Courtois or Sovereign Horn?

Cantonian

Sov V Sov

Unfortunately can't comment on the Courtois...does anybody want to let me have one on extended trial or freebie. However I bought Sov by taking out a loan when I started work in 1975, brilliant instrument. My daughter plays it now. I had a 'new' band sovereign about 6 years agowhich I reckon is a Friday afternoon instrument. I can't get consistency of dynamics across range ( I can on old instrument). Roll on the prestige unless its valves are anything like the two cornets used in our band. They're a couple of months old and the players are on their second gallon of valve oil!!

YESH WOOO GO ARFON!

I just dug out An older Sovereign than I normally use and I have decided I like it better. Next time I go home to my parents' house I'll dig out my own one which is ancient, & hope it still works :D

horn1

Courtois V Sov

I play on a sov that's about five years old. I really wanted an old round stamp but couldn't get one at the time. Lovely instrument, nice tone, crap valves! I've never had so many problems with valves! My whole band play on Courtois instruments but I stick with my sov. I had a go on the courtois when I first joined but didn't like it. The tuning wasn't great and the harmonics were definately different to the sov.
I don't have any problems tuning in to the rest of the band even though I'm on my lonesome on a sov. It's a shame about the courtois horn, I've played their cornets and flugels which I absolutely loved but the horn just isn't quite right!

Nicola
Solohorn Boarshurst

Bones

ComeBlowMyHorn said:
HunkySteve said:
Well, things have a habit of changing (thats why I have a look from time to time) no matter how important one thinks one is or how important one thinks one's band is they play for.

Thats why I like places like this - a real leveller, one might learn something.

BTW well done to Carlton Frickley - Rich and Carl head pats all round. (and the others too but I dont play with them)

HS

Not quite sure what ur implying here Steve, but rest assured I do not consider myself any more "important" than anyone else because I happen to play for a good band!! Firstly because Im not pathetic, and secondly because I have only ever been registered with two bands, one of which was a local village band back in Wales, so I'm a "veteran" when it comes to lower section banding. I will NEVER forget my roots as a player and am fully aware of amazing talent individually in other lower section bands.

My point was merely an opinion, and my references to the band I play for were not meant as boasts or anything like that.... I let my playing do the talking, not the seat Im sitting in!

Arfon,

I certinaly don't think there was any malice or subterfuse intended here. Steve's comments as I read them, indicated to me what we all know and believe, that the betters endorsees/rolemodels etc are the top players and top bands that use the instruments in vogue at the moment. Your band is no exception. People in the lower sections see that as a positive aspect but Steve has indicated that he wishes to look around. What harm is there in that.

Lets not get too emotional.

Cheers

Rich

So guys one and

horn1

Re: Courtois V Sov

You wanna blow my what? said:
horn1 said:
I really wanted an old round stamp but couldn't get one at the time.

Are the round stamp ones speshul or something?

As far as I've heard they're supposed to be the best of the older models. I could be misinformed though! I've been told the same about the cornets.

"no matter how important one thinks one is or how important one thinks one's band is they play for."

seemed to me like a comment directed at myself. Im sure it was not intended but I just had to clear things up, didnt want people getting the wrong impression about me

people seem to dwell on certain point for ages on this forum, it's just better to move on, dont you think?!?

"no matter how important one thinks one is or how important one thinks one's band is they play for."

seemed to me like a comment directed at myself. Im sure it was not intended but I just had to clear things up, didnt want people getting the wrong impression about me

people seem to dwell on certain point for ages on this forum, it's just better to move on, dont you think?!?

horn1 said:
As far as I've heard they're supposed to be the best of the older models. I could be misinformed though! I've been told the same about the cornets.

i heard the same and after trying a few I did end up with an old round stamp cornet, unfortunately never use the flippin thing now i'm playing Eb Bass! :roll:

Aidan

horn1 said:
horn1 said:
I really wanted an old round stamp but couldn't get one at the time.

Are the round stamp ones speshul or something?

yup the round stamps are judged to be the best of the sovereigns.
They come in old blue cases too.. very decent instruments, they are like gold-dust to find.
A word of advice tho, if you are fortunate to get one.. dont get it done up or refurbished if you can help it.. I was lucky enough to find an old round-stamp sov (around 15 yrs old) played like a dream, but looked a right state, so i had it done up and relaquered (spelling ;)) etc.. its like a different instrument now, looks good and still plays well, but has quite a thin sound and the upper register isnt as secure

Nadia said:
they are like gold-dust to find.

Gold dust is avaliable from the boots no. 7 range, it can be used as eyeshadow or a basic glitter.

I have one of these round stamp horns lying about in my bedroom in my parents house.

I somehow get the feeling that I should get it valued & insured, and that I should INDEED be using this one instead of the one I'm playing now......

*feels stupid*

Aidan

Gold dust is avaliable from the boots no. 7 range, it can be used as eyeshadow or a basic glitter.

Haha foiled again :D darnit

ye, just give the valves a good goin over and a bit of a scrub up, then give it a blow and see if anything happens :shock:

Aidan

hmm... soz i posted that twice.. i got this wierd message when i did it the first time.. so didnt think it worked..!

General Error

Failed sending email

DEBUG MODE

Line : 199
File : /homepages/18/d72033628/htdocs/phpBB2/includes/emailer.php

g'wan techno-nerds.. do yer stuff :D

Stewart

Ok, well as I'm a professional 'techno-nerd' then I'll have a go...

I think that means that something went wrong first time! :p

See, and all it took to come to that conclusion was four years at uni :D

Keppler

Staff member
alrighty then...

looks like a malformed email address or unescaped non alpha-numeric in someone's email adress which has caused the parser to stutter when trying to auto-respond regarding your post.

not a life threatining issue. Just ignore please.

I have tidied up your duplicate post.. ;)

Kepps

jimothy

Don't buy a Yamaha.

If you want something Japanese, get a Suzuki!!!

bike2.jpg

Product tMP members are discussing