Crowd Pleasers

Gig

I have found Born Free, unfortunatley, goes down well. along with most of those posted above

Di B

Anything that an audience can clap or sing to works really.... Can Can, Hornpipe (in fact most stuff used for proms jobs ie dambusters etc!!!), Keep smiling through (especially if your audience is more mature!), Puttin on the Ritz.

Think anything jazzy and tap footy, well known melodies, or people making a fool of themselves..... add the three together (maybe match of the day or tritsch tratch polka? (soz for the spelling!!)) and you should have the ultimate piece!

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
Any popular tune the audience can recognise usually goes down well. Disney Fantasy is always popular especially if you can get kids in the audience joining in with percussion for 'Bare Neccesities'

michellegarbutt said:
Any popular tune the audience can recognise usually goes down well. Disney Fantasy is always popular especially if you can get kids in the audience joining in with percussion for 'Bare Neccesities'

Is it me? or does no-one else recognise the trombone solo in that piece???

HBB

Mike Saville said:
michellegarbutt said:

Is it me? or does no-one else recognise the trombone solo in that piece???

DOn't worry, I don't know what it is but it's funny watching the whole band hoping that he'll get it!

"I've got EVERYTHING crossed :D"

Helter Skelter! (xylophone solo - yes, that's where my forum name comes from!). Always seems to go down well, I suppose because it's quite fast and flashy (though fairly easy to play). There's also the visual thing of sticks flying up and down (and occasionally off...) the keyboard.

geordiecolin

I recently played a great comedy arrangement of "The Lambton Worm" with Ellington Colliery. Great fun, and a little EEb Bass solo in there too!

Dunno about crowd pleaser, but it made me smile!!

groovy

Brazil...esp with our drummer! Also, Hello Dolly, Square Dance and Loves Old Sweet Song (our "noveltys") are popular.

We played a very 'subtle' arrangement of the Ugly Duckling last night by Alan Fernie. I think this would be a great 'crowd pleaser'.

Bluebottle

michellegarbutt said:

Like Breezin' Down Broadway!

Libby

Re clapping along in general: do members here who play in bands who listen to other bands usually join in with the clapping? I refuse every time as I feel a complete prat if I do. I just sit there with my arms crossed or in my pockets looking at everybody else in disbelief. As an audience member, I am awful. I tend to think that players make poor audiences.

Igg[/quote]

Yep, always clap and join in coz if you go and listen to someone you should give them your full support and nobodys that interested in you anyway and if you just sit there people tend to stare at you all the more and wonder who that miserable git is! :shock: :shock:

As for crowd pleasers Lord of the Dance always goes down well and Igg you'd love this one...YMCA the audience just love it waving their arms around and singing etc!! :lol: :lol:

Matt Griffith

Ahhhhhh. The very mention of instant concert sends shivers down my spine. :(

If you are playing to the older generation then anything from the classic musicals like the King and I or Oklahoma goes down well.
:D

The piece we're playing at the moment that the "mature" audiences are enjoying most at the moment is "Glenn Miller" Arr. Derek Ashmore. It goes on for ever but the audiences love it!

Pythagoras

Libby said:
Yep, always clap and join in coz if you go and listen to someone you should give them your full support and nobodys that interested in you anyway and if you just sit there people tend to stare at you all the more and wonder who that miserable git is! :shock: :shock:

As for crowd pleasers Lord of the Dance always goes down well and Igg you'd love this one...YMCA the audience just love it waving their arms around and singing etc!! :lol: :lol:

Made embarrasing faux pas when I went to listen to Stocksbridge once. They played Keep smiling through. We'd played it the same afternoon so I was fed up of it. We were right at the back but unfortunately my depressed sigh was so loud they could hear it from the stage :oops:

sparkling_quavers

Pythagoras said:
Made embarrasing faux pas when I went to listen to Stocksbridge once. They played Keep smiling through. We'd played it the same afternoon so I was fed up of it. We were right at the back but unfortunately my depressed sigh was so loud they could hear it from the stage :oops:

I'd say anything loud and with alot of percussion or a fast solo. Gaelforce is good, that's a plenty is one of my faves. Or anything that people recognise... the James Bond Medleys etc

Pythagoras

sparkling_quavers said:
Pythagoras said:

I'd say anything loud and with alot of percussion or a fast solo. Gaelforce is good, that's a plenty is one of my faves. Or anything that people recognise... the James Bond Medleys etc

What's my quote got to do with your comment?

Product tMP members are discussing