Deathly Hallows : WARNING!! CONTAINS SPOILERS!

rcalvert20

I thought the book was fab!! Couldn't put it down! I'm just devastated that Dobby died!! I cried like a baby when that happened. Still am.... sob, sob.

Nuke

Poor poor Snape. I cried, but then I am a very soppy badger.
I've been arguing for months that Harry was the last horcrux, but that Voldemort didn't mean him to be. Hah! I am vindicated. Excuse me while I go for a gloat...
BMB
xx

Harry had to be the last horcrux. It made sense considering that Voldemort had left a part of himself in Harry, albeit unintentionally. If Harry was having to destroy objects with parts of Voldemort in them then in the end he would have to have died.

If you had to argue that with anyone they obviously have not been paying attention since the very beginning.
I don't get that when Harry "died" what that little naked baby was? Did JK decide that was supposed to represent Voldemorts sould being dislodged from Harry or what?
I have to admit The last few books were too long to take it all in.

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
The book has 598 full pages of text. Each page has roughly 35 lines of text, each roughly containing between 15/20 words.

OK, now for the science bit.

598 x 35 = 20930 lines of text.

20930 x 17.5 (to be fair) words = 366275 words

So you're reading speed is

366275 / 180 = 2034.8611111 words per minute or more astonishingly,

2034.8611111 / 60 = 33 words per second.

I watched Short Circuit yesterday and I think he could just about read that quick!!!!

The maths may be a little off but my amazement at reading in the region of 350,000+ words in 180 minutes isn't!!!

I have shown my workings for the many teachers who no doubt will check and even more so without doubt, be reading this book.

I've always been a speed reader but that has amazed me.

Big Twigge

I loved it - although thought that the epilogue (the 18 years later bit) was a bit too naff for my liking!

What happened to Fawkes? I always thought he might reappear to help Harry save the day...

Glad the Snape thing was resolved - I always trusted Dumbledore, there had to be a good reason!

All in all as good as 6 and better than 5 in my opinion!

Leyfy

Who gives a monkeys. IT'S A BOOK!!!

Couldn't get moving in Asda last night for kids queueing up to maybe get a copy of this book.

Yes, but as my boyfriend pointed out the other day - its nice to see kids getting worked up about a book for a change!

Morghoven

Harry had to be the last horcrux. It made sense considering that Voldemort had left a part of himself in Harry, albeit unintentionally. If Harry was having to destroy objects with parts of Voldemort in them then in the end he would have to have died.

If you had to argue that with anyone they obviously have not been paying attention since the very beginning.

It's quite easy to say that with hindsight, but previously there was no way of being sure about the exact magical origins of Horcruxes. Even at the end of the sixth book it was unclear whether there had to be intent to create a Horcrux, i.e. that you had to deliberately move a bit of your soul into the new object - if this had been the case, Harry couldn't have been a Horcrux.

The clues were there that Harry may have been a Horcrux, but it wasn't possible to know for certain. Hence the discussions!

Rapier

Supporting Member
I enjoyed it and am relieved that none of the major characters died. I like Happy Endings.

horn-girlie

I really enjoyed the book, but was a little dissapointed by the cheesy ending. Not just that Harry didn't die, as that makes sense once you know why, but I thought the 'nineteen years later' chapter with Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny and the children was a bit overly cheesy ... but thought the rest of the book was great. Can't believe dobby died though ...

I loved it!

During all the hype, JKR said that there was one chapter that had her in tears, and that has to be the one about Snape. It made a lot of things make sense to me.

People are moaning about Harry not being killed off, but if she did i think there would have been up roar!

Andy Cooper

I loved it!

During all the hype, JKR said that there was one chapter that had her in tears, and that has to be the one about Snape. It made a lot of things make sense to me.

People are moaning about Harry not being killed off, but if she did i think there would have been up roar!

But it leaves the door wide open for another book to answer all the unanswered questions on the aftermath - theres a big gap between Voldemort kicking the bucket and that last chapter. Perhaps when JKR has spent a few million or made a couple of bad investments and needs to replenish the bank a bit, we just might see another novel.

Cynic - no not me!!

waynefiler

Wowee!!!

Just finished, and what a great book. 600 odd pages of pure action, loved every word. I even had a go at the wife cos she hid my book last night so today i've neglected the house work and finished it off.

Ending was thoroughly cheesy, got a little confused with all the kids names far too many I think!.

At the beginning of the "kings cross" chapter when Harry met up with Dumbledore, I half expected the "and Harry awoke to find it all a dream" chestnut.

Can't wait for the movie but can't imagine it being any less than a cert 15, far too many deaths.

And Michelle, an average of 2 lines of text a second of reading for 3 hours??? how could you take in the storyline? I smell freshly baked pork pies!!

annmck

Morghoven..Thank you for your comments.
I totally agree that if any book encourages reading, especially in young people that can only be a good thing. Reading should be encouraged by people of all ages and seems to be forgotten in our age of instant home entertainment.
So, as someone who reads every night before bed perhaps I should try reading one of J.K's books.

Morghoven

Morghoven..Thank you for your comments.
I totally agree that if any book encourages reading, especially in young people that can only be a good thing. Reading should be encouraged by people of all ages and seems to be forgotten in our age of instant home entertainment.
So, as someone who reads every night before bed perhaps I should try reading one of J.K's books.

As always, they're just my opinions! :biggrin:

I reckon you could do much worse than give it a go. You can be pretty sure that the local library will have copies of them all! The one thing I would caution for anyone coming fresh to the Potter canon is that they are children's books...at least in principle. Expect Joyce, Tolstoy or even Tolkein and you will be sorely disappointed; but what I like about them is that they are a darn good story and a wonderfully shameless bit of escapism. Oh, and they are a "proper" series (unlike, for instance, the Chronicles of Narnia which are chronological but do stand on their own as well), so do begin at the beginning or the rest will get quite confusing.

hellyfrost

Oh, and they are a "proper" series (unlike, for instance, the Chronicles of Narnia which are chronological but do stand on their own as well), so do begin at the beginning or the rest will get quite confusing.

Yeah I'd agree with that! I started on book five after seeing the first three films which was VERY confusing wondering who Cedric was all the way through.
After book five i went back and read each book in order in time for the launch of book six. Since book six I think I've read books one to four, four times each and five and six, six times each. They're really "re-readable" as the plotlines are quite dense and I find I miss things when I'm reading them for the first time as I'm rushing through to find out what happens next! I'm off to read book seven again now so that it all makes a little more sense! lol:oops:

SuperMosh

Finished reading it last night. Took my time with it seeing I have waited 2 years for the book!

Thought it was good and a very appropriate way to end a great series.

Couple of bits confused me though:

- how did the Gryfindor Sword come to be at Hogwarts at the end (I think)
- did I miss the bit where Tonks / Lupin died? Also Fred? I can only remember Harry returning to the hall and people mourning over their bodies.

Di B

- how did the Gryfindor Sword come to be at Hogwarts at the end (I think)
- did I miss the bit where Tonks / Lupin died? Also Fred? I can only remember Harry returning to the hall and people mourning over their bodies.

The sword was with the trio - when they went to the room of requirement to start with I think they left it there.

You didn't actually read about Tonks and Lupin dying. They just did. A bt like real life I guess - you don't see everyone who dies in a war, sometimes your friends get hit and you wouldn't know until it was too late.

Fred was killed while joking with Percy, but I can't remember who attacked him. Harry, Ron, Percy and Fred were all together at the time.

Hope that helps

umchacha56k

i really enjoyed it, it took me 7 hours and 13 minuets with a band seating audition in between.

As with any great book however i was left with un answered pointless questions.

For example are we to presume that prof mcgonogall is head mistress at the end?

The Cornet King

Just finished reading the book.
Fantastic! I thought it was rather emotional when Lily, James Sirius and Lupin appear with Harry, I must admit I was swelling up a bit (the sad git that I am). All in all a book that grips you from start to finish and I thought it all ended wonderfully. I'm still gobsmacked that you can write a 7 book series with such complex storylines and still tie them all together so seamlessly. At least my mum will be pleased that Ron and Hermione finally got together, she's been crying out for that for the last 2 books!
I think JK Rowling has pretty much lodged herself in the literary hall of fame, a true genius!

Really sad that there are no more books to read though, just means I have to read them all again. I hope my kids will read them in the future.

Ruthless

Really sad that there are no more books to read though, just means I have to read them all again. I hope my kids will read them in the future.

Is there something you are not telling us Chris? :p

I loved it...and as many people have said they are easy to reread. I will certainly go back and reread them all again, I'll pick up all the stuff that I missed by reading too fast the first time round!!

Product tMP members are discussing