Degeneration of banding today

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobgoblin

I have tried to discuss this with the committee of the band. I have been stonewalled and advised to put any comments in writing to a solicitor. I left my previous band to join this one and felt that I was joining what you describe, a friendly progressive band with a bright future ahead, I even brought along my partner and 2 other players such was my conviction that this band would be great for us to be with. Sadly however the committee have chosen to exclude a player who is undergoing treatment with combat stress for PTSD, stating that he had chosen to resign and yes he did say he would leave after a meeting following an altercation with the chairman. However this player then stated to others that he would stay and play as he had calmed down and realised there was no need for him to leave. Not once did a committee member say to him well you've resigned so when are you leaving. Not once did the committee ask him to stay and play for the areas and then leave. His card is still held at the BBBR as a registered player..Not only have the committee now chosen to hire heavies and exclude a member from band practice last night stating he is not a 'full' member but merely a contesting member, they then despite being asked refused to allow a new player who had attended twice previously with the intention of joining entry into the building as she was not a 'member'! Isn't that enough for now?? Since when have bands needed to stop potential new players/general public from entering a bandroom? I could understand them not allowing the player they had the altercation with in, however there was never any intention of him attending, he had been advised to stay away as it was not worth the hassle.
This all sounds like it has the same inherent fools arguing with idiots comedy potential as the welsh area 2011 thread. You are all being very petty and it will in all likelihood destroy your band. I hope this will make you happy as you sit at home safe in the knowledge that you are "right". On a more cheerful note, the solicitor involved will no doubt be laughing all the way to the bank. It sounds like all involved would benefit from having their heads banged together although they may find the ensuing hollow knocking sound a trifle disconcerting. I particularly like the whole turning away disabled player and carer thing - perhaps saying they were stealing sweets from babies or robbing old ladies would elicit a more emotive response?

jennyt125

Your names not down, you're not coming in :)
All joking aside there seems to be alot of this these days with band players/committee etc falling out then suing each other, very sad.

katej

This all sounds like it has the same inherent fools arguing with idiots comedy potential as the welsh area 2011 thread. You are all being very petty and it will in all likelihood destroy your band. I hope this will make you happy as you sit at home safe in the knowledge that you are "right". On a more cheerful note, the solicitor involved will no doubt be laughing all the way to the bank. It sounds like all involved would benefit from having their heads banged together although they may find the ensuing hollow knocking sound a trifle disconcerting. I particularly like the whole turning away disabled player and carer thing - perhaps saying they were stealing sweets from babies or robbing old ladies would elicit a more emotive response?

Had I taken my 9yr old and 6yr old with me would they too have been refused entry on the grounds that they are not 'members'??. There has to be an open door policy as it is a charity, there were no grounds for refusing entry to anybody last night.

hobgoblin

Had I taken my 9yr old and 6yr old with me would they too have been refused entry on the grounds that they are not 'members'??. There has to be an open door policy as it is a charity, there were no grounds for refusing entry to anybody last night.
This is terrible, and the whole refusing entry to children who were not there thing is beyond acceptable. You have my deepest sympathy as I have as a ginger frequently suffered discrimination of this type. It is my sincere wish that this matter can be resolved amicably, and no more imaginary / hypothetical members of your band are refused entry to rehearsals.

Bob Sherunkle

Look, Katej

I'm going to try to be kind (imagine a sort of Simon Cowell voice)

This is not really "degeneration of banding today" at all is it? (whatever that means).

This is a local , probably petty, dispute that has seemingly got completely out of hand.

Please don't drip feed us with any more, you will only make it worse for yourself.

I would suggest that you leave them to it and everyone will probably be happier.

Uncle Bob

kennywenny

As an MD and a player I find this all very sad indeed ...we at Dobcross have worked hard over the past number of months building the band back up to full strength to which we now have a young (with a mixture of experience) ambitious happy band ... As many other bands you need the help of deps ect . The thought of turning players away for what ever reason is very sad. We often have players from other bands come for a blow and during discussions I welcome there input . Security on the door, now that's a new one ...I hope it all gets sorted as by the sounds of it, it may cause lasting problems for the band if its isn't ...ps I am about to read all of the thread again as it is a little confusing for a sop player in place :)

P_S_Price

...If you and other players are not happy, you are blessed with having a multitude of bands in the North West and Midlands area that would snap your hands off at the offer of joining...

Worded a lot better than my post but essentially the same sentiment.

Picky, political and Cliquey bands will soon find themselves struggling for players. why go and be unhappy in what is essentially a hobby for most?

For me secular banding is supposed to be enjoyable.

Sonorous

I'm afraid this smacks of fools on all sides. Kate, you have decided to express your outrage on a public forum without wishing to go into specific details. The little you have said implies that there has been some sort of confrontation - potentially physical, and maybe even violent.

I don't know who is right or wrong, however your decision to take your rant public without giving full disclosure colours my judgement that you are perhaps part of the problem.

I would suggest that you listen to what many people have said here. Grow up, and if it's that bad, get out.

simonium

I fear coming on this website asking for opinions on a delicate situation has led to the inevitable - nameless keyboard warriors declaiming events, posts, you, your band etc etc, followed by the usual offers from bands short of players. Good luck! You will not get sensible or reasoned advice on here, when there are moral points to be scored, or cheap laughs to be gained.

You don't have to stay in said band. If you are unhappy and nothing can be done to improve the situation walk away and go find another band. I'm sure there are plenty of bands around you that will welcome you with open arms.

kronk

Katej - this thread, and the other which you initiated with regards to what constitutes membership of a band, strikes of ill feeling and discontent. And yes I am aware of what is happening within your band.... Maybe you would like to enlighten readers as to the reasoning behind your posting? Let them have the information about why there is such discontent rather than cherry picking which info to divulge; then they can give you their opinions. Readers cannot, though, give you definative answers as they are not party to information such as what your individual constitution does, or does not (which is equally as important), say.

These posts are similar to several that we hear when 'name' bands are involved, where players/conductors are leaving bands/conspiracy theories and the usual trolls contribute. (Which I am not saying you are doing or have been involved with). You need to be upfront with your committee (who appear to be having to take the appropriate stance considering the actions of individuals within the band)
and discuss this in a professional manner, rather than canvassing opinions.

After previously working with your band for quite some time, and seeing how a wonderful outfit such as this has continued to progress and thrive in spite of the barriers that many bands face, it saddens me that the band, which is very highly regarded within it's town and with local dignitories, is facing such difficulties.

If you and other players are not happy, you are blessed with having a multitude of bands in the North West and Midlands area that would snap your hands off at the offer of joining. Do not let your discontent affect other players, or the running of the band, and make the decision to join another band that fits your ethos.
Having read the thread, this post seems to be the voice of reason.

Katej, your previous posts and this thread-starter seem to drip with anger and bad feeling. Why are you so angry? You disclose detail from "the other side of the argument" only when other common-sense banding people, similar to that of jockinafrock, enquire. So why put it out on here in the first place? Smacks of someone so angry that they have lost objectivity? You say you left a band to join your current one. I wonder why you left? What exactly are you doing by airing this?

I know of bands who've had far worse problems than arguing over who's allowed in and who isn't.... They sort it out by talking, not by writing aggressive, inflammatory, destructive posts on a public forum.

As someone who knows a little from afar of your band I would echo that said by others - which is why not just leave?? I'm sure other readers feel the same. The band is the important thing. And if you have minors attending rehearsals then they need an example setting. They are the future.

Your committee, I'm sure, do not have a record of anything other than a group who want to produce a well rehearsed, well turned out, professional as possible outfit that endeavours to retain the respect of the local community.

It looks like a decent community band from your website, and is no doubt respected by that community. You appear to have done well in the recent regionals. What is your anger for? Your malcontent appears over the top, unwanted and unnecessary. The title of your post is a disgrace by the way. Any "returning adult player" who can't quite hold a baritone the right way, twelve year-old struggling to get the intonation on a euph or middle ranker who cant quite hold that top c on her cornet - i hope they dont have the misfortune to cross your path!

Degeneration of banding....? I think you need an injection of reality. Judging by your website you have an embarrassment of RICHES compared to others. There are bands in Manchester - not a million miles from you - who I know would give their right arm for three third cornets and three second cornets. What are you playing at? At a time when kids are more interested in Facebook and x-box than something worthwhile, you are setting the worst example possible.

You have what looks like a great band that should be on the crest of a wave after the regionals, either join it, or don't. But don't destroy what could be the lifeblood of others.

its_jon

Im not aware of the full circumstances... so, I take no sides.
If the original poster would like the details of an independant media contact already investigating the way our banding instituition operates, please get in touch.
The contact will deal only with fact.

jockinafrock

Im not aware of the full circumstances... so, I take no sides.
If the original poster would like the details of an independant media contact already investigating the way our banding instituition operates, please get in touch.
The contact will deal only with fact.

Do you not think posting such a suggestion as this will only encourage the perpetuation of this situation - oh dear.. :-?

Sonorous

I fear coming on this website asking for opinions on a delicate situation has led to the inevitable - nameless keyboard warriors declaiming events, posts, you, your band etc etc, followed by the usual offers from bands short of players. Good luck! You will not get sensible or reasoned advice on here, when there are moral points to be scored, or cheap laughs to be gained.

I'm afraid you've missed the entire point with this comment.

What is the reason for someone to bring an aggreivance to a public forum such as this? The constructive answer would be to get some advice on a situation... However if you wish to do this you need to be prepared to completely disclose all details of the situation in a completely honest, open and as unbiaised way as possible so you can get some sort of informed and constructive response.

This post is absolutely not that, and is just someone having a rant. What people are trying to get across to Kate here is that she is doing herself no favours by simply ranting off. And often situations like this arise for the very reason that someone is very vocal, like to rants off and lead 'revolutions'. They are also often the sort of people who can't comprehend that they might be wrong.

We are not in a situation with the details to know if this is the case, however what Kate needed to do was either give an informed, qualified, and detailed summary of what happened. Or, if she's unable to do that, leave well alone.

All that she's done is give the impression that she's potentially part of the problem and not, as she may wish to believe, Erin Brockovich.

I post this under a pseudonym purely because I don't wish to drag my band's name into discussions of this nature (which ALWAYS happens however much we might protest that comments under our own name have nothing to do withthe band we play for). This forum is unique in that names automatically have an association with a band.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.