Crowd Pleasers

lynchie

Re: ask a flixtonite

TIMBONE said:
I tread carefully here, because I don't want to be accused of 'self publicity', so ask a 'Flixtonite' about "Presley in Mind", like 'sparklingquavers' or 'lynchie' or 'ju33les' or 'leisa'

yup, definitely keeps the crowds pleased!!

Owen

Well - based on recent concert evidence and much to our surprise, Aces High is a real crowd pleaser. Especially for those people who are in a position to be able to watch as well as listen to our sop player Jason going through the ridiculous twiddly woodwind part. Amazing that anyone can go that colour and not pop something.

Generally, as well, anything that involves lots of percussion, or at least that requires our percussion players to do a lot of running around gets an extra cheer. Shine as the Light with just the two of them doing the work at the back always seemed to go down well!

No doubt this will provoke groans from other folks in my band who are on tMP but if there's one piece which never ever fails to get a crowd going it's Alan Fernie's arrangement of "Abba Goes Brass". No doubt we'll be wheeling that one out over the summer........

PeterBale

Staff member
During our Easter trip to Holland, RSA's trombone ensemble "Peter, James and John" proved a great hit with the crowds, and we played it each day we were away - mind you, in a comic song composed on the coach during the return trip, the bandmaster was warned what would happen to certain parts of his anatomy if he programmed it again :oops: :wink: :lol:

LauraGxx

Ground force or Harry Potter then youve got the even cheesier ones like YMCA
but we keep the really bad ones for special occassions someone really like Die Felschen.... wateva its called once

George BB

Just remembered what that one about leaving the cake out in the rain is. Mc'arthur Park. Always leaves people singing the tune for quite some time afterwards.

Bluebottle

LauraGxx said:
Ground force or Harry Potter then youve got the even cheesier ones like YMCA
but we keep the really bad ones for special occassions someone really like Die Felschen.... wateva its called once

.....muhle?!

BassBlaster

When I was a young boy, we used to play Hootenanny and wander around the audience, but that was the seventies.
Try something from Acid Brass, It will surprise everyone!, not least you.

stephenmrry

Been from Ireland it would have to be riverdance it always gets the crowd going or a piece we played called swining kilts another gaurenteed crowd pleaser!!!!

tubafran

stephenmrry said:
Been from Ireland it would have to be riverdance it always gets the crowd going or a piece we played called swining kilts another gaurenteed crowd pleaser!!!!

I can tell your not a Scot then - I think that's what we called it too cos it's a swine when it gets to that bass solo - although I think the composer called it Swinging Kilts:p

Bungle

'Every body needs some body' from the blues brothers goes down well, can't remember the arranger though.

I was depping with a band on Saturday, and a group of teenage girls started heckling us in passing, so they were asked to stand in front of the band and do the actions to YMCA while we played and they did! So remember next time you play it, get some audience participation.

stephenmrry

Another thing that goes down with crowds is a theme night! My band used to dress up like say cow boys and do the good the bad and the ugly and have the soloists go mad fighting or celtic themed playing cry of celts riverdance the gael! Ah memories!!!!

Bill Bailey is a great piece-fantastic Xylophone solo featured in in it.

One of the best crowd pleasers though has to be 'The Battle of Trafalgar'-it features a great comentry thoughout AND if you wanted you could splash out on some period costumes, perhaps for the percussionists featured.

Product tMP members are discussing