David King Leaves YBS

Anno Draconis

tromtim said:
As has been said the players have shown tremendous loyalty to DK and opinion amongst many of the players is that next weekends concerts may be the last.
That would be a great shame, and a sad loss to the movement. In any case, surely a band of YBS' stature has concert bookings beyond next week that they will need to fulfil?

tromtim said:
Without doubt they have been the 'band of the decade' and their European feats will probably never be matched. Perhaps it is better that they go out at the top.
Normally, I don't agree with this. So many top section bands have folded because they couldn't maintain their playing standard and didn't want to face a few years rebuilding in the lower sections. Sun Life, Point of Ayr, Kennedy's Swinton Concert, CWS Manchester, William Davis Construction Group..... the list goes on and it just seems such a waste. However in this case YBS are so synonymous with King that for a new MD to come in and make their mark seems almost impossible. Big shoes to fill! If a majority of players choose to follow DK in whatever he does next it's hard to see where YBS go next.

That said, there is another band in the "structure", the former Hammonds Hawley now YBS Concert. I don't know how the structure works; are they still related in some way? Or are they now entirely unrelated bands?

Red Elvis

When I started playing again a few years back , and knowing very little of the contesting band world , it was to the recordings of YBS and Prof King that I first turned and I have been a fan ever since . I wish Prof King all the best wherever he ends up and truly hope that YBS can weather the uncertainty and carry on at the standard they have set for themselves

2nd man down

Staff member
Wow! What a shocker! I suppose the best time to go is while the successful times are still there, leave on a high as it were, but still...I don't think anyone saw this one coming just yet!

Best of luck to Prof David King and indeed to YBS in their future endevours.

SuperCat

I hope YBS can get a big name conductor that will keep them playing to their fantastically high standard, if not perhaps players will leave. The top chair at Briggus is empty now Alan Morrison is conducting so perhaps that's Staurt Lingard sorted, although I don't fancy the chances of his wife playing the same band if he goes there!

Good luck YBS and David King.

jingleram

Having seen David King in concert with YBS at Regent Hall, I was blown away by their quality, his conducting, and his compering! He is a fantastic MD, an d I wish him all the best. But who is to say he will take on another band? 4barsrest say he is going home for Christmas (there's a song in there somewhere :D) so maybe when he returns, he might branch out into orchestral directing? Who knows, perhaps he will go on to conduct the country's first full time professional *shudder* wind band?? ;)

jingleram

Sop Willebroek said:
Good luck to YBS & Mr. King. I'm sure they both will be fine :)
All credit to you bert, you played outstandingly on that day!! (National championships and Regent Hall)

stopher

brassneck said:
- I wonder if he will suit a bearskin hat?

He'll be easy to spot - he's the one with the corks dangling!!!!

Sorry-couldnt resist but a big loss to YBS. Hope he still stays in the movement and also involved with the Conservertoire de Salford!

I will now confirm that I won't be applying for the job!

Bungle

Sop Willebroek said:
Good luck to YBS & Mr. King. I'm sure they both will be fine :)
Are you fishing for a band to play for next year? ;) I am sure you would be a great asset for any band :clap:

24aw

I’m guessing the main reason for him going is a cash issue (or lack of it) he is a fantastic musician, a touch mad (apparently, dont know the chap, but genius and madness are often common bed fellows) but a dead cert contest winner for any band. I feel quite sure he will be in regular employment very soon because there are huge named bands out there who need to be winning more. Dyke and Grimthorpe with the personnel they have should be winning every other contest, they don’t...Fairy’s, the best band of the nineties should never be out the top 3, fodens with there heritage of forward thinking should be exploring new avenues, Then there are the likes of Besses probably in the top three of famous banding names and with an advantage of being in a great area (just a short tram journey from central Manchester) should have a great band. CWS Manchester, would the co-op really fund 2 brass bands? Doubt it? Brighouse, consistent band, reliable income from you know what;) the possibilities are endless for a man of his tallents.watch this space eh!!!

ian perks

So then who do you think will take up the Baton at YBS after David King?
It will for sure be a very hard act to follow

Seth

Anno Draconis said:
Even if he does nothing, King and YBS are responsible for so many of the finest musical moments of the last decade - Blitz at the European springs immediately to mind - that he's already got his place in the hall of fame!
I remember that performance, it came something like 8th in the own choice category and made them 4th overall :icon_cry:

Bungle said:
Are you fishing for a band to play for next year? ;) I am sure you would be a great asset for any band :clap:
Thanks, but Willebroek will always be my first band. But beeing a guestplayer can be also very nice.

Roger Thorne

johnmartin said:
Haven't a lot of the truly great players already left YBS e.g. Roberts, Griffiths, Saynor, Pritchard et al. They still have Stuart Lingard and Sheona White and of course they are still a very capable band. I suppose it all hinges on who is appointed to replace Prof. King. It would be sad to see the demise of a band of whom I am a big fan.
Erm, they did have!

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=4643

News item courtesy of 4Barsrest

Griffis

As a past member of the band, I have been privelaged to work with not only Prof King, but also some other world class musicians, and it is very sad to see any band lose conductors and/or players. YBS were under a massive re-build project which took place when I was still there, and in all honesty, it was still very much re-building at the nationals (where they played really well), and in order to compete at the highest level against Dyke, BAYV, Brighouse etc with no money, they lads and lasses have done a fantastic job. Everybody seems to be in it for the money these days which is a shame...as much as bands need money to survive, in one respect, money seems to be the main reason behind a lot of bands collapsing these days.

Anyway, I really hope that YBS lives on, even without DK and Sheona, and who knows, one or two others may follow, but one thing is for certain...YBS will never be forgotten!!!

Best of luck to Dave and all the boys and girls up in Huddersfield!

Dewi
(Bumper up 2004 - 2006)

Hornic

Anno Draconis said:
That said, there is another band in the "structure", the former Hammonds Hawley now YBS Concert. I don't know how the structure works; are they still related in some way? Or are they now entirely unrelated bands?
Hi
YBS Concert is still very much in exsistence. However the links with YBS band have declined over the years for no other reason than not sharing a band room any longer. When we reached the finals two years ago DK came to take a rehersal which was a brilliant experience. There is also YBS community Brass (formally YBS Juniors). They are still together.
We lost our sponsorship from YBS in June 2006 but are doing well and are looking forward to the first section Yorkshire area in March.

Thanks

Maz

Anno Draconis said:
It seems far more likely that he would look for a project that involves resurrecting or revitalising an old name currently struggling in the lower reaches of the top section; maybe Besses or Wingates, although neither have a vacancy in the middle at the moment.
Thanks for the idea but I'd just like to point out that we're not a 'struggling in the lower reaches of the top section' band - and in fact we're doing pretty damn fine at the moment, having released 4 CD's this year, INCLUDING a Christmas single (plug, plug... see www.wingatesband.co.uk for details on how to order...) AND one of our CD's has been nominated for 4barsrest CD of the Year AND we've come in the top 4 bands at the area for the last 3 years.

So thanks, but we'll stick with what we've got.

Maz
1st Baritone
Wingates Band

Bungle

I hope that if Prof King does create a new competition winning band, it does not decimate any others.

I hope that professor King is a big success at the coldstream guards and thus gets the mainstream recognition his talent deserves. If so, I doubt he will ever take a brass band full time again. A case of been there - done that. However, I would be happy if I'm proved wrong on the 2nd point.

Thankyou for the music Dave.