Concert Openers and Finalés

Keppler

Staff member
Hey people..

I've found that in our band, we're often stuck when it comes to thinking of suitable openers and finalés for our concerts. The openers are especially hard - something short, snappy, and impressive, giving an air of progression - while still leaving something better for later on in the programme..

I'd be interested to hear what you people use..

Neal

cornetgirl

Well...at our concert last night we opened with America/Love on the Rocks and closed with Parry's I Was Glad (scariest moment of my life as I'd arranged it)

That semed to work!

Rach x

Boneman

I recommend you to look at our very own Roger Thornes web site, the url is
www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk
There are some cracking openers and enders for bands of all standards (Black Dyke play his Zulu and it is a great finisher!) For an opener there ae some good marches, or 'Opening Brass', for a finale how about 'William Tell' (just the good bits!).

In the main most of the pieces have been written/arranged by Roger and should be playable by most bands, but the very best thing about Roger's site is that you can 'try' before you 'buy' - If you have not seen this you really MUST go and take a look - you can download each score (it only takes a few moments - even for pieces in three movements) and then play them on your PC - thus check it is suitable prior to spending your bands hard earned cash (NB you can order online).

The only software you need is 'Sibelius Scorch' which is free and available from www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk - Again it only takes a few moments to download.

I highley recommend this site - have fun chosing a piece! (also having purchased from the site I can know the final product is as impressive - well printed and no need for an errata!)

BoozyBTrom

We vary our openers but have been using a great finisher and encore.

We finish the concert proper with a piece written for us by Ray Farr. its called the Ugly Peanut and is a mix of Stan Kentons the Peanut Vendor and Errico Moriconnis The Good The Bad And The Ugly.

Including dance moves a Mexican Bandito and Clint Eastwood complete with Hobby Horse.

and our encore is The Cup Of Life. played on our feet with exquisite dance moves and no music. Logistical nightmare as we all dance of stage playing the last few bars waving as we go. 8) 8)

But Worth It the audience love it.

Keppler

Staff member
Thanks Simon..
I'm familiar with Roger's site, and yes indeed, Zulu is a great piece of music..

PS, how much did Roger pay you? ;)

rutty

We often start with "The Waltonian" - cracking fast march. Finishing is something else - we used to use "Young Amadeus" quite a bit, there's some lovely tunes in there in a tune that's written for a wide audience.

picju96

We normally start with a march and our encore is the Can Can. Finisher varies though. Sometimes we have started with Blenheim Flourishes as well though, and Fanfare and Flourishes is also good.

Boneman

Thanks Simon..
I'm familiar with Roger's site, and yes indeed, Zulu is a great piece of music..

PS, how much did Roger pay you?

Unfortunatley Roger didn't give me a bean! - However if you need a publicity officer Rog . . . I come at a very reasonable rate![/quote]

Heather

A publicity officer is something Roger definately does NOT need!!!
He manages extremely well on his own!!!!

Di B

Hmmm..... we usually start off with a traditional march which I find a bit boring to be honest!

Our last concert was better when we opened with 'No business like showbusiness' fast and foot tapping to get the audience in the right mood, but leaves you plenty of scope for the later program.

Our finale... do we have a set one???? I don't think so as we try and change our program round as much as possible to eliminate boredom for us and our regular audience! :)

The encore part is an unusual one.... we slow it right down and play 'Irish Blessing.' It is a nice and thoughtful way to end but after a couple of hours my lips really don't appreciate those top C's!!!

Straightmute

We vary our programes and I like to experiment with different openers and finales, but try to avoid the obvious.

For our concert in York on Sunday night we'll be premiering a new arrangement of the March from Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite for Orchestra and ending with Cornetgirl's stunning antiphonal arrangment of I was Glad. As a contrast we'll start the second half with Vitae Lux which always works well in a good acoustic.

D

satchmo shaz

we tend to do a march but also something like I got rhythmn or theres no business like show business, Irish blessing or how great thou art is always in there, as is a couple of solos, maybe a duet deep inside the sacred temple or trom trio slides in swingtime and to finish Elsas procession or Farendole , depends what sort of concert it is cheers shaz :wink:

flashbarry

Hi All

Heres a few good concert openers all from Darrol Barry:-

Starchaser, Century Explorer, Cosmopolitan, Firestar, Go For Gold, Ledger Way, American Dream, Olympic Fanfare and Theme (John Williams), Mancunian Way, Star Trek Voyager, The Trap.

Heres some finishers:- Where Eagles Dare, Homage March (Grieg), Great Western Themes, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Theres plenty more where they came from!!!!!!
:lol:
Flash
xx

cornetgirl

Straightmute said:
For our concert in York on Sunday night we'll be premiering a new arrangement of the March from Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite for Orchestra and ending with Cornetgirl's stunning antiphonal arrangment of I was Glad. D

Stunning????? Really!!!!!! Ooooooooh wow!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...first ever brass band arrangement, I'm allowed to be overcome!!! :lol:

yorkie19

At our last concert (Stroud), we opened with On the Quarter Deck which had been requested, finished the first half with Peter Graham's Ad Optimum, opened with second half with Parade of the Charioteers and finished up with some excerpts from Bernstein's Symphnoic Dances from West Side Story.

Generally, we open with the march Yorkshire Imperial, though.

Sam
Imps

Aidan

yeah we normally open with the march Whitefield too... anyone else got any signiture tunes??
is that sam kind?