Degeneration of banding today

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wherryman

Im not aware of the full circumstances... so, I take no sides.
If the original poster would like the details of an independant media contact already investigating the way our banding instituition operates, please get in touch.
The contact will deal only with fact.

Unfortunatly , on TMP, I expect the discussion will be brushed under the carpet.
(we don't like to see our movement criticised)
The 'independent media contact' will only deal with 'fact', but the tMP contributors are expected to discuss a situation then form and express opinions on suggestions, innuendo and partial disclosure. Hmmmm...but there are general principles involved that might be discussed. The mods have seen fit to let the thread run, despite two suggestions that it be locked, so I don't think there is any question of debate being stifled .

I don't expect the full 'facts' to be disclosed on here. I would think it's a rather complex situation, hardly suited for resolution by 'trial by forum'.

I'm interested to know more about this investigation into the way banding operates, though. Is this a secret investigation, or can anyone join in? When are the results likely to be published and where? I'm sure that tMPers would be only too happy to help, if it means an improved 'institution'. Who is this investigator?

its_jon

Rather than see this thread split on a tangent,
I welcome the continued discussion about the topic in question.

DRW

...For the chairman (or the MD) to have total control and to decide on his/her own on any management matter would be totally wrong.

I'm not sure I made my previous point clear. Of course the matter should be discussed and voted for by committee, but in the event of a non-verdict it is always damaging to defer the decision to an EGM. The chairman (usually) should use his / her casting vote and not wimp out. This is the very reason that issues like this don't often appear in successful businesses; there is an effective and firm decision-maker in place. Simples!

Sonorous

This thread is a complete farce. One person throwing around accusations of an example 'degeneration of the banding today!' without actually giving any hint of what's actually gone on! (ie simply trying to stir up a hornet's nest). Another person going on about some independent investigation they're involved with without giving any idea whatsoever what the hell they're babbling on about!

There are many issues with the focus of brass bands, music, contesting etc that deserve constructive and intelligent conversation. However the only evidence I see of degeneration of banding in this thread are the two examples shown above. Grow up, and stop treating it like some war. It's music. Get a grip.

katej

I'm not sure I made my previous point clear. Of course the matter should be discussed and voted for by committee, but in the event of a non-verdict it is always damaging to defer the decision to an EGM. The chairman (usually) should use his / her casting vote and not wimp out. This is the very reason that issues like this don't often appear in successful businesses; there is an effective and firm decision-maker in place. Simples!

And what if per chance the chair is the reason that a band is split? Is it acceptable for them to then have the casting vote?? I don't kinow anymore, I swore when I came back into banding that I wouldn't quit again - but feel that maybe I should. For those who stated that they pity people I may come into contact with in the banding world if they cannot play to my expectations I would like to just say that I encouraged my partner to take up the instrument again after a 20 yr gap, my eldest 2 both play, my 14yr old is interested in becoming shed builder and lessons have been arranged for him from next term through school, the 14 yr old I give a lift to band to I offered her the opportunity to see how brass banding is after meeting her at the marching band that my 9yr old attends - they play trumpet but want to join the brass band fraternity as well. Don't presume to know what sort of person I am. Oh and the shed builder that came along for practice and was turned away on friday night after attending previously, she had only played in marching bands before and doesn't know how to read music but we were working on that :)

cornyandy

In normal circumstances on any committee I have served on the Chair's casting vote has to be used for the Status Quo so it almost becomes a non issue......

cornyandy

I am begining to feel sorry for the other memebrs of the Stone Town Band who are having their laundry, Clean, Dirty or a bit mucky aired on a public forum. It may be time for the Moderators to have a look at this thread before something Libelous is "said" which may land TMP with bad press

Sonorous

And what if per chance the chair is the reason that a band is split? Is it acceptable for them to then have the casting vote?? I don't kinow anymore, I swore when I came back into banding that I wouldn't quit again - but feel that maybe I should. For those who stated that they pity people I may come into contact with in the banding world if they cannot play to my expectations I would like to just say that I encouraged my partner to take up the instrument again after a 20 yr gap, my eldest 2 both play, my 14yr old is interested in becoming shed builder and lessons have been arranged for him from next term through school, the 14 yr old I give a lift to band to I offered her the opportunity to see how brass banding is after meeting her at the marching band that my 9yr old attends - they play trumpet but want to join the brass band fraternity as well. Don't presume to know what sort of person I am. Oh and the shed builder that came along for practice and was turned away on friday night after attending previously, she had only played in marching bands before and doesn't know how to read music but we were working on that :)

Yes Kate, we get that you believe you're the angel of brass bands. But are you actually going to answer the crux point of this entire thread? What happened to cause this? Without you doing that, this whole thing is a complete flap in the dark, and totally pointless. And just serves as your own little rant that you're wonderful and.. well.. 'how dare they!!'...

Answer that point?

Hello?.. Answer that point?...

jockinafrock

Unfortunately we are still not being told what the root of the problem is - Katej, you are not going to enlighten us any more, but instead now are blaming the chair - when they weren't even mentioned previously :confused:. I am glad that Stone band has not risen to responding to yours, and other, posts in a similar vein. One would argue that by remaining quiet the band is not itself being upfront, but I would think that they are letting people hang themselves with self-righteous indignations, and are themselves maintaining a dignified stance in all this. :clap: For goodness sake, with threats of legal action, investigations, etc it suggests that there has been some behaviour that is tantamount to gross misconduct were it a workplace. Maybe we would be shocked if the truth were out..?

jockinafrock

Yes Kate, we get that you believe you're the angel of brass bands. But are you actually going to answer the crux point of this entire thread? What happened to cause this? Without you doing that, this whole thing is a complete flap in the dark, and totally pointless. And just serves as your own little rant that you're wonderful and.. well.. 'how dare they!!'...

Answer that point?

Hello?.. Answer that point?...

:lol::lol:

Sonorous

I am begining to feel sorry for the other memebrs of the Stone Town Band who are having their laundry, Clean, Dirty or a bit mucky aired on a public forum. It may be time for the Moderators to have a look at this thread before something Libelous is "said" which may land TMP with bad press

Spot on Andy. Kate really needs to have a little look at her own motivation for this. It certainly doesn't appear to be the actions of someone with a band's best interest at heart. If she had any sense, she'd ask the mods to delete this thread. (Then again, if she had any sense, she'd never have started it in the first place!) Although actually, there's really only one person looking bad out of her waffle, and that's her. I feel very sorry for Stone Band that they are having to put with such a disruptive character.

Ianroberts

I would suggest its time to put your hat and coat on !!!

jockinafrock

I am actually surprised that she still appears to be a member (did you get a satisfactory answer to your thread about what constitutes a member Kate?) - many bands would see such postings as bringing the band into disrepute, being disruptive and undermining. Bands don't need to keep this kind of person in their team; it's like a cancer that spreads and should be dealt with swiftly. I shan't bite my tongue - irrespective of other things that must have gone on to lead to all this I would sack her!!!! If you can't stand the heat Kate - get out of the kitchen! :mad:

Trombell

I am actually surprised that she still appears to be a member (did you get a satisfactory answer to your thread about what constitutes a member Kate?) - many bands would see such postings as bringing the band into disrepute, being disruptive and undermining. Bands don't need to keep this kind of person in their team; it's like a cancer that spreads and should be dealt with swiftly. I shan't bite my tongue - irrespective of other things that must have gone on to lead to all this I would sack her!!!! If you can't stand the heat Kate - get out of the kitchen! :mad:

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

cornyandy

I think what is bothering people on here is that the cancer could spread from one band to another. No not Kate's moving to another band. In several walks of life at the moment I know of people who are not happy unless there is a soap opera type plot. I only hope that this is not begining to infect banding

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.