Cornet Mouthpieces

sparkling_quavers

I am currently using a DW3. I played on a Bach pee shooter for ages but then had to change my I got a new cornet due to tuning problems. I also moved onto backrow for the last 3/4 years and thus decided to use something a bit deeper. I have now been demoted back to frontrow and still using the DW3. I can get a really nice tone but high notes are a killer! I tried moving back to something a bit shallower but I sounded like a strangled duck!! :shock: Anyone got any suggestions?

Straightmute

Have you tried the Lewington McCann mouthpiece? I've had the same dilemma: the Bach doesn't blend well enough and the Wicks are hard work, especially for me as I no longer play regularly. LMc mouthpiece is very comfortable, projects well and even I can make a nice sound sometimes...

D

sparkling_quavers

Straightmute said:
Have you tried the Lewington McCann mouthpiece? I've had the same dilemma: the Bach doesn't blend well enough and the Wicks are hard work, especially for me as I no longer play regularly. LMc mouthpiece is very comfortable, projects well and even I can make a nice sound sometimes...

D
Do you know where i could get hold of one?

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
sparkling_quavers said:
Straightmute said:

D
Do you know where i could get hold of one?
Rach, when I play - this is the MouthPiece I use... very, very comfortable indeed. Quite deep for a front-row mouthpiece though but once you're used to it you won't change.

... not so good for use as a Baton though...!! :roll:

John

Valvecap

Have played for 3 years on a DW4 (not the dreaded 4B) and worked well for me - but i agree with StraightMute - they are hard work for front row...
Would only change to a LMc if i could rebore the neck - really comfortable on the chops, nice tone, but you cant get enough air through the things - i mean... usually i can strip paint off walls... with the LMc, the wall laughs at me.... :(

James McFadyen

I would suggest Jet Tone mouthpieces! I used a shallow Trumpet Mouthpiece from Jet Tone, and top F's and G's (way aboce the stave) were achieveable without fatique!!

Straightmute

James McFadyen said:
I would suggest Jet Tone mouthpieces! I used a shallow Trumpet Mouthpiece from Jet Tone, and top F's and G's (way aboce the stave) were achieveable without fatique!!
Maybe, but you won't get through the bandroom door with one!

D

cornetgirl

I actually use the dreaded 4B....always have, but I'd quite like to try the Sparx or LMc one.....

At risk of drifting off topic or getting a nice moderator to start a new thread....what does everyone reckon the best flugel mouthpiece is? I've always used the 2FL DW one but any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Rach x

sudcornet

If you're comfortable with the DW3, why noy try a slight move smaller to the DW4? I've played the DW4W (Wide rim 'cos of my kissable lips, hahha) for a few years now and have no trouble from bottom F# to E'ish above top C and I've always played a large bore cornet (Sov 928 and Prestige) I think it's more a case of what you get used to. I think correct breathing is probably more important in a lot of ways than choice of instrument c/w m'piece. I once got told I had a good sound on one of those K&H peashooters (Sorry Tim) so it can't always be the tools!
Nigel.

neiltwist

I started out on cornet, and tried a few mouthpieces, including the Lewington McCann, but I think that the best I found was the DW4, DW3 gave me a better tone, but no range, although soon after I ended up on bass trom, and did significantly better, maybe I'm just not a cornet player eh?

Boneman

I started out on cornet, and tried a few mouthpieces, including the Lewington McCann, but I think that the best I found was the DW4, DW3 gave me a better tone, but no range, although soon after I ended up on bass trom, and did significantly better, maybe I'm just not a cornet player eh?
Neiltwist - Quite a change from Cornet to Bass Trombone! (although I do have to say this a a big step in the right direction) - I presume you did not play Bass trombone on a DW 3?

neiltwist

Boneman said:
Neiltwist - Quite a change from Cornet to Bass Trombone! (although I do have to say this a a big step in the right direction) - I presume you did not play Bass trombone on a DW 3?

It's amazing how high you can get!, although I think my lower range suffered a bit!

neiltwist

craigyboy1 said:
Why is the 4B dreaded?
What am I missing?
it's good for a learner, but after that most players move on to either a bigger or smaller one. Anyway, I've only ever heard one person get a good sound out of a 4B: David Geogeghan

Phil Green

Supporting Member
neiltwist said:
it's good for a learner, but after that most players move on to either a bigger or smaller one. Anyway, I've only ever heard one person get a good sound out of a 4B: David Geogeghan
Strange that, I've heard loads, especially back row players. The depth, unless I misunderstood the explanation from on of the finest backrow players in banding, means that second and third cornet players can create an incredibly big sound whilst maintaining a decent range.

Neil, you need to listen to more bands.