Dedication!!! - What would you miss for banding???

Ste69

Ok then, here's a question! What would you give up / miss for the sake of your band?

I only ask because next Friday 7th May, the missus and I are (finally) moving house. The date happens to collide with a certain Grand Shield weekend in Blackpool that my band is competing in.

So, doing the honourable thing, (as I promised to do in a church nearly a year ago) I'm clearing off on the coach to Blackpool at about 5:00 p.m. whether everything is moved or not.

Have any of you put banding ahead of everything else?

Moy

Yeh missed my mother and fathers silver wedding anniversary because of a band contest. All the relatives were there but the oldest child was missing - AGAIN!!
I do feel guilty about it now. :cry:

2nd man down

Staff member
Erm...yeah...I'm separated from my wife (although thankfully we're still good friends). My insistance on banding was a mojor factor in our separation (although I have to say it wasn't the only issue!!). :roll:

Trigger

Yep, I turned down a job in london that would have been my first proper full time job and would have been great experience for a uni student, because I didn't want to leave the band I was currently playing for. More fool me! :x Also missed out on chances to go on holidays with my mates, missed out on extra money from shifts at my current job and could have ended up in hospital, because I played at the Albert Hall with pneumonia even though I was told not to by the doc :shock: Never mind!! :D :wink:

I wouldn't miss much for band.

Band just gets in your blood, or under your skin.

Obviously it doesn't do any of that. It's about 25 players (+ drummers) and we all depend upon each other - if one part is missing, then the whole,is not complete.

It's the same with cricket, football, rugby teams............

When we are all together, playing well........the music comes out!!!

That's what we went for.........

Okiedokie of Oz

I give up all my fave TV shows for band. I am yet to see a complete season of 24!!!!!! However, Alias is now on nights where I can watch!!!!

DublinBass

Supporting Member
My wife and I are giving up two quite steady and comfortably paying jobs (and our house and three cats) to move to England (from the States) and spend all next year banding!

Okiedokie of Oz said:
I give up all my fave TV shows for band. I am yet to see a complete season of 24!!!!!! However, Alias is now on nights where I can watch!!!!

HHHHHhhhhhhmmmmm, I dunno man, 24 and Alias are pretty important!!!!!

I usually just always make sure I am set up to record them when band is on although this past season they have conveniently screened so my week is 24/Alias/Band/Alias/Band.

If I have to work through an important band rehearsal I always call in sick :evil: :evil: - Horribly dishonest I know but I'm young and I can do it.

Dan

BBCbariUSA said:
My wife and I are giving up two quite steady and comfortably paying jobs (and our house and three cats) to move to England (from the States) and spend all next year banding!

WOW! Where in England are are you moving to?

lynchie

Nothing, I hate band and will do anything to avoid it... :p

Well to be honest I did once spend all day setting up a surprise birhday party for a mate of mine, waited for him to get there so that I could do the whole "Surprise!" thing with everyone else, and then had to leg it straight away for a concert... :x

jambo

i sadly passed on the offer of a ticket to the carling cup final and watch the mighty Boro lift their first cup ever, because I had a rehersal for a certain contest!

Sad but dedicated I feel! :roll:

drummergurl

anything to do with school ill miss for band. i had a very difficult decision to make last year though, i was in a youth choir that used to practise on saturday mornings then they changed it to monday evenings, guess what it clashed with! band. so i stuck with choir for a year and went to one band rehearsal a week, then i changed band and went to a champs section band, where i had to make the decision of band, or choir. at the time i joined the band they had just qualified for the nationals in the albert hall. guess which went! choir went and i stuck with banding, havent regretted the decision coz band is sooooooo much more fun than choir

Steve

I give up my life for band, at least it seems that way most of the time. All depends on how important the gig/rehearsal is I suppose.

Hornted

When our second child was born the date was to coincide with the Yeovil contest. However my husband had a word with the consultant and bought the day forward as I was having a caesarean, so he would not miss playing solo euph for the Willaim Davis Band at the contest.

Fortunately I too am a committed and dedicated band person and so did not mind too much. Just made him promise to get up in the night following the birth for a period of not less than one year, reasonable I thought!

Melanie

louise0502

I am seriously considering not going to one of the top unis, but one closer, so i can still go to band. Not that there's anything wrong with portsmouth/southampton etc. but everyone thinks i'm mad for wanting to stay close by!

And, off topic, but my brother missed the birth of his son because he wanted to watch Arsenal win the FA cup final last year!

katej

quote="Steve"]I give up my life for band, at least it seems that way most of the time.
Same here Steve!!
I turned down double time to play at the areas this year and my childrens social lives can also suffer if I have to play. My eldest seems to get it
worst as she goes to scouts on a friday and has had to miss sometimes because we're doing concerts or extra rehearsals for contests. My second daughter doesn't get to go to cubs because its the same day as we rehearse but she's learning the cornet so she understands as one day she will be in the band with me.
My son hasn't suffered yet but my youngest must wonder sometimes at 19 months why mummy isn't here to put her to bed!! :oops:
That's banding I suppose and it works for me although with Buxton coming up I haven't been in the house much this week and I need to iron my uniform at some point and we have rehearsal tomorrow as well!
Kate

deave

jambo said:
i sadly passed on the offer of a ticket to the carling cup final and watch the mighty Boro lift their first cup ever, because I had a rehersal for a certain contest!
Ditto Bro...gutted. BUT: Boro for the Eufa cup next year!!! Chamon

I'm missing the grand shield to go to my sister's wedding next wkend. If i hadn't got someone to do it i would have gone to the wedding tho :?

This is the only time i've ever put my family first tho. I missed being a "godfather" to my cousin last year because of a CD recording.

Wouldn't miss an Xbox sesh for anything tho

Deave - Sellers