Computer Programming

James McFadyen

As a little hobby I've always wanted to take up computer programming.

I have MS C++ and would really like some tips on programming, I know a little about C++, but really I know nothing! :wink:

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or source code or even websites about programming using C++

Keppler

Staff member
http://www.codeproject.com/ is a good resource. Pushing more on .NET now, but still has some emergent ideas. Besides, once you get into it, computer languages are just syntactical differences on the same ideas (at a high level)

As for tips, it's difficult to tip without knowledge of what you're doing and/or where you're going wrong (if at all)

bruceg

James McFadyen said:
As a little hobby I've always wanted to take up computer programming.

I have MS C++ and would really like some tips on programming, I know a little about C++, but really I know nothing! :wink:

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or source code or even websites about programming using C++
Talk to me tonight James about the sort of stuff you're thinking about doing and I'll see if I can help. One thing I would advise is not to use C++ unless you have a good grasp of object oriented techniques. For hobby use you'd probably be better getting to grips with some of the web based technologies: VBScript, JScript, PHP and the like...

amgray

Given the effort Microsoft are putting into dotNET, maybe you should consider C#, a new language that is more user friendly than C++.
There are plenty of printed and online resources for C# - and you can get a fully functional free personal edition of C# Builder from Borland
http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_csharpbuilder.html
Borland products feature some of the easiest to use development environments around (OK - I'm a Delphi developer so I'm biased).

Best of luck!!!

neiltwist

i started off using QBasic, which was very easy to use.

you can start off by just literally typing print "My name is Neil", which will output to the screen
[code:1:6d4862cfc6]My name is Neil[/code:1:6d4862cfc6]
Then you can make it appear indefinately!

[code:1:6d4862cfc6]My name is Neil
My name is Neil
My name is Neil
My name is Neil
My name is Neil
...[/code:1:6d4862cfc6]

yes it is sad, but it is very simple, and you can make your own games etc with a bit more complex language functions!

matty1986

I will go with neiltwist on this one,,,if your just starting off it's a better idea to start with something like QuickBasic to get a grasp of systax codes and programming conctructs. Then progress to more advanced high level languages!

winterman

A general resource which I live by for job and hobby is http://www.codehound.com a great search engine for developer related stuff.

I would agree with the others about starting with something a bit simpler than C++ but hey if it takes your fancy welcome to the "In at the deep end" world of programming.

Mic Tyler
Principle Euphonium
Drighlington Band

Okiedokie of Oz

A lot of programming languages all revolve around similar principles. Start with a basic language (QBasic!!!) and move it up. I worked a lot years ago in turboPascal C++ at school.