Congratulations Mr. Sparke

HBB

Can I just say Philip, that I have really enjoyed listening to Kaleidoscope, and as I played it through at band last week I really enjoyed it and feel that we have got the best piece of them all by far!

So, well done, and I hope you continue to write works of this standard ... as you have done from before I was born!! :D

:tup ... Well Done! :tup! :D

The Cornet King

Here Here.

My favourite of all Philip Sparke's pieces has to be Year of the dragon. Cracking piece!!
However i think their all great...Hymn of the highlands is just sublime :D

Keep em coming Philip...

PeterBale

Staff member
My first encounter with Philip's music was hearing a broadcast of "Land of the Long White Cloud" on the much-lamented Bandstand programme on Radio 3. I was listening to it at work, and had to stop what I was doing to concentrate on the music instead!

I've enjoyed many since, but I think I would highlight Year of the Dragon, The Vikings and Between the Moon and Mexico, where the writing for the two flugels and horns is magical at times. There's also an excellent alto sax solo on one of the RAF Central cds, but well beyond my abilities, more's the pity :!: :wink: :lol:

Moy

Come on then Philip. Tell us what your favourite piece is and why.
Be honest no matter how difficult or easy I am sure you must have a favourite.
All we fans deserve to know :D

The Cornet King

Moy said:
Come on then Philip. Tell us what your favourite piece is and why.
Be honest no matter how difficult or easy I am sure you must have a favourite.
All we fans deserve to know :D

Indeed, cough up Philip!!
And also could you please tell us who your favourite composer is, modern era or older era and who influenced you and your styles of music??

How about an Autobiography like Peter Roberts????
(p.s If you look at the thread in the rehearsal room entitled "World's Wackeist Piece Names" we have commissioned you to write a few pieces :D :D

Aidan

My favs are land of the long white cloud, Year of the dragon and the horn solo masqerade - brilliant!
Any more horn solos in the pipeline?
Pretty please ;)

WhatSharp?

Malvern Suite, Ok not the most difficult of pieces but I have some very fond memories of playing it over the years and I still love to listen to it, even listening to 4 section bands doing some truly awful things to it still hasn't ruined it for me. Love the Sop part.

Next is a close ties between YOTD and Cambridge Variations.

Keep it up Mr S.

WhatSharp? said:
Malvern Suite, Ok not the most difficult of pieces but I have some very fond memories of playing it over the years

I too have fond memories of it. It was the first test piece I played as a guest for Oughtibridge band in 1999.
I remember finding it very difficult at the time but we came 3rd at the Pogson Bray contest with it. I was hooked on contesting and joined the Band.
A year later we won the B section at Pogson Bray with it and this year we did the same again.

I think the reason we did well with it was that the band really enjoyed playing it

I have left Oughtibridge now but the Malvern Suite will always remind me of the good times I had there

Moy

Unfortunately I have nightmares about Malvern Suite.
We had to play it at the finals and were doing really well at rehearsals...but...when we started the slow movement it went kinda pear shaped. I was conducting and I can well remember hearing my heart beat really loudly as the principal cornet came in early on his entry. It felt like hours before it settled yet when I listened to the recording was hardly noticeable.
But even after that I am still a huge Philip Sparke supporter and love his music.

The Cornet King said:
Hymn of the highlands is just sublime

Chicago Brass Band will have the honor of presenting the North American premiere of the entire 35-minute Hymn of the Highlands on our November 1 concert, which is entitled, "Scots Wha Hae."

We also had the privilege of working with Philip Sparke on a few movements of Hymn of the Highlands in a rehearsal last December. Very enjoyable!