Contests

So what is it then? Testpiece contests or the Entertainment ones??

• I'm a member of a contesting band, so I'm made to say that I like it!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trigger

I love all contesting, but probably would go for set test piece if I had to choose. Mainly because I feel I have to concentrate more, because I know that 9 times out of 10 there is someone in the audience that plays the exact same part as me and they are listening and watching to see if it is done 'correctly'. :oops:

super_sop

Supporting Member
Until recently, i had never enjoyed contests.
Now, i love em, im not bothered if its set piece, test piece, entertainment or march i like them all.
I think my new perspective has come from now playing with Wem.
i have never enjoyed preparing for contests but Mr T, has knack of making the rehersals fun, but we still work really hard, and seem to get the work done.

Cheers Mr T, for giving me a new outlook on banding

eckyboy

Prefer set pieces if they are new but otherwise the march/hymn/test piece arrangement
Cant be bothered with entertainment contests as they are a lottery but enjoy playing concerts

drinkalot

Contests.

I must say I hate contests!!!!!! Weeks of hard work go into it and very rarely do you come out of it with anything. I've been in the same band for nine years now and have only Won 2 contests!!!!!!!, the second being in December last year. Not a very good record!!!!

Playing should be about producing good quality music, not pleasing a man in a black box.

But each to your own!!!!!! :)

I personally prefer set test pieces, I also think it's easier for the adjudicator! As people said earlier, entertainments contests are always a bit of a gamble, you never know what the adjudicater will be looking for! In my opinion those types of contest should be judged on the the quality of the performance, not comedy value. At the end of the day, we're brass bands, not comedians! Surly a band who gives a good performance should be placed higher than a band who doesn't play so good but has the audience in stitches?! :? :)
Just my opinion! :)

James McFadyen

blue_smarties said:
Surly a band who gives a good performance should be placed higher than a band who doesn't play so good but has the audience in stitches?! :? :)

Depends on what the band think 'entertaining' means - many conductors have different feeling about this. Many believe a traditional view, playing a march a hymn and a few 'concert' piece, many believe on a more comedic performance. I think what alec says about it being pretty much a lottery is very true and I don't think there is any one solution, I don't think it's about just how well you play or just how good of an entertainment the programme is, It's a combination of everything.

However, at the Borders contest, the adjudicators said there was "too much beat" emmmm........well yes! entertainment is supposed to be foot-tappy and if people have a beat in their programme then ooh my god we are so sorry! Maybe everyone should just go out and play some serious symphony! ;) and win because we played it well but lacked what the contest was all about!

I think you can see where I come from - It is an entertainment contest - so entertain - don't be overly-comedicd, it's cheep and tacky, although do it with some taste, but play good charts, real foot-tappers, never let the audience fall asleep - you can NEVER have too much beat in music! ;)

AJSOP

I enjoy all contests. From my point of view I enjoy the own choice ones more, but i think it is a lot easier for the audjudicators if it is a set piece for each band. :wink:

markhall

For me it is the set test piece. Mainly because it forces the band to work at a new style. At our local contest (own choice) you know which bands are going to do a Phillipe Sparke piece, which ones are going to do a Peter Graham piece and which ones play Eric Ball - and the one band that did Paganini every year! While all conductors and players do have their own favourite composers, the set piece format forces us to try new ones and develop new styles of playing.

Tuba Miriam

blue_smarties said:
I personally prefer set test pieces, I also think it's easier for the adjudicator! As people said earlier, entertainments contests are always a bit of a gamble, you never know what the adjudicater will be looking for! In my opinion those types of contest should be judged on the the quality of the performance, not comedy value. At the end of the day, we're brass bands, not comedians! Surly a band who gives a good performance should be placed higher than a band who doesn't play so good but has the audience in stitches?! :? :)

For Entertainment Contests maybe one solution to potentially unmusical comedic performances is closed adjudication (e.g. Milton Keynes contest). At least then the adjudicator is immune to programmes with a comedy bias ... unless he's amused by the playing of course ... :(

lynchie

why does visual entertainment have to be stupid embarressing dancing and dressing up in bear costumes? Maybe if some conductors had a bit more imagination they could come up with something that was enjoyable to watch and listen to! Sometimes all you need is a whole section to move their instruments together to make something that looks really effective, and keeps the audience interested... unfortunately too many bands come into these things without putting any real thought into it and we end up with these shamefully embarrassing programmes, where half the time the "entertainment" part of a piece is someone who doesn't even have an instrument to play!!

I remember a few years back my old youth band did the blackpool entertainments and played a whole set of world music by jan magne forde, which is not something many bands would try admittedly, with choreographed movements around the stage, PROPER singing etc. and we won the most entertaining item prize. We then got slagged off for winning it without playing a "novelty" item! No, we didn't play a stupid item, we played a novelty SET!!

Oh, and I prefer entertainment contests, because I've been dragged up through the ranks of possibly the most entertaining youth band in the country...

Steve

I love set test piece contests purely because you are competing directly with other individual players as well as against whole other bands. I love to see an oposing player in the audience and think "I bet they didnt do it that well" when I finish every passage. Oh, and lets not get into the entertainment contest debate again, I think it has been done before (several times)!!! :roll:

ian perks

Out of the two i do prefer set test pieces as it can be juged fair then.

But going on the last two contests we have been to the same adjudicator was in the box, it MAKES YOU WONDER what he was listening to!!!:x

lynchie

why is a set test better than an own choice? Surely every band has their strengths and weaknesses... why not exhibit the strenghts????