Current Spam issue

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
Apologies all for the current spam issue - Peter & I are removing them as quickly as we can spot them but they are persistent!

To whoever owns this site - can you read the post I placed in the Mod's forum and turn off the ability for non registered users to post and also blacklist the ip address - thanks!

John Brooks

Thanks Pauli. I realize spammers are a persistent bunch and I personally found their intrusion into several obituary posts in very poor taste. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your affirmative action but want to acknowledge it.

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
Thanks Pauli. I realize spammers are a persistent bunch and I personally found their intrusion into several obituary posts in very poor taste. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your affirmative action but want to acknowledge it.
Thanks John! As quick as we delete them, more arrive. My biggest concern is what happens overnight as the only 2 active mods are UK based. The site owner needs to takes some urgent action to avoid us waking up tomorrow with a significant problem!

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
as an update, I am working my way through locking all of the current posts in the unregistered users forum - It would be a good idea for any new tributes to be placed within one of the other forums for the time being.

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
Is there some confusion over who the site owner is these days?
Having only recently returned from living in Germany for a few years, I am only just getting back into using the site so have no idea if the owner when I left is the same today.
Fortunately, I still have moderator status so have been able to do something here to stop the deluge.

tMP Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Pauli Walnuts - first thank you for nixing that spam - I was doing a bit of traveling at the end of last week, so apologies for the later reply.

I've disabled posting in the obituaries for the time being, since it was the main point of entry for the spam. Our registration system catches them when they register, but allowing them to post without additional information seemed to be the weak point in our system.

I did ensure notifications would be sent out for future cases or concerns in the future.