cork or rubber?

on some instruments the spit key has cork or rubber.which one is the better?personally i prefer rubber..............

NICK HARRIS
SOLO BARITONE CMFCB
NOT A CONDUCTOR
NOT A MEMBER OF ANY WIND ENSEMBLE

i used to have cork but found that rubber seems to fit more tightly onto the tube.also rubber doesn't split much unlike cork which wears out over a period of time and leaks.

nick harris

Now Nick, i wouldn't go for any of them. Blue-tack is far superior, and it also means that if you get bored in a rehearsal you can break some of it off and throw it at people! :wink: :D

Hollso

My Getzen cornet has funny valve button things. They're alright, but my hand gets a bit... wet :roll: They're definately something different.

Trom41821

homocidalbennyboy said:
I've always had cork, so I've never known any different ...
Our trombonist once got a water key cork stuck in his mouthpiece (they were both in his pocket!). Intially he thought the trombone had sprung a leak and as this was 5 minutes before a concert all the joints on his "bone" were taped up with insulating tape. It wasn't until he went on stage that he found the cork in his mouthpiece!!!!!!!!!!

There are many equally as daft stories about this trombone player that I might be persuaded to tell!???

eric

baritone impresario said:
on some instruments the spit key has cork or rubber.which one is the better?personally i prefer rubber..............

NICK HARRIS
SOLO BARITONE CMFCB
NOT A CONDUCTOR
You sad man.... :roll: Does it really matter ?

lynchie

well that was helpful... :roll:

i think we had a thread while back about a fancy new kind of water key... someone more qualified will give you a link I'm sure!

eric said:
baritone impresario said:

NICK HARRIS
SOLO BARITONE CMFCB
NOT A CONDUCTOR
You sad man.... :roll: Does it really matter ?
Glad you noticed!! :lol:

Okiedokie of Oz

I've never had anything except cork personally, but I know people with rubber.

Yes Cork can dry out, but isn't that the advantage?? I mean water left to sit and not dry out would go moldy, wouldn't it with rubber??

Banana

Dave Euph said:
Cork one kept falling out of my old euph, it got a little irritating after a while ... :?
That's the glue, not the material of the bung! Try Uhu. Or am I missing the point (what point?) - aren't you supposed to glue them in?

jameshowell

I personally don't like either...

My Taylor London has Armado waterkeys (I'm guessin they are what the ealier poster "fancy button things" was referring to)

They never leak, they don't spray spit everywhere and they don't dent your tubing.

dyl

I've never been to Cork! And didn't even know there was a place called Rubber. :roll:

Dave Euph

Banana said:
Dave Euph said:
Cork one kept falling out of my old euph, it got a little irritating after a while ... :?
That's the glue, not the material of the bung! Try Uhu. Or am I missing the point (what point?) - aren't you supposed to glue them in?
Never said I blamed the thing ... I just couldn't be bothered to glue it back in so I just wedged it in as far as possible ... :)