Cornet players - top A trill?

andywooler

Supporting Member
That's a bit harsh without knowing the piece - admittedly it's unlikely in this case but there are reasons for leaving out a note other than 'I can't play it'. It would depend on what else is going on - perhaps the trill comes in between two much higher, louder, longer passages that can only be played by the sop, and so the sop needs to offload this one note just to get a breath.
If that's the case then the OP should give more information before requesting help. The tone of that post didn't suggest anyhting like that - once again, could we ask the OP to tell us what the piece was? I would have more sympathy if what Ronnie is suggesting is in fact the case.

GJG

[/i] The original OP said nothing of the kind - it never mentioned the length of the note.

Sorry, that didn't read as I intended it to; I was referring only to the actual notes of the trill.

My point re. the actual trill on the soprano was simply that I felt some people were rather unfairly "having a go" without knowing the background. Not all players (particularly inexperienced ones) find trills easy, on any instrument, and some trills are easier than others. I personally don't consider E to F# to be a "simple" trill, as some were implying. And if all other options have been tried, and have failed, then transferring the trill to another instrument/player is an option that any conductor would at least consider, surely?

andywooler

Supporting Member
Sorry, that didn't read as I intended it to; I was referring only to the actual notes of the trill.

My point re. the actual trill on the soprano was simply that I felt some people were rather unfairly "having a go" without knowing the background. Not all players (particularly inexperienced ones) find trills easy, on any instrument, and some trills are easier than others. I personally don't consider E to F# to be a "simple" trill, as some were implying. And if all other options have been tried, and have failed, then transferring the trill to another instrument/player is an option that any conductor would at least consider, surely?
Quite probably - we can though only infer from the original post which is lacking in the level of detail we would need to turn any of our opinions into anything other than that - opinions!
(although it does allow us all to have a musical discussion which will have brought out a number of ideas for the band concerened)

1alexm

I remember hearing you having a go at it once in a concert, didn't you alex. Did you lip trill it or what?

I tremoloed it nick, because i didn't relise it was so hard to actually trill it.
I have to be honest here.... I don't actually know the reason why the soprano player doesn't play it :oops:. The piece is Wizard of Oz selection by Eric Ball.
Well I think i'm going to practice double and triple tounging (i can triple tounge already... kinda), and then i'll start practicing lip trills. Thanks for your responses

towse1972

Such a burning question!! Its caused uproar... I have resisted posting but i cant refrain any longer..
Perfectionists.

towse1972

No...Just not worthy of whole thread.
I have another idea for a thread. I cant flutter tongue... please give me a hundred useless and pointless answers to my dilema.

andywooler

Supporting Member
No...Just not worthy of whole thread.
I have another idea for a thread. I cant flutter tongue... please give me a hundred useless and pointless answers to my dilema.
If you find this thread boring have you considered not reading any more of it?

<nickw>

Alex I think you meant to explain that its the run-up to the trill which puts our sop off, not the actual trill, it is actually quite hard.... But yes if it was an E-F trill alone then it should be played by a sop

SAEEbAusBoy

Have you considered not rising to the bait?

Pretty sure that guy wins.

Anyway, I agree with whatsaname back there that said trill from the B down to the A. In that range, trilling down is a lot easier. If that fails, just play the A and get someone else to play the B. It won't sound the same, but I'd laugh.

MarkGillatt

Put it on the damn xylophone or glock, just let the experts get the job done without any fuss, then you top row cornets can continue posing and preening :cool:

andywooler

Supporting Member
Alex I think you meant to explain that its the run-up to the trill which puts our sop off, not the actual trill, it is actually quite hard.... But yes if it was an E-F trill alone then it should be played by a sop
That then is a slightly different question! Thanks for clarifying that - I'm not familiar with the Wizard of Oz selection so have no idea what precedes the trill.

1alexm

Its sort of a solo thing, and it would clearly stand out. I think it would sound better if one person played it.

MoominDave

But if you're considering swapping the trill over, surely swapping the run over wouldn't sound any odder?

1alexm

The guy who is attempting to play the trill is also already playing the run up to it, both the run up and trill are included in the sop cue.

MoominDave

So why not have the run-up on the front row, and the trill on the sop? Surely the swapping will sound no worse than the trill getting mangled?