Cornet made in Glasgow in 1887 by Douglas & Sons

GordonH

I thought I would post a copy of this here because it may interest people who read this forum.

I bought an old cornet a couple of years ago and eventually got round to having it partially restored. This is some before and after shots and a bit of me playing it. The reason I know its from around 1887 is that there is an identical one in a museum with a known date, and that company did not make instruments for very long.

First, a bit of a disclaimer!

The air varie "My Love is Like a Red Red Rose" by WIlliam Weide played on a cornet made in Glasgow by Douglas & Sons around 1887.

This is not meant to be a tour de force of cornet playing and it was not rehearsed, its just a sound sample of what the instrument sounds like.
The photos show the state the instrument was originally in and then its partially restored state. I had it brought back into a playable state by an instrument repairer called Bryce Ferguson from Edinburgh. As you can hear the valve action has not been fixed. The valves leak a little bit and they make a lot of noise. I may get this fixed when I have more money.

This instrument does not like large modern mouthpieces. If I play it on a big mouthpiece the sound is very undefined. The original one was tiny and I could never play on it. The only small mouthpiece I have is a Kelly plastic 4B so I used that for this recording.

Now click here for the recording and the photos:

YouTube - My Love is Like a Red Red Rose by WIlliam Weide played on a vintage cornet.

Once I have the valves fixed it will be very playable.

First, I want to say that was an excellent job on the solo. Second, I would like to invite you to look at our website. We use all instruments of this vintage, and some older. On some pages we have background music. As you can tell, there are always intonation issues with this equipment.

GordonH

First, I want to say that was an excellent job on the solo. Second, I would like to invite you to look at our website. We use all instruments of this vintage, and some older. On some pages we have background music. As you can tell, there are always intonation issues with this equipment.

There ar e afew bands like yours in the USA that I have come across. The slots on the old cornet are very wide which means you have to be careful with intonation but it also means you don't need triggers.

catto09

Link points to wwwindependent rather than www.independent - you need to add the '.'

So it does! Rookie mistake to not actually look at the hover bar at the bottom of the browser. The reason it'll be doing that is because there's a dot after the independentsilverband, so it just treats the whole first bit as the server. Need to go into the actual coding.

[ URL="http://independentsilverband.webs.com"]http://www.independentsilverband.webs.com[/URL ]

Try that. There are of course spaces before after the first "[" and before the last so that you could see the coding. So make sure you remove them

------TEST------

http://www.independentsilverband.webs.com

Thanks to all for the help. It goes right through now. I will put it in as it is above. I appreciate the time. What I don't understand is that it had not shown up.

Bill

Product tMP members are discussing