Dance on a Volcano

brassneck

TheMusicMan said:
Hey brassneck you are very good and you give an exemplary analysis of the information presented here. You might be on to something...;)

... it would have to be someone whose family roots belong to an area where brass bands were part and parcel of community life, and possibly contributed in some way! More likely Northern than from the South. Erm, ....

... and maybe not! :(

PeterBale

Staff member
I reckon I've worked it out:

"Genesis" = "in the beginning";

"John's" (ie tMM's) gospel starts "In the beginning was the word"

"The Word" was presented by . . . Terry Christian ;)

brassneck

Ahhh! ... but John mentioned 'Walking Away From Rainbows', which could also mean a mention for Richie Blackmore.

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
I was asked a few years ago about this Genesis number and the possibility of a band arrangement. Who's name is given as the arranger if it's been published?

This piece was arranged by David Beal and published by his own Headline Music Productions and as Will said it's b****y difficult!!

brassneck

Nigel Hall said:
This piece was arranged by David Beal and published by his own Headline Music Productions and as Will said it's b****y difficult!!

Thanks for that, Nigel! The track always sounded great with Genesis playing it live (... the memories :) ) but hopefully the band arrangement does it justice! I thought 'Squonk' or 'Los Endos' would have been better candidates from the album (... and yes, 'Los Endos' is technically more challenging than 'Dance ...'). Only my opinion, but the classic Prog. Rock and Jazz Rock/Funk era of the 70s has been and passed. The music was never gigantic for the masses driven by commercial 'pop' and may not have much relevance today for performance except for the players themselves and the lucky ones who who chose to listen to the more individualistic styles. Steve Hackett's 'Ace Of Wands' from his first album 'The Voyage Of The Acolyte' would be a fantastic workout for band.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Well... great news. I have just had permission to publish the interview - and am staggerd that they only asked for just one small typo to be corrected...

Will be online within the hour...:) any more guesses...? (Mods, MRSH and Will the Sec excluded ;) )

brassneck

TheMusicMan said:
Well... great news. I have just had permission to publish the interview - and am staggerd that they only asked for just one small typo to be corrected...

Will be online within the hour...:) any more guesses...? (Mods, MRSH and Will the Sec excluded ;) )

... one typo? The person's name? heheheheh! More for the cooking pot ... Rod Stewart? Still think it's linked to Genesis though (even though they all came from London). The internet makes the world a small place and it could be anyone, considering an e-mail is all that is required to get in touch with someone! :confused:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
brassneck said:
... one typo? The person's name? heheheheh! More for the cooking pot ... Rod Stewart? Still think it's linked to Genesis though (even though they all came from London). The internet makes the world a small place and it could be anyone, considering an e-mail is all that is required to get in touch with someone! :confused:

The interview consisted of a 1 hour 15 minute telephone call...:biggrin:

Di

TheMusicMan said:
The interview consisted of a 1 hour 15 minute telephone call...:biggrin:

Didn't you speak to him twice John? Wasn't it "him" who answered the phone when you rang to confirm the arrangements. :cool:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Dinie said:
Didn't you speak to him twice John? Wasn't it "him" who answered the phone when you rang to confirm the arrangements. :cool:
Yup it was Di... sort of took me by suprise there tooas I wasn't expecting to have him answer the telephone. As it happened, I got straight through to the studio...;)

Di

Just in case you've blinked and missed it, all has now been revealed! See HERE!! for tMP's first exclusive! :cool:

brassneck

Hmmmmm! I wouldn't have expected Steve Hackett to be the one. Saying that, his earlier albums are great and the last concert I saw ('Spectral Mornings' tour) was immense gig-wise and equal to the light shows of Genesis. Good one, though! :cool: :tup (better get back to my job!)