Conjecture, Please

Who played lead trumpet in Edwin Astley's orchestra on the original "Danger Man" theme (0:00 - 4:53)?

Last edited:

trumpetb

No answer from me on this, but there is a bit of background I could turn up, but it is a can of worms.

This Danger Man series was created I believe by ITC which was owned by Sir Lew Grade and they also produced many seminal series such as

The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Adventures Of Sir Lancelot
The Champions (1968)
Danger Man
Department S
Jason King
Jesus of Nazareth
Man in a Suitcase
The Muppet Show
The Persuaders!
The Prisoner
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
The Saint
Space: 1999
Strange Report

This is just a short list of ITC productions during that period.

As for the instrumentalists on these soundtracks they were I believe session musicians and largely unrecorded regarding credits for their work and may have rotated around the work according to availability much like Uan Rasey in MGM rotated around the work although Uan is personally credited for work on many premier productions such as Chinatown, his work was however largely uncredited being simply an available session musician

Among Uans many credits were as you probably already know playing on soundrack for

An American in Paris
Ben-Hur
Bye Bye Birdie
Cleopatra
Gigi
How the West Was Won
My Fair Lady
Singin' in the Rain
Spartacus
West Side Story

I dont hold out much hope for tracking down the trumpet player appearing on the Danger Man sound track.

One possibility is cross linking other productions at the time in the hopes of coming up with a name or names of session musicians appearing on ITC productions.

Lew Grade owned talent agencies and theatre companies at the time however so the task of tracking the player down who appeared in just one series he produced is made more difficult. He could have been engaged for just one gig, we cannot know this.

The fact that it is not documented suggests it was not a prominent player like Roy Castle or Kenny Ball.

That was a lot of words to say "I dont know" but I hope at least some of it might help in your search.

No answer from me on this, but there is a bit of background I could turn up, but it is a can of worms.

This Danger Man series was created I believe by ITC which was owned by Sir Lew Grade and they also produced many seminal series such as

The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Adventures Of Sir Lancelot
The Champions (1968)
Danger Man
Department S
Jason King
Jesus of Nazareth
Man in a Suitcase
The Muppet Show
The Persuaders!
The Prisoner
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
The Saint
Space: 1999
Strange Report

This is just a short list of ITC productions during that period.

As for the instrumentalists on these soundtracks they were I believe session musicians and largely unrecorded regarding credits for their work and may have rotated around the work according to availability much like Uan Rasey in MGM rotated around the work although Uan is personally credited for work on many premier productions such as Chinatown, his work was however largely uncredited being simply an available session musician

Among Uans many credits were as you probably already know playing on soundrack for

An American in Paris
Ben-Hur
Bye Bye Birdie
Cleopatra
Gigi
How the West Was Won
My Fair Lady
Singin' in the Rain
Spartacus
West Side Story

I dont hold out much hope for tracking down the trumpet player appearing on the Danger Man sound track.

One possibility is cross linking other productions at the time in the hopes of coming up with a name or names of session musicians appearing on ITC productions.

Lew Grade owned talent agencies and theatre companies at the time however so the task of tracking the player down who appeared in just one series he produced is made more difficult. He could have been engaged for just one gig, we cannot know this.

The fact that it is not documented suggests it was not a prominent player like Roy Castle or Kenny Ball.

That was a lot of words to say "I dont know" but I hope at least some of it might help in your search.
Thank you for taking the time to provide such an informed and helpful response.

Vegasbound

recorded 1961, possibly Bobby Pratt he had until 1960 been Ted Heath’s high note player, a year or so early for Derek Watkins but it may be as he burst on the scene in his late teens and famously played on the Dr No soundtrack at 17 but always hard to find out for sure as until more recent times session musicians were not named.

but in the Uk the recording/Session scene was hard to break into so unless the player was immediately identifiable like the late great Don Lusher it is always a guessing game

as For Uan, the word is legend and that is how Arturo Sandoval and our own Mike Lovatt regard him.

Product tMP members are discussing