Cornet Mouthpieces

neiltwist

depth, in a 4B!

the 4 means it's got a 4 rim, with the B indicating a shallower depth than the plain 4. It is actually quite shallow, although not compared to trumpet mouthpieces.

there's no such thing as a backrow bander! if they play for one of the best bands in the country, then inherently they have to be good on the front row too!

the point about a 4B, is that it's about in the middle, and is easy to learn on, then, when a player becomes more advanced, they can try a different mouthpiece, and decide if they want to change or not.

the 4B however does not give an incredibly big sound. a plain 4 gives a fairly big sound, and the 3 even bigger. personally, I think the DW 3B is a fairly good mouthpiece, but then again I never was any good on cornet.

Phil, you need to listen to more cornet players.

sparkling_quavers

neiltwist said:
there's no such thing as a backrow bander! if they play for one of the best bands in the country, then inherently they have to be good on the front row too!
A backrow player in one of the big bands is obviously going to be a class player...and stick them on the front row and they would still be shining!
But I do have to disagree Neil! Players do have their niche. If you play backrow row and have to consistently play loud, intune low notes and you get used to doing it! Sit a front row player on backrow and they often could make a poor show of it just because they are not used to the demands. IMHO backrow is alot more challenging than front row (and more fun). I am playing front row at the moment but I would prefer to be on backrow because that is what I do well!

Kayleigh

Mouthpiece

The best ive [I've] found is a Yamaha 16e and you can get a good range as well as gettin [getting] all da [the] bottom notes ive [I've] had it for about a couple of years it is alot [a lot] better den [than] a 4B what do u [you] lot find best?? :?:

Keppler

Staff member
personally, I like punctuation..

oh right.. mouthpieces.. still happy with my DW4 gold plate, furry dice..

Keppler

Staff member
yes, many apologies Kayleigh.. sometimes I don't stop to think, and the smart remarks just come out all by themselves..

I was quite breathless and exhausted after reading your post though..

Phil Green

Supporting Member
Neil, point taken, as I said, probably I misunderstood. I got the wrong mouthpiece! :oops:

Don't agree about front/back row players being interchangeable though. At least not in the short term! A good front row player may not have the chops to play low stuff all night and a good backrow player will probably struggle playing a front row part after an piece or so.

It IS all about what you do best and in the best bands the backrows are made up of people who want to be the best backrow they can be and chose their hardware and practice routines accordingly.

That said, some of them, if they wanted to and were prepared to change their mouthpiece to suit, would be fabulous front row players. :)

super_sop

Supporting Member
Re: Mouthpiece

Kayleigh said:
The best ive found is a Yamaha 16e
I also play on a yamaha 16E but only recently changed from my 4B.
seems ok at the moment but im not really used to it yet.

neiltwist

I didn't say that front and back are interchangeable, but i think they are in the top bands. If the band is a top band, then they should surely have music where the back play high, and the front play low.

and on the subject of niches, yes, people do have a niche, and they may find that they enjoy playing backrow music more than front row, perhaps due to range or something similar.

neiltwist

sorry, just another quick one:

Rachael, some front parts are harder, and some back parts are harder. depends on the piece, and what an individual finds hard.

sparkling_quavers

neiltwist said:
sorry, just another quick one:

Rachael, some front parts are harder, and some back parts are harder. depends on the piece, and what an individual finds hard.
Yeah I agree, I didn't mean harder I meant demanding in different ways! 8) BTW it is Rachel :wink:

Toby

Ever thought of putting a McCann rim on a Wick cup and modifying the shank? :idea:

Alaric Knight's done it for a friend who reckons it's the dogs.

Toby Bannan

Mouthpiece etc...

In my opinion, changing mouthpieces to increase range, power etc is only a short term solution....

As a "misplaced" trumpet player (i.e. I am really a trumpet player that plays cornet/sop in brass bands!!), I have to swap mouthpieces regularly depending on the instrument I'm playing. I do struggle more on Bb cornet initially, but when I put the work in, range, power etc becomes just as it is on Trumpet.

I use the following mouthpieces...

Bb Trumpet - Schilke 16
Bb Cornet - DW 3B
Eb Cornet - Schilke 15A4
Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet - Schilke 15A4

bill_p

ive got a lewington mc cann mouthpiece and i think that they are quite difficult to make a big noise on, they do make a nice sound though. btw, i thought geogy played on a 4 not a 4b? i may be wrong.