David Childs has definitely arrived

James Yelland

Active Member
I see that David Childs will be playing Alun Hoddinott's Euphonium Concerto at this year's Proms - Prom 63, 2nd September. Good to see someone introducing the instrument to a new audience.

He has definitely arrived, hasn't he? More power to his (non-wobbling) elbow!
 

Straightmute

Active Member
David has also been engaged to play at the prestigious Harrogate International Music Festival on 4th August, programme TBA.

Other artists appearing in the Festival include Wynton Marsalis and The Harrogate Band.

D
 
Wouldn't it be brill if more of bandings top "artists" could get into the public eye like this............I'm sure if they could, our flat cap and whippets image would diminish somewhat.
 

James Yelland

Active Member
CaharleyFarley said:
Wouldn't it be brill if more of bandings top "artists" could get into the public eye like this............I'm sure if they could, our flat cap and whippets image would diminish somewhat.
Well, yes, although I think he would be well advised to keep brass bands at a certain distance, though.

In a way, I am dreading the Proms performance - I fear that before the last note has died away there will be one of those raucous "yeeeessssss" type cheers from any bandsmen in the audience who might be there, as if it were some sort of contest between brass bands and the rest of the music world!
 

Seedhouse

Active Member
Where can you buy Muso magazine from??? (preferably in Nottingham for any locals!) (Oh, and apart from the website!)
Would be interested in getting the next issue to read the article.
 

ScrapingtheBottom

Active Member
Seedhouse said:
Where can you buy Muso magazine from??? (preferably in Nottingham for any locals!) (Oh, and apart from the website!)
Would be interested in getting the next issue to read the article.
You don't need to buy it, just go in to the University of Nottingham Music Department (opposite Lakeside Arts Centre) and there are usually a load of copies on a table below the noticeboard.
 

James Yelland

Active Member
ScrapingtheBottom said:
James Yelland said:
Well, yes, although I think he would be well advised to keep brass bands at a certain distance, though.
Why?
Because he is trying to establish the euphonium as a solo instrument in its own right, not as a representative of the brass band culture. To be seen as the latter may act as a disincentive to the lay concert-going public - posibly even to some composers as well.
 

ScrapingtheBottom

Active Member
James Yelland said:
ScrapingtheBottom said:
James Yelland said:
Well, yes, although I think he would be well advised to keep brass bands at a certain distance, though.
Why?
Because he is trying to establish the euphonium as a solo instrument in its own right, not as a representative of the brass band culture. To be seen as the latter may act as a disincentive to the lay concert-going public - posibly even to some composers as well.
I thought we had got rid of the backward views of brass bands? Many of the top brass soloists have very close links with brass bands (Doug Yeo, Joe Alessi for instance), I don't think it is appropriate to forget an instrument's musical history, etc. Of course, if David does turn virtuoso then he won't have time to be involved in banding (except as a guest soloist). I think you are too disingenuous about the concert-going public - and as for composers - well who knows what goes on in their heads.
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Equally, I've heard plenty of orchestral concerts, with or without soloists, where the performance is greeted with a raucous "Bravo" or similar even before the last chord has sounded.

David has, of course, already played the "Hoddinott" at a series of Welsh Proms, as well as sharing three recitals at prestigious London venues, without being swamped by out-of-control banding groupies, so I don't think we need worry over-much :wink:
 

WorldofBrass.com

Active Member
Seedhouse said:
Where can you buy Muso magazine from??? (preferably in Nottingham for any locals!) (Oh, and apart from the website!)
Would be interested in getting the next issue to read the article.
The current issue lists specific music outlets but also says 'nationwide from HMV and Borders'.
 

andyp

Active Member
Classic FM (that well known home of brass band music, not!) played his version of Gabriel's Oboe on Sunday morning just gone. Was a pleasant surprise, given that the only brass band piece I've ever heard played on there is Padstow Lifeboat!
Does anyone know if the Gabriel's Oboe arrangement for Euph is published or a "special" just for the album?
 

WorldofBrass.com

Active Member
On Davids CD Metamorphosis, it says that he did the arrangement himself. I would therefore suspect that it was a 'special' for that disc.
 

andyp

Active Member
WorldofBrass.com said:
On Davids CD Metamorphosis, it says that he did the arrangement himself. I would therefore suspect that it was a 'special' for that disc.
Thanks for that, I kind of suspected that as it was a wind ensemble accompanying him?
My wife (our solo euph) fancied a go at it, but we do have the flugel/cornet arrangement so that might work with a little adjustment.
 

TIMBONE

Active Member
James Yelland said:
ScrapingtheBottom said:
James Yelland said:
Well, yes, although I think he would be well advised to keep brass bands at a certain distance, though.
Why?
Because he is trying to establish the euphonium as a solo instrument in its own right, not as a representative of the brass band culture. To be seen as the latter may act as a disincentive to the lay concert-going public - posibly even to some composers as well.
I can see your point, however, "euphonium" is, as far as I know, a 'euphomous' term :lol: for the TENOR TUBA. The 'euphonium' is already an established part of the orchestral repertoire, eg lots of music by Richard Strauss, Holsts Planets, and Janaceks Sinfonietta, to name a few.
 

James Yelland

Active Member
TIMBONE said:
I can see your point, however, "euphonium" is, as far as I know, a 'euphomous' term :lol: for the TENOR TUBA. The 'euphonium' is already an established part of the orchestral repertoire, eg lots of music by Richard Strauss, Holsts Planets, and Janaceks Sinfonietta, to name a few.
Well, same instrument, yes, different syle, yes also. Try putting lots of euphonium 'wobble' on the tenor tuba solos in Mars and see what reaction you get! And although the tenor tuba does indeed get its moments to shine in the orchestral repertoire, it never gets the chance to stand up at the front of the orchestra and take the bouquet at the end.

By the way, I think the word you are looking for is 'synonymous'.

Best wishes
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty certain, also, that the euphonium would have featured in some of the earliest Proms, where it was quite common to have what would now be seen as "novelty" solo items alongside standard and even quite avant garde orchestral repertoire. It's certainly quite enlightening to see some of the early programmes, and I don't know that they would go down so well with today's audiences :wink:
 
Top