Coventry Variations Percussion

the fish

Dear All,

Wonder if anyone can help.

Coventry Variations has 4 percussion parts written, but are we allowed to play 4 players? - As you know you should never assume with Brass Band rulings!

Any help / guidance would be gratefully appreciated as I've just been appointed Contest Secretary!

Julian

hornydevil

Percussion

We discussed this at band the other night and according to our Contest Secretary you are allowed to play four percussion players.

Sue Clough
Blackburn & Darwen Band

Roger Thorne

Just to confirm:

British Brass Band Registry - Contest Handbook - Issue 4 - 2003

The Contest is open to Brass Bands only, consisting of a maximum of 25 brass players plus percussionists as required.
:wink:

BottyBurp

To confirm what Roger said, I phoned both the BBBR and our Area Committee to query this very point and the answer is yes.

lynchie

something that i always wondered... does that rule mean you could stick 10 perc players on the back and use the extras as mute removers for tubas, and give them the odd cymbal crash to stop the other perc players having to run around?

Roger Thorne

lynchie said:
something that i always wondered... does that rule mean you could stick 10 perc players on the back and use the extras as mute removers for tubas, and give them the odd cymbal crash to stop the other perc players having to run around?
Nothing in the rules that says you can't!

In fact with bands allowed to have 40 registered players on their books you could have 15 percussionists on stage.

Just think, you may never have to drop another player for a contest ever again!

:wink:

The Cornet King

Roger Thorne said:
In fact with bands allowed to have 40 registered players on their books you could have 15 percussionists on stage.

Just think, you may never have to drop another player for a contest ever again!
Then perhaps it is time to advise new composers to consider a suitable part for the 4th Assistant Tambourinist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not forgetting Bass wood block player! :D :D

BottyBurp

Roger Thorne said:
lynchie said:
Nothing in the rules that says you can't!

I believe you can only play "as many percussion players as the score demands"[/b]