"Cool" Horn Solos?

knocker1606

When you say Your Song is quite challenging what do you mean? We're a mid table 3rd section band would it be playable for us?

David Mann

What about...The Summer Knows (Michel Legrand arr. Darrol Barry). Arranged for Trom but in a pretty high register. Lovely tune and a jazzy interlude. Check out the Ian Bousfield recording.
Incidentally, Legrand is touring UK early Feb, chance to hear one of the greatest composers / arrangers around.

floppymute

What about...The Summer Knows (Michel Legrand arr. Darrol Barry). Arranged for Trom but in a pretty high register. Lovely tune and a jazzy interlude. Check out the Ian Bousfield recording.
Incidentally, Legrand is touring UK early Feb, chance to hear one of the greatest composers / arrangers around.

Thanks for that - it sounds like it could be the answer I've been waiting for - and I love Legrand's music. I remember seeing him in concert at Southport Floral Hall nearly 30 years ago & it still ranks as one of the best concerts I've ever experienced.
Do you have any idea of the dates for the upcoming tour or where I can find them?
Thanks! :tup

David Mann

I'm going to Symphony Hall on 2nd Feb. All dates:
Mon 2nd Feb 2009
  • Symphony Hall - Birmingham
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Sun 8th Feb 2009
  • St David's Hall - Cardiff
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Mon 9th Feb 2009
  • Derngate Theatre - Northampton
    • Alison Moyet,
    • Michel Legrand
Thu 12th Feb 2009
  • Shaw Theatre - London
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Fri 13th Feb 2009
  • Shaw Theatre - London
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Sat 14th Feb 2009
  • Shaw Theatre - London
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Tue 17th Feb 2009
  • Opera House - Buxton
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Wed 18th Feb 2009
  • The Sage Gateshead - Gateshead
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet
Sun 22nd Feb 2009
  • The Anvil - Basingstoke
    • Michel Legrand,
    • Alison Moyet

When you say Your Song is quite challenging what do you mean? We're a mid table 3rd section band would it be playable for us?

It would depend on the soloist; it's certainly not a piece where you can just play the notes on the page as it can sound naff if played in the wrong style. There's also a tricky middle section. It's in a pretty high register as well, especially towards the end - ends on a top D with one or two others thrown in before that as well (but I think these are written with alternative options).

It's a very good arrangement and if played well goes down very well with audiences.
On the whole it's not an overly difficult solo and the band parts would be fine for a 3rd section band I think.

Hornic

Cool Solo

People have mentioned Stardust. Does anyone know arranger/publisher of a full band arrangement? I would like to play it but we only have a ten piece version.
Cheers