Conductors, do you give it some stick?

Conductors: what do you use?


  • Total voters
    25

Dave Payn

Active Member
I still keep a few just in case, (normally in a baton case, in fact :lol: ) but I suppose I'm a non-baton man now (see avatar. No I'm not directing a meditation group!) I suppose I just find it suits me. I've conducted choirs a fair few times in my past, where batons aren't used that often (and indeed, frowned upon in certain places!)

Regards
 

ploughboy

Active Member
I read a book on conducting technique, I always remember it said conductors should use a baton beacause the players would find it easier to see the baton against various backgrounds.

i think this is probably more use in orchestra's were the players sit alot further away from the man in the middle.
 

satchmo shaz

Active Member
I've got loadsa batons including a pink one yellow one and orange one!! all by molard, very nice to handle actually............. and it makes the b*ggers watch you.......... doesnt it alex!!?? :wink:
 

Steve

Active Member
A Richmond Superking does nicely if you cant afford/be bothered to go to the music shop to buy a baton!! I always end up hurting myself if I use a pencil, deicate hands i guess!!
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
ploughboy said:
I read a book on conducting technique, I always remember it said conductors should use a baton beacause the players would find it easier to see the baton against various backgrounds.

i think this is probably more use in orchestra's were the players sit alot further away from the man in the middle.
I can see that point, but baton technique is another matter. I've seen conductors whose upper arms give a different beat to the baton and they're damn difficult to follow! I think so long as you can clearly indicate where the NEXT beat is coming from, then I'm not sure a baton is absolutely necessary (but it doesn't rule out me using one ever again! I'm sure I will. It's just that I spent years trying to find the baton that suited me best, then discovered I felt more comfortable and clearer in my direction without. Each to their own, I suppose)
 

geordiecolin

Active Member
My brass teacher used to use a pencil when he was conducting in lessons and a wrong note was swiftly followed by the pencil coming into contact with your head!!! Then again this was prefable to various items on your person/in your schoolbag being thrown out of the practice room window (3rd storey)!! My Arban still has a few unreadable mud smeared pages!!

The same guy conductedhe County Youth Jazz Orchestra and didn't "do" beats. Just the slightest hand movement and fingerclicking, he also had secret signs for improv solos etc....
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Nadia said:
in conducting at salford i tend to use a peperami hot... they work really well.
With the added bonus that if someone criticises your stick technique, you can eat the evidence! I did include an optio for 'other' in the poll, but it seems I ran out of space!
 

Aidan

Active Member
i got peckish and ate the evidence before i got to the lesson this week!! so had to make do with a pencil :(
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Nadia said:
i got peckish and ate the evidence before i got to the lesson this week!! so had to make do with a pencil :(
But did you eat the pencil too? If you did, you sound like someone who's easily 'lead'! :roll: :lol:
 

KennyC

Member
Unbelievable but true.

I once witnessed someone (a long time ago, not sure if he's still alive) who presumably hadn't had time to go home for his tea before band practice, conducting our junior band with a chip while the rest of his fish supper rested on the music stand beside the score.

Why is there not a chip box in the poll?

Kenny

Whitburn Band
 

Aidan

Active Member
at the masters, we bet ste sykes he wouldnt conduct with a fairy wand :)
got on stage.. steve opened his jacket and there was a fairy wand in his inner pocket.. the whole band wet themselves and steve took out the baton from just next to it... gutted!
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
KennyC said:
Unbelievable but true.

I once witnessed someone (a long time ago, not sure if he's still alive) who presumably hadn't had time to go home for his tea before band practice, conducting our junior band with a chip while the rest of his fish supper rested on the music stand beside the score.

Why is there not a chip box in the poll?

Kenny

Whitburn Band
Wouldn't conducting with the fish been just as useful? All the band would be able to find their 'plaice' then.... :roll:
 

KennyC

Member
Dave Payn said:
KennyC said:
Unbelievable but true.

I once witnessed someone (a long time ago, not sure if he's still alive) who presumably hadn't had time to go home for his tea before band practice, conducting our junior band with a chip while the rest of his fish supper rested on the music stand beside the score.

Why is there not a chip box in the poll?

Kenny

Whitburn Band
Wouldn't conducting with the fish been just as useful? All the band would be able to find their 'plaice' then.... :roll:
Don't think it would have made much difference. The band were having a whale of a time though.
 
IMO you should use a baton only if it gives you something extra that your hands can't - I see many conductors gripping the baton for dear life. The result is that the baton just follows the direction of the arm. Better to hold it more loosely and therefore allow yourself to move the baton (with the finertips) independantly of the hand/arm if needed.
 

bassinthebathroom

Active Member
Nadia said:
in conducting at salford i tend to use a peperami hot... they work really well.
Trying to follow Aidan's Pepperami (NOT a euphemism), is infact incredibly difficult. Darn thing wobbles around all over the place! Can also get dangerous if a bit breaks off, and get's in your eye! They burn those things you know, especially the 'Hot' ones!! :wink:
 

Aidan

Active Member
that post was incredibly beeeuuurrrggh-ish iain!!!
I think I'm going to switch back to pencils now, cos i'm skint!
you know those peperamis cost 70p!!!! its meant to be a student union shop too!! the cheek!
 
Top