Concert and contest choices

Laserbeam bass

Active Member
I would be grateful if anyone could answer the two following questions.

1) Has anybody played the Freeh arragement of A Glenn Miller Suite? If so is it any better than Miller Magic or Glenn Miller Special? Any thoughts appreciated, as the cheapest retail price is £56.00. Don't want to buy it for the band unless it is any good.

2) Does anyone know who publishes "The Essence of Time" by Peter Graham? I have tried Gramercy music, but without any luck. In addition I have tried all my usual outlets to no avail.

Cheers

LBB
 

DublinBass

Supporting Member
Laserbeam bass said:
Does anyone know who publishes "The Essence of Time" by Peter Graham? I have tried Gramercy music, but without any luck. In addition I have tried all my usual outlets to no avail.

According to my music, its (c) 1989 by Rosehill Music right there in Beacontree.
 

Redhorn

New Member
BBCbari said:
...... right there in Beacontree.

Unfortunately for us its BeaconSFIELD in leafy Buckinghamshire, not Becontree in leafy Dagenham! (Not that any of us come from Becontree, nor do we practice there! :) )
 

Laserbeam bass

Active Member
bbbrec said:
Ah, but it has an 'a' in it on the sign post near the moby dick pub, where it says Beacontree Heath! ;)


Back off topic "Moby Dick" was a work of fiction as was that signpost. Mr H please don't take the p out of my brother, that is my divine right, and he may not help out at any jobs we might want him to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

HBB

Active Member
Laserbeam bass said:
Back off topic "Moby Dick" was a work of fiction as was that signpost. Mr H please don't take the p out of my brother, that is my divine right, and he may not help out at any jobs we might want him to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
According to you you ARE your brother :evil:
 

Redhorn

New Member
HBB said:
According to you you ARE your brother :evil:

Have they ever been spotted in the same place together!?.... ;)

That signpost is definitely fact, I used to drive past it on my way to work every day!

As was heard at Crawley recently- "Theres no f in Becontree!' :)
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
After the geography lesson, let's get back to music, and has anyone played the Glenn Miller selection?
 

Redhorn

New Member
Laserbeam bass said:
1) Has anybody played the Freeh arragement of A Glenn Miller Suite? If so is it any better than Miller Magic or Glenn Miller Special? Any thoughts appreciated, as the cheapest retail price is £56.00. Don't want to buy it for the band unless it is any good.

Yes, indeed I have, LBB! ;)
If I remember rightly it has rip-roaringly high Solo Horn a la Alto Sax all the way through! (Note to self: Find 'rangefinder' mouthpiece when I get home tonight! ;) )

And If Im right, isnt that the piece that has 1st Bari freeform Jazz solos all the way through, causing consternation to anyone with elvis-like tendencies???... :D

Cracking set of pieces, should go down a storm in concerts/parks! :clap:

PS Please can we purchase 'The Essence of Time' VERY quickly, before we start looking at Mvt 3 of Year of the Dragon! :oops:
 
Last edited:

Laserbeam bass

Active Member
bbbrec said:
Yes, indeed I have, LBB! ;)
If I remember rightly it has rip-roaringly high Solo Horn a la Alto Sax all the way through! (Note to self: Find 'rangefinder' mouthpiece when I get home tonight! ;) )

And If Im right, isnt that the piece that has 1st Bari freeform Jazz solos all the way through, causing consternation to anyone with elvis-like tendencies???... :D

Cracking set of pieces, should go down a storm in concerts/parks! :clap:

PS Please can we purchase 'The Essence of Time' VERY quickly, before we start looking at Mvt 3 of Year of the Dragon! :oops:

Had a chance to look through it myself, and found it to be a very good "arrangement" of the Miller pieces. For arrangement read " Direct lift from the big band parts". As my learned recruitment officer has stated, it is pitched at a rather nasty range for the saxhorn family, but is the best version of any Miller that I have played. Shame our band can only swing when we're winning.

PS

No
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top