admittance of a player who had travelled 23 miles to join a band only to be turned away at the door as she was not a member - to me that isn't and will never be acceptable.

As for why I chose to leave my last band -I originally when moving to the area I now reside in looked at the bands website, despite being the nearest band to me they were non-contesting so I joined a competing band. When I found out they were contesting and needed players as 4/5 had left I jumped at the chance to join as I have already stated I thought I was joining a forward thinking, progressive band. My previous band prior to that I left due to personal commitments and travelling costs.

I am confused in your profile it says who your previous bands are and both are competing bands??? Who is the non-competing band!

katej

I am confused in your profile it says who your previous bands are and both are competing bands??? Who is the non-competing band!

The band I am now with wasn't a competing band when i first looked at them, however they decided to start competing, hence why I moved as they were also nearer to me!

Laserbeam bass

So is anyone going to say what the real problem is, or is this thread going to "degenerate" like the title and the Welsh area 2011 thread?

Trombell

In a day and age where communication is just a click on the computer or a touch of a button. Whether it be in the form of a phone call, a text message, or even a message on a social media website, you would think that people would have contacted members and let them know that they will not be permitted to attend. Is it really an impossible task?

I had intended to become a member of this brass band for the friendship, the common love of music and also the laughs and banter that the team had shown so often. I may have only been to 2 rehearsals but from what I had witnessed, I knew it was what I wanted to continue with. Travelling from one end of the county to the other in order to attend, happy at the self knowledge that I was ready to sign the paperwork and pay dues ready to learn and master more skills within the percussion section, then on arrival being told my name wasnt on a list by 3 security men who werent exactly polite about it either, was a kick in the gut.

It seems to me that the only way you can attend this band at present is if you are one side of the fence. I have witnessed a bond between friends shatteered in one night because of something I do not understand nor wish to be involved in . My concern is that as a potential new member ... why was I not allowed in? and will this happen to other members?

I will no longer be attending this brass band because of the way that myself and other offical members were treated, by the actions of an executive committee decision and a committee. I thought, and please correct me if I am wrong .. Brass Banding was a cause to unite .. not to argue, fight and become as petty as I have witnessesd lately.

As many have said here ... " a sad day for banding" .... it is indeed.:(

From what I can see members were allowed in but not the non-members. There must have been a good reason for this, people don't normally get security unless they need to/usually threats of some nature. You need to look for your answers before writing the band off completely.

AndrewL

Sounds like you need to talk to the committee about their reasons. I'm not sure this thread is going to ahieve anything except cause confusion and maybe bad feeling- both of which are not good for banding.

Thirteen Ball

So is anyone going to say what the real problem is, or is this thread going to "degenerate" like the title and the Welsh area 2011 thread?

Clearly Laserbeam, someone has an axe to grind and thinks they are drumming up support by posting in vagueries and general terms - when in reality they've just created a thread full of confusion and shadowy name-calling that does no-one any favours.

There's clearly been a bust-up of some sort and a band has split into two camps - but I haven't a clue what the issue of debate is because the OP and subsequent posters (who are clearly in the know) haven't seen fit to post anything to indicate what the cause of the separation is. Lots of low post-count IDS (probably created for the purpose) replying in general terms, sniping at people who'll know who they are but can't reply without putting themselves in the firing lin, hinting at things they 'know' about but the rest of us don't... We've seen it before and it doesn't get any less pathetic.

If you're using TMp to post a genuine grievance or raise awareness of a situation you think is unfair or unjust, then have the good grace to start from a point of honesty, state who you are and pin your colours to the mast for all to see.

Until that happens, this thread is pointless, and I hope the mods lock it.

youngman

Having spoken to a member of this band i feel compelled to write. It is discracefull to have "heavies" at the door to keep band members away from rehearsals. Obviously due to legal reasons, members arent able to comment on the facts but surely no band is in a position to lose players in such large quantities. Constitutions are there to protect band members as well as committee members but ultimately they are there to safeguard the band. Clearly this has not been adheared to by the powers that be. By the amount of money being spent by the band on solicitors and security guards, there are people who feel they have something to hide. I hope you hang your heads in shame when you read this thread.

Kofi

Andi Cook has hit the nail on the head, well worth locking thread as we'll be reading (or ignoring) page upon page of waffle for the rest of the year!

tubafran

Having spoken to a member of this band i feel compelled to write. It is discracefull to have "heavies" at the door to keep band members away from rehearsals. Obviously due to legal reasons, members arent able to comment on the facts but surely no band is in a position to lose players in such large quantities. Constitutions are there to protect band members as well as committee members but ultimately they are there to safeguard the band. Clearly this has not been adheared to by the powers that be. By the amount of money being spent by the band on solicitors and security guards, there are people who feel they have something to hide. I hope you hang your heads in shame when you read this thread.

Got to say that without all the information any comments may have to be qualified, but taking what has been said in good faith, surely any attempts to prevent members/non-members/carers/prospective members with the use of "doormen" seems excessive.

Were these members of the band or people that were paid to prevent access?

The band is a registered charity and to quote from their website "we are a friendly brass band" and "we welcome all players of brass instruments" also according to their aims as detailed on the Charity Commission site

"Charitable activities

• Arts/Culture/Heritage/Science
  • Children/Young People
  • Elderly/Old People
  • The General Public/Mankind"

Not much charity being displayed based on what has been said.

youngman

Not much charity being displayed based on what has been said.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure once the charities commission are notified of the activities of this organisation things will quickly be dealt with.

I hope this thread doesnt become locked as we need to look after players in our movement.
All too many times band politics takes over and we lose much needed players forever.

Yet again I find myself wondering if you are so upset why not just walk away?

Maybe the rest of us should turn this into an amusing guessing game as to what went on that made the committee feel it necessary to put three heavies on the door.

Maybe they had received threats that the Mafia were hiring voodoo practitioners to magic toads and frogs to pour from the Eb Basses onto the Horn players heads? (worries me every time I go to rehersal)

Status
Not open for further replies.